Monday, April 27, 2009

How I spent my Spring Break

I’ve made a decision. I’m quitting work. I’m off to Hawaii to become a private investigator. I’ll live in bungalow on a palatial estate and drive a Ferrari. I’ll have string of disastrous relationships with an unending series of beautiful women. (I won’t need any practice on that last part.) Most of all, I want a Detroit Tigers hat.

I know what you’re thinking. Yeah, I was watching Magnum p.i. on the Retro Network, among my many other official vacation duties. (You can guess how important the rest were given that clue.) The show holds up remarkably well for being for 20 years old. Perhaps because of the great scenery and because it was so personality driven. Magnum versus Higgins banter never gets old.

Okay, I can live without the rest of it, but I want that hat. I used to have one during the 80’s. The Tigers were my favorite team and Magnum was one of my favorite shows. Time and usage caused me to love said hat to death. In 2006, I almost got a new hat for Christmas from my parents, if the Tigers would have won the World Series. (Likewise, I’ve been promised Rockies and Rays’ hats if they had won. I’ve been thoroughly blued the last three years.) Somehow it doesn’t seem right to just go out and buy the hat. It’s like it has to be earned on some level. Unfortunately, the Tigers are unlikely to do well this year. Indeed, the entire city of Detroit may be taking after the Lions and their historic ineptitude last year.

One of the Magnum episodes I saw involved him turning 40, and how he was worried about a dramatic change in personality and lifestyle to follow. I can sympathize. I doubt I’m going to look like Tom Selleck three months from now, even if I grow a mustache.

(Sigh.)

I want that damn hat.

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment