Thursday, July 19, 2018

Artifacts: The Star Wars Storybook

Remember a time long ago and far away when you used to love Star Wars?  It seems like such a long time ago.

(Hey, do you want an extra reason to hate The Last Jedi?  Watch this and get sick.)

I know this is going to perhaps sound absurd, I forgot I had this.  I found this book and another Star Wars book (that I'll post about tomorrow) buried in my bookcase.  When I saw them I suddenly thought, these might be kind of cool to post.  I showed them to a few people at work who proclaimed them "Cool" and "Probably really valuable."  That last comment made for some nervous moments as I carefully opened up these books over the scanner.

I got these books via the Scholastic book service in grade school.  Once a month, the teacher would hand out some thin paper catalogs to everyone with kids books listed on them.  My parents hated whenever I brought home stuff like this that might cost them money.  I don't know how I talked them into getting these.  This one was published in 1978, a year after the movie came out.




I found this Character page a bit intriguing with that black shirt Luke is wearing.  Is there an action figure with him wearing it?


One of the most iconic shots in cinema here folks.

1
The scene with Biggs and with Luke in the floppy hat I found really interesting.  I remember them from the comic book version of the movie.  Yes, I had them.  I wrecked them and then traded them to a friend for some other comics.  If you can believe it, I almost couldn't give them away.  (Okay, I don't want to hear about it.  They were the reprint versions and in very poor condition and, therefore, likely not worth that much.  At least that's what I keep telling myself.)  The comic books were based on the original script, not the actual movie.  These scenes were excised from the final cut.  If you'd like to know more about them and how Star Wars was "saved" in the cutting room, watch this video.  That's not a loose comment either.  Star Wars won an Oscar for editing.  


Ah, the Cantina scene.  There's no illumination about whether Han shot first or not.


  This shot of Millennium Falcon entering the Death Star is even more impressive as a still.


 A couple of great space fighter effects shots.  Luke was part of Gold squadron in the text.  I seem to remember the novel version had that too.  I don't know why it was changed for the movie.


And here's the man in black himself on the back cover.  He used to be so cool.  Sigh.


Something even more Star Wars esoteric tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment