Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Baseball Journal June 4-8, 2018

6-4-18

I thought I was going to get shutout today on baseball.  The Chihuahuas had the day off and the MLB.TV free game was on earlier in the day.  Thankfully, there was still baseball on television on FOX Sports Arizona with the Diamondbacks visiting the Giants.  It’s not been convenient for me to watch the TV in the break room at work.  Today, I got things done quick enough that I was able eat my dinner there with the pregame on.  Actually, I enjoyed seeing that.  It made me sort of wish I was able to do this at home on a nightly basis. 

On the MLB Network, it was Draft day.  They’re trying to make a big deal out of it like the NFL or NBA draft, but generally it takes years to groom a professional ballplayer.  These players won’t be making an impact on their teams for quite a while, so it’s hard to get excited in that respect.  However, we are eagerly waiting to see where and when Aggie standout pitcher, Kyle Bradish, is going to go.  The MLB Network goes all out for the production.  If there hadn’t been a game on that I was interested in, I might have watched it more than just peeking in.

The game in San Francisco started with a moment of silence for the passing of iconic 49’er Dwight Clark today.  As a former Cowboys fan (now I don’t like anybody in the NFL), I wish I could forget “The Catch.”  It was a typical cold, windy June evening by the bay.  The crowd mics were turned way up.  The hot dog guy was at times overpowering the commentators.  Derek Holland, the “Dutch Oven,” started for the Giants.  Pablo Sandoval, looking much slimmer than in previous years, was playing first with Brandon Belt out for a burst appendix.             

Holland struck out the side to begin the game.  Later, Bob Brenly was complaining about the strike zone, but only from the D-Backs’ side.  (He has gotten way too homer to listen to.)  The ump was calling a wide zone for both teams.  Derek got in trouble in the fourth, as he went to deep counts on several batters and walked two.  He got Buster Posey crossed up behind the plate, forcing an acrobatic save.  Buster had to burn two mound visits in the inning.  Then, Ketel Marte spanked a hard double to the gap to score both runners to make it 2-0 D-Backs.

I got busy with work at that point.  About ten minutes later, I looked in and it was 2-2.  The Giants had started off the bottom with a pair of solo home runs.  The next time I looked, it was 7-2 Giants and the inning was still going.  I sort of gave up on the game at that point, since I’d missed so much.  I was also distracted watching Twitch.  A couple of guys in a chat room for a girl streamer, Amourettie, donated a huge number of subs for her.  She was rendered speechless at one point.  It was compelling to watch.

The Giants won 10-3.  Seagulls were attacking the field in the background during the postgame.  One of the game highlights was the camera catching a kid switching team jerseys and hats trying to get autographs and balls.  I applaud the effort.

6-5-18

I peeked in the Orioles versus the Mets in NYC on MLB.TV’s free game.  There was a gorgeous photographer lady in the camera well when I started watching.  However, the most impressive event I saw was Asdrubal Cabrera making a great play at second to throw out Chris Davis at home on an infield grounder.  The O’s won 2-1.

In Omaha, the Chihuahuas played the Storm Chasers for the second game of the series.  There was a large crowd there with a bunch of Little Leaguers.  The pups sent nine men to the plate in the first and scored four runs.  There was even the classic ball-falling-between- three-fielders hit. 

“Sparkman fires it home.”  Tim was referring to the Chasers’ pitcher, Glenn Sparkman.  He immediately apologized and then added, “I also could have said, ‘Burns fires in the ball from the outfield,’” referring to Billy Burns on their team.  I’m guilty, too.  Whenever Tim mentions Chihuahua Franklin Allday doing something on field, I mentally say, “And all night.”

In spite of the great start, the pups would cool off and the Chasers would tie the score and take the lead in the sixth.  In the seventh, a Brett Nicholas’ flyball would get lost in the lights in the outfield and allow the Chihuahuas to tie it.  But, a Chasers’ home run in the eighth decided it.  6-5 Storm Chasers.

In other baseball news that made the rounds, Tim Lincecum was released by the Texas Rangers.  I don’t think he made it out of Triple-A for them.  Everyone is wondering if some else will give Timmy a chance.        


6-6-18

I have to make a little non-baseball aside here.  I was listening to ESPN Radio briefly this morning waiting for something else to come on.  Stephen A. Smith was going on about Lebron calling Trump a “bum,” and that Trump hasn’t answered back because Lebron is more popular than he is and is probably afraid of him.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!  (Jdh417 has to catch his breath.)  Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! 

I needed a good laugh.  Ah, Google has already screwed with my blog a couple of times for these kind of comments.  The only thing left is for them to do is delete it, at which point I can stop obsessively compulsively doing all this pointless writing.  I should thank them in advance.  

Here was a good matchup on the MLB.TV free game.  It was the Cubs and Phillies at Wrigley with Aaron Nola versus Jose Quintana.  There was a full house there, too.  WGN wasn’t broadcasting the game, but it was Len Kasper and Jim Deshaies on the call like always.  I miss watching Cubs’ games all through the summer.  The camera crew there does a great job of finding cute girls in the crowd and kids having a good time. 

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to sit down and watch until later.  In the meantime, I listened to the Chihuahuas take on the Storm Chasers again.  There were actual storms in the area.  Tim Hagerty was hoping to get the game in before they hit.  In the second, Allen Craig got the scoring started with a home run.  After a triple by Carlos Asuaje in the fourth, Craig sacrificed him in to make it 2-0.  In the bottom though, a Chasers’ two-run homer tied it. 

Tim was getting increasingly nervous about the weather.  He mentioned how many games they’d missed in Omaha this season for snow and rain.  Shane Peterson hit another Chihuahua triple in the sixth, but didn’t score.  In the eighth, Luis Urias would homer to give the pups a 3-2 lead.  In the ninth, radar was definitely showing rain on the way.  Tim wondered if they could finish the game in time.  The Chasers got two on with one out, but a double play ended it.  3-2 Chihuahuas.  I don’t know if it started raining right after or not.

I picked the Cubs/Phillies game up in the sixth with the Cubs up 3-0.  I saw a replay of Anthony Rizzo hitting a moonshot home run to right center.  But right after I started watching, Aaron Altherr, with a sub .200 average, cranked a three-run homer to tie it.  Steve Cishek hadn’t given up a home run all year either.  Work with that, Sabermetricians.  Nola came out after six, and Seranthony Dominguez came in in the eighth. 

Cut to the ninth, Brandon Morrow, who also hadn’t given up a home run all year, gave up a two-run shot to Dylan Cozens.  He also walked Dominguez on seven pitches and Seranthony didn’t swing once.  Phillies up 5-3.  But this was Wrigley.  It’s not over until the fat umpire sings.  Seranthony let on two in the bottom.  A new pitcher came in and walked the bases full. 

A play at the plate on a fielder’s choice got the Phillies to two outs.  But, after a pair misplays earlier in the inning, the catcher didn’t try to turn two on the play, which would have ended the game.  Jason Heyward came up.  The camera started focusing on a lady basically praying for something good to happen.  How about a walk-off grand slam?  7-5 Cubs final.  The crowd went nuts and started singing.  I’m sorry dad wasn’t watching.  He always liked the crowd singing.  The field reporter, Kelly, started to interview Heyward afterward.  He started off with, “Heads up!” to warn her about the Gatorade shower he received a moment later.


6-7-18
 
I tuned in in the middle of the pre-game chat between Tim Hagerty and Steve Kaplowitz.  They were discussing the weather yesterday in Omaha.  Since he's hooked up to electrical equipment during the game, Tim is a bit anxious about storms in the area.  Once, he did get a little shock in his ears from a lightning bolt nearby. 

I was really busy in the evening.  I had the game on and was listening, but wasn't entirely paying attention.  I totally missed the MLB.TV free game.  Tim did mention early that the Storm Chaser relievers were dancing in the bullpen to the walkup music.  I heard Allen Craig get the scoring started in the fourth with a home run.  I missed the play of the game with the Storm Chaser third baseman making a great catch on a foul and then falling into the stands. 

Carlos Asuaje had a rough game defensively with two errors on a routine plays.  Tim wondered if there was something wrong with him.  Starter Walter Lockett was having a great game.  He didn't give up his first hit until the fifth.  At this point, I totally lost concentration on the game.  While I was on my break, I flipped on the Stanley Cup hockey match and also discovered that the US Women's Soccer team was playing.  Everything basically finished at the same time, and I was working. 

The Capitals came back in the third period to win the game and the series and claim their first Cup.  I can't believe all the scoring that went on in this series and how intense it was at times (from what little I saw).  I missed the big story, though.  Some woman went to the glass and flashed her boobs during the victory celebration.  Obviously, she was a DC lobbyist.  Meanwhile, Team USA was playing China in a friendly.  My ultimate sports crush, Alex Morgan, would score the only goal of the game.  USA!  USA!  USA!  That's my girl.

In Omaha, the Chihuahuas were down 4-2 in the ninth.  They loaded the bases with two outs.  The pups scored on a full-count walk, and then took the lead on a Forrestt Allday hit.  In the bottom, Kazuhisa Makita came in to close.  He started out okay, but then gave up three hits, the last of which ended the game at 6-5 Storm ChasersAdalberto Mondesi, Raul Mondesi's son, got the winning hit.


6-8-18

The MLB.TV matchup was a good one between the Brewers and the Phillies.  Well, the matchup was good, not so much the game itself.  The game started with two quick outs, then two walks.  The Philadelphia crowd voiced their appreciation.  Then Ryan Braun hit a three-run homer, at which point the boo birds really came out.  By the second, it was 5-0 Brewers.  By the fifth, it was 11-1 Brewers.  I'd missed much of the game and even forgot to write down the final score.  I think it was 12-4 Brewers.  Braun had two homers. 

In the eighth, a guy in the stands got hit by a shattered bat.  It might have gotten him in the head.  The players on the field were in some shock.  The guy acted like he was okay.  He made sure to get that bat shard.  He seemed pissed that he had to leave for a medical checkup.  He was still holding the bat as he left.  Also of note were the Phillies' announcers.  They were total homers, but they weren't boo'ing the players like real Philly fans.  And, why the hell would you people still be bitter, you got a damn Superbowl!

The Chihuahuas were playing the I-Cubs.  The pups got off to a fast start in the first by loading the bases with nobody out.  They ended up scoring four for the inning.  The I-Cubs scratched their way back in over the game.  In the eighth, they loaded the bases, but the Chihuahuas escaped with the lead, 4-3.  In the ninth with two outs, Diego Goris committed an error to extend the inning, but the Chihuahuas held on for a 4-3 win.  The I-Cubs left 11 runners on base.  They had their chances.


The Diamondbacks were playing the Rockies in Denver tonight, so I turned on the break room TV to catch some of the game.  I love the stadium there and like the Rox.  It was 5-4 D-Backs in the sixth.  Pitcher Zach Greinke singled in a run to make it 6-4.  Apparently earlier in the game, Rockies starter German Marquez also had an RBI hit.  Even pitchers can hit at Coors Field.  I just got in a couple of peeks at the game.  The final was 9-4 D-BacksPaul Goldschmidt hit two home runs.  He seems to have gotten his swing back.

No comments:

Post a Comment