Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Baseball Journal 4-29-14 Opening Night

I was there!  Sort of.  I was listening!  For most of it.  Darn it.  Tim mentioned that in the coming years far more than the 9,000+ in attendance will claim to have been at this inaugural game for the new ballpark and the true home opener for the Chihuahuas.  You can add to that an even more select group of those who stayed up and saw or listened to the end, and those who only claimed to have experienced it.

Congratulations to the organization for starters.  Whatever misgivings myself and others have about the origin of the team and their ultimate fate in El Paso, last night was one of celebration.  At 5:00, I snuck into the breakroom at work to watch the local news.  At least three of the local networks (probably all of them) were broadcasting from the stadium and doing stories.  They discussed a few issues, but mostly kept it upbeat, which was entirely appropriate.  One of my co-workers and even my boss came in to watch some of the coverage. 

I saw a couple of different interviews with the fellow who named the team, who’s become the team’s unofficial ambassador.  There was an interview with the deep toned public address announcer, who certainly got a workout announcing the teams before the game.  (And in spite hearing it 10 times, I missed his name.)  All of the players were introduced like an All-Star game.  The dogs were introduced with Sirius playing in the background (a la “Your Chicago Bulls!).  The “Fear the ears” maneuver was displayed by the players.  The construction workers were honored before the game.  Given the forced march schedule of demolition and construction and that the stadium did open when promised, they certainly deserved the praise. 

Watching the TV coverage was likely my first mistake of the evening.  It was good to actually see the stadium, but the local radio coverage was probably better.  My dad, who was listening to it instead, seemed to get something out of it.  My apprehension of KROD’s commitment to baseball has so far been placated.  They’ve even resumed playing ESPN’s Sunday night baseball.

I’m starting to get embarrassed heaping praise on the voice of the Chihuahuas, Tim Hagerty.  Tim had a real sense of history being made tonight and was in top form painting lyrical spoken word pictures of the stadium, the crowd, the players, and the action.  One of the newscasts teased an interview with Tim, but it didn’t come on during the early broadcast, so I missed it and can’t comment on it.  Certainly he was also endearing himself to the crowd, even though they probably didn’t hear him, as Tim repeatedly praised fan knowledge about how the game is played.  Tim even gave a little love to the umps before the game, saying how proud they must be to be there.

The ballpark itself had a couple of interesting features mentioned.  There’s a single empty seat held for fallen and overseas military members.  There’s even knothole access to fans out on the street like at AT&T Park in San Francisco to see the game.  I think people are cycled in and out every three innings there.  Given that they sellout about every game, they can give some free looks.  People are also able to watch from the tops of buildings across the street in El Paso.  I’ve heard that that was the origin of the Green Monster at Fenway in Boston.  That it came about to block that kind of view, unlike the rooftops at Wrigley in Chicago.  I wouldn’t wait for stands to start appearing on El Paso building tops.

The fans seem to have already chosen favorites amongst the players.  I don’t know how this will work out in the long run.  From what I’ve seen, Triple A rosters are highly transitory.  The teams made up of veterans trying to get back into the show, prospects who are ready for their chance but are positional-ly blocked, and a couple of “Crash Davis” types who are there for organizational stability.  These guys can, and will, be moved at anytime with frequency.  The Double A experience was generally young players together as a unit, trying prove that they’re ready to move on.  It might not be a good idea to get too attached to anybody on the Chihuahuas.    

The team arrived in El Paso during the day and were met by about 100 fans.  (Since they were there during the day, the city really should have had a Mariachi band and Folklorico dancers there for them.)  Cody Decker made the biggest hit wearing a pink ascot, a fedora, and sunglasses.  I don’t know what the story was behind that outfit, but I suspect there is one.  Fans were chanting his name during an at bat at one point late in the game. 

I was impressed by Travis Buck, not only hitting the first homer in the park, thus making the first score, but also for hitting the light tower on the pitch before.  If that had gone out, hopefully they have the music from The Natural on hand to play for the trip around the bases.  Travis was also hit by a pitch earlier, which he caught between his elbow and body.  I would have liked to have seen that.  The best defensive play, that I could tell, goes to Rico Noel for making a great catch in the 8th to keep the game tied.

Wind was apparently not a factor in this game, nor was altitude.  Right now the balls are kept in a humidor like at Coors Field.  In spite of watching several weather forecasts at the ballpark, I never found out which way the wind was blowing relative to the stadium.  I don’t know what kept the ball down, but the score was 1 to 1 for most of the game and then some. 

I knew that the game wouldn’t be finished by the time my time at work was done.  There was also something on TV I wanted to watch at 10:00.  Here, I made another poor decision to go ahead and stay and keep listening, since I wouldn’t be able to listen at home.  It was a bad decision because an hour and half later, the game still wasn’t final.  Then I made the last bad decision of the night, and left at 11:00.  I wouldn’t get the final score, 2-1 Fresno Surfing Bears, err Grizzlies, until the next morning.       

It was just as well.  I would have hated to have heard the dogs lose their first game anyway.  Certainly the experience was going to be very memorable for those who stayed to the end.  It was probably really memorable for people parked at the meters.  I wonder what those people did as the clock ticked down.  I also wonder about the local businesses in the area.  I can’t see them getting much business after this game. 


Whatever.  The crowd was into every pitch for most of the game and seemed to be enjoying themselves.  There’s was even a singing contest between one side of the stadium and the other during one mid-inning.  I’ve still got questions about this whole enterprise, but at least everything got off on the right foot.  I was very pleased to have heard the game, and I think most of the fans in attendance had a good time, which is what this is all about.  

No comments:

Post a Comment