Thursday, October 20, 2016

NMSU Aggies vs Eastern Arizona Softball 10-16-16

After two overtimes and getting autographs at the soccer match, I entered the next door softball stadium just as the warm-ups were finishing.  The soccer PA had mentioned the free softball game a couple of times during the match, but there wasn’t much of a crowd.  The Aggies’ official photographer was out working both events, but I got the impression he’d just assume not be here either.  Hard to blame anybody, since the games don’t count and the stands are directly facing the hot sun.  Since it’s a free game there’s no program, no announcers, no scoreboard, and no scorecard.  So take my game recap with a grain of salt.

I noticed the team’s former catcher and just graduated senior, Tatum Reedy, was sitting at the scorer’s table.  I kept wanting to go over to ask what her plans were now and to say that I enjoyed watching her play, but I wasn’t sure how that would go over.  Though she wasn’t in the game, Tatum couldn’t suppress occasionally working in some encouraging chatter during the game to the girls.

Tatum’s apparent successor #2 Alexis Maynez, started behind the plate for Game One.  She greeted the home plate ump and introduced herself.  (Yeah, I could hear that.  It was that quiet.)  I like the way she’s always shouting out stuff during the game to the girls and her pitcher.  New Mexico State’s opponent is Eastern Arizona College.  I don’t know what their name is, and there wasn’t even a recap of this weekend’s games on the Aggie website.  We’re going to go with EAC and AZ to identify them from here out.

Some of regular senior citizen fans were present.  A couple of guys were talking about yesterday’s games, which I missed being at the volleyball game.  Ron’s nemesis was there.  I found out his name is Tom.  He started his usual cheering when the game started, but then stopped and moved to a spot further away from the field.  He said he thought he was disturbing the visiting team.  (Like I said, it was quiet there.)  An EAC fan entering the stands in a Cubs shirt started up a discussion of the National League championship series.  His wife was wearing a Dodgers shirt.  I suspect some tension brewing in that household.  

On the other side of the stadium, a couple of fans were tucked under the pavilions for shade.  Meanwhile, I was using an umbrella to keep from getting toasted (along with my third application of sunblock for the afternoon).  This proved dangerous as I completely couldn’t see an early foul ball coming over the screen.  Luckily, it missed me by a good margin.        

#14 Kayla Green started the game.  She’s got a lot of moving parts to her pitching motion and something was off.  After a hit by pitch and a pair of mis-pitches, a runner came in from third to score in the 1st inning, making the score 0-1 EAC.  In the bottom, #17 Kelsey Horton hit a pop up on infield with #10 Amy Bergeson on first.  The ball dropped untouched near first between three infielders and rolled foul.  It was a live ball, but somehow it was treated like a foul by the AZ girls.  Amy scored and Kelsey took second.  Somehow, I think that has to count as an RBI double, since nobody touched the ball or misplayed it.  Kelsey was thrown out trying to steal third and we’re 1-1 after one inning.

There was a conversation about the Aggie volleyball game this evening versus the Lobos, and I was able to chip in with the time and radio station for it.  I’d written that down and had my radio with me ready for it.  Kayla unfortunately can’t find the strike zone in the 2nd inning.  Coach Kathy Rodolph took her out and put in #22 Fahern Glackin.  Kayla went back to the bullpen and started working with an assistant coach.  The bases were loaded with one out, but Fahern got out of it without damage.  The bottle of water I’d brought with me that I’d saved for this game turned to vapor as it hit my mouth.  It wasn’t very refreshing.

In the 3rd, an EAC hitter tripped on first base getting a single.  She’s okay, but I’m trying not to laugh.  A double play ended the Aggie half of the inning.  In the 4th, a Texas leaguer brought in another EAC run.  We’re 1-2 AZ after four.  I notice that the Coke sign is still in the outfield.  Along with new uniforms, the softball team will be changing that next year too.

The 5th started off with a home run by EAC.  Fahern came out and Kayla came back in.  A young man behind me made the foreshadowing comment about her offspeed pitch that, “You could swing at it twice and still miss it.”  With that, her first offspeed of the afternoon drew a gasp from the entire crowd.  This was the classic Kayla we love watching.  She finished off the rest of the inning quickly.  The Aggies loaded the bases with one out in their half.  A sac fly brought in one run.  A popped up bunt dropped in.  The runner on third made a break for it, dodged the tag and scored.  We’re at 3 all after five.

Kayla gets three ground outs to end the top of the 6th.  I should mention that #13 for AZ is pitching a pretty good game.  The team defense is letting her down.  There’s some ribbing going on in stands between Dodger and Cubs fans.  This kind of chatter is something I wasn’t getting during the spring games.  Kayla racked up three more ground outs in the 7th.  The Aggie Soccer team, not in uniform, came by.  I smile and applaud Tuti Tirado, whom I’d talked to while getting her autograph.  I’m not sure if she recognized me (or she thought I was cheating on her, watching another women’s team).

For the top of the 8th, I figured that they’d call the game at this point, since it was an exhibition.  The two coaches came out and just agreed to keep playing.  No umpires were involved.  A double play ended the top, and a new AZ pitcher came in for the bottom.  In the 9th, the senior crowd abandoned ship.  The soccer teams also left.  I don’t blame them.  It’s hot and unpleasant, and they’d already sweat enough for the afternoon.  Plus, I doubt they understood the concept of playing a game until somebody wins.  (Just a joke.  Don’t get mad.)  Kayla racked up a couple more ground outs and a strikeout.  The 10th and 11th innings pass without notable activity.

The new Aggie pitcher, #21 Samaria Diaz, comes in for the 12th.  An AZ batter bunts to move a runner on first to second, but the runner over slides at second and is out.  But with a runner on, the next batter hits a monster two-run homer to give EAC a 3-5 lead.  I take the blame for this.  I fiddling with my radio earplugs, getting ready to listen to the volleyball game, and wasn’t paying attention to game.

The least I could do at this point was put my new Aggie hat in rally mode and help the team win.  (I’ve actually done this before.)  #3 Victoria Castro gets it started with a double.  #15 (Misty Hoohuli?) brings her in, and then scores herself on a #18 Rachel Rodriguez hit and an error.  With the score tied, Rachel scores the winning run on fielder’s choice.  You’re welcome.  It was literally the most unenthusiastic extra innings win ever.  Nobody on field celebrated.  They almost kept playing.  And we still have another game to play today.

(Really guys, couldn’t you have done this walkoff thing in the 7th?  And why didn’t I think to use the rally hat during overtime at the soccer match?  I’ve been having problems with new hat, but it really came through in the clutch though.)

During the intermission, I sat in the shade and ate a pear that looked like it had aged a week from being out in the sun that afternoon and a chocolate muffin that had probably achieved nuclear fusion temperatures.  I chugged the last of my water vapor from the bottle before it evaporated.  I chatted with the EAC/Cubs fan in the bathroom for a moment about the Cubs’ win earlier in the week, and I start listening to the Aggie volleyball game against the Lobos on my radio.

For Game Two, Samaria was back out to pitch for the Aggies.  Most of the regulars seemed to be back out for the Aggies.  I can’t tell you about the EAC players.  Long shadows were breaking over the stands and the field.  Just looking at time, I was pretty sure they were not going to get this game in before sundown.  Would they turn on the lights for this?

In the top of the 1st, a double play occured off a pop up that doubled off a runner on second.  (No infield fly rule?)  In the bottom of the inning, AZ returned favor with a caught liner that doubled off a runner, completing another double play.  I notice that the Aggies in the dugout have really turned up the volume on their singing with the greatly diminished crowd.  Between innings, the EAC coach came over and actually chatted with a couple of their travelling fans in the stands.

In the 2nd, the Cowboys won over the Packers at Lambeau 30-16, and the Aggie volleyball team went up 1 set to none on the Lobos in Albuquerque.  Five foul balls fly out of stadium during the top of the inning.  The EAC coach told her bench players to run out and get them.  (I think they have a pretty limited supply of balls for the game.)  In the bottom, another Aggie is caught stealing.  They aren’t getting any benefit of doubt calls from the umps this time, unlike last week.  The next batter is thrown out trying to stretch a single into a double.  The running game may not be there for the team.                    

It may be from being out in the sun all afternoon, or perhaps I’ve poisoned myself from the fourth application of sunblock, but I briefly become delusional.  I start thinking I’m the only one in stands (which isn’t far from reality) and that the girls are out there playing just for me . . . Oh, hey!  Victoria just hit a three-run homer with two outs!  I snap out of it, and the Aggies are up 3-0 after two.

In the top of the 3rd, Aggie #11 (?), the new catcher, guns down a runner trying to take second.  In the bottom, Amy gets a single, steals second, and takes third on a bad pickoff throw.  She almost takes home too and almost gets tagged out diving back.  The EAC fans are upset about the call.  Fahren drives her in, and Amy gets the hustle award.  4-0 Aggies.  Kelsey gets a single and moves to second on an error.  #11 (?) hits an RBI single, 5-0.  #8 Hayley Nakamura gets a bunt single to load the bases.  Hit by pitch, 6-0.  Victoria, another RBI hit, 7-0.  Meanwhile in Albuquerque, the Lobos take the second set.

By the 4th inning, the field is completely in shadow.  In the 5th, the lights come on.  So much for the game being called on account of darkness.  The AZ left fielder makes a great catch on a liner.  However, Aggie #7 (?) later triples.  #24 Corrin Green doubles her in.  8-0 Aggies.  What’s the mercy rule number?  Victoria gets an RBI double, 9-0.  Are we there yet?  In the 6th, Aggie #9 (?) singles and ends up on third after a misplay.  #23 (?) drives her in on fielder’s choice.  10-0 Aggies.  Apparently, there isn’t a mercy rule in effect.

Samaria finished off the shutout in the 7th with a 10-0 win.  Well done.  The EAC coach came out on the field.  She asked if they could go ahead and play the bottom of the inning so one of her pitchers can get some work.  Sure!  Three outs later, it’s over.  It’s finally over.  The Aggies are tired, but happy.  From what I’ve seen, the team looks pretty good.  I’m looking forward to next year.

Okay, I’ve been outside at the university for 8 hours today.  I’m finished and done.  Shoot, this is my seventh Aggie game in the last two weeks that I’m attending, taking notes, and writing up.  I’m Aggie’d out.  At least, I’m off this coming weekend.  Unfortunately, I won’t be going to the football game, though I’ll be listening on the radio.  After I get home, crap!  The Aggie volleyball team loses in four sets.  Adam Young, calling the game, is stunned.  It was a team with an 11 game winning streak meeting a team with a 7 game losing streak.  Neither streak was going to continue indefinitely, especially with the Aggies dinged up and tired from a bunch of matches, including one yesterday and then having to travel today.  Something had to give.  Oh, I hate to end on this.  Hopefully, I’ll be able to see them return to form in two weeks.                  

No comments:

Post a Comment