Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Baseball Journal April 5-8, 2018

Much like last year, I wasn’t sure about continuing to do this journaling.  Looking back, I noticed my month-by-month journal kept getting bigger with every month.  As long as Aggie Baseball and Softball are going on, I’m not interested in doing detailed accounts of other games.  For now, I’ll just make notes on things that happen during games that I find interesting, even if it’s not on-field action.  Honestly, if you’re going to enjoy baseball, you have enjoy the silly, weird nonsense that surrounds the sport.

4-5-18
This was the first day since Opening Day that I was really able to get into some games.  I’d been watching or listening to bits of games every day though.  I’ve even been watching some replays of games from last year being broadcast on the Stadium Network.  Earlier in the week, they showed Nolan Arenado hitting for the cycle on Father’s Day and finishing it off with a home run.  Friday (4-6-18), they showed Edinson Volquez’s no-hitter.  It was interesting to watch knowing the outcome ahead of time.  Volquez was injured covering first on the first batter of the game.  There were several great plays in the field early on and a review-overturned infield hit to keep it going.  Up to halfway through the game, the big news for the broadcasters was that it was “Bark in the Park” day there in Miami with dogs everywhere. 

After getting new tires in the morning (after getting new brakes and shocks the day before), I picked up a great lunch at Raising Canes, a new chicken strip place that opened up nearby, which nearly made up for my monetary hemorrhaging.  Back at home, thanks to the quick and friendly service at Discount Tires, I was in time to catch the Rangers playing the A’s in a matinee in Oakland.  Curiously for a weekday afternoon, they had 10,000 in attendance, the largest crowd of the series.  Unfortunately I missed the last inning due to the length of the game and having to go to work.  The Rangers would win 6-3, though it was closer than that when I left.

I found myself tickled by an exchange between Eric Nadel and Matt Hicks calling the game for the Rangers.  Today was the Philadelphia Phillies home opener.  Their new rookie manager, Gabe Kapler, was boo’d when introduced.  Matt: “Isn’t that a term of endearment in Philadelphia?”  Eric: “One Opening Day, the fans there rolled out a banner in center field that read, ‘Just wait till next year.’”  Kapler’s had a rough week as he’s been blamed for the team’s losses due to his strategy of constantly bringing in new pitchers into the game.  Nothing against him, but I hope this scheme fails terribly.  It’s resulted in some very long games. 

The upper deck seats at the coliseum have been un-tarped for this season, giving them a bunch more seats available.  Matt chuckled about seeing three fans sitting up on “Mount Davis” last night.  He was worried that they were trapped there in the snow cap.  There’s a “free” game scheduled in Oakland this year to give back further to the fans, who are going to be losing their football and basketball teams shortly.  Even hearing that statement clearly over the radio, I’m still having a hard time believing it.  I don’t want to predict a riot, but let’s make sure there’s a profound police presence at the park that day.  The A’s ownership is committed to staying in Oakland for now and hoping to win over the fans in town and maybe get a new stadium there.

After getting to work and checking the final score, I put on the Tigers versus the White Sox on MLB.TV.  It was the Sox Opening Day.  It was 40 chilling degrees in Chicago at first pitch, and 35 when I joined the game in the eighth with the Sox up 7-3.  During the game, I saw a first baseman helping a runner at first put on a thermal hood, like he was dressing his kid for cold weather.  I’m sure the last two things fans there wanted at that point was a loss and extra innings.  The Tigers would tie it and win 9-7 in the tenth.  It was a four-hour game.  I felt bad for the fans.  Strangely, this was my second extra innings game of the young season, as I’d seen the Red Sox and Marlins play extras earlier in the week.        

Later in the night, the El Paso Chihuahuas had their first game of the season.  They were starting on the road in Las Vegas against the 51’s.  This would be the last Opening Day at Cashman Field downtown.  They were getting a new stadium in the suburbs next year.  Hopefully, they’ll be getting a new name with it.  Tim Hagerty mentioned that the team was using a bat-retrieving dog.  That seems hard to believe, but I’ve got try and find video of that.  The PA at the stadium kept playing music during pitches.  The new reduced time on the pitch clock may have been throwing him off.  The umpire was getting repeatedly annoyed.

During the game, the Chihuahuas loaded the bases in the seventh with no outs and failed to score.  They ended up winning the game though, 4-2.  Well, this result was in direct opposition to the stat I’d heard during Aggie Baseball (3-29-18) that teams doing that nearly always lose.  So much for statistics.

4-6-18
It was a double win for the Aggies tonight.  Aggie Softball won 4-2 over Bakersfield.  I watched part of the game on TV.  In Bakersfield, Aggie Baseball beat the Roadrunners 9-3.  Kyle Bradish went 6 innings and only gave up 2 runs.  Joey Oritz had 5 RBI’s and a home run.  David Bellamy also had 2 RBI.  I was surprised NM State covered softball for the weekend instead of traveling and doing radio for baseball.  The Chihuahuas lost their second game 5-2 to the 51’sZach Wheeler was on rehab pitching for Las Vegas and looked good.  There was a Star Wars themed fireworks show afterward.

4-7-18
Before I went to Aggie Softball in the afternoon, I caught a Red Sox versus the Rays game on Mexican TV.  I only found the game flipping around the stations.  I’m going to have to start checking the TV schedule better.  This was a NESN/Red Sox broadcast, not a Fox one.  Fox was showing a UFC documentary instead baseball Saturday.  The Sox won in a blow out on a bright, sunny freezing cold day in Boston.  When I got home from softball, I caught the very end of a Rockies game.  They won it off a walking walkoff as the winning run was forced home on a base on balls.  I swear they didn’t mention who they playing until after the game.  The big baseball news of the day was Shohei Ontani.  After hitting three home runs for the week, in his second pitching start, he had a perfect game going through 19 batters and struck 12 to get the win.  I’m starting to believe.

4-8-18
I almost entirely missed the Chihuahuas beating the 51’s today.  I didn’t even get down the final score.  Between watching my sports paramour Alex Morgan scoring a couple of goals in a 6-2 trouncing of Mexico by US Women’s soccer and watching some of the Masters with my dad, all I heard was little snippets.  I did hear that the pups scored 6 runs in the last two innings for a come-from-behind win.  I got some Raising Canes chicken strips for my dad.  He was impressed with them too.


Later in the evening, I ran into my third extra innings MLB game of the season, as the Mets beat the Nationals 6-5 in a series sweep in DC.  The best part was the ESPN announcer telling a story about Bryce Harper.  He had asked Joey Gallo of the Rangers, who had played with him in Little League, to tell his best Harper story.  Bryce was a pitcher and threw so hard that only Gallo volunteered to catch him.  After Harper had struck out to end an inning, he came out to the mound and warmed up angry. He threw the ball so hard, he hit Gallo.  Joey started crying and they took him out of the game.  They gave him ice cream and sat down between his mom and Mrs. Harper and watched the rest of the game and never tried catching again.  I can barely type this for laughing so hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment