Sunday, September 16, 2018

Springhill Suites Borderland Invite AZ vs UTEP 9-7-18

Invitational Game 2: Arizona Wildcats vs UTEP Miners

I was home for three-and-a-half hours waiting for the next match.  I ate, exercised, showered, and quickly tried to write up the previous match.  That last item didn’t work out well.  I didn’t finish, didn’t write it in order, and, after seeing the next two matches, I changed my mind about what I’d written and had to revise it.  So much for getting ahead on writing.

I went to the bathroom when I got back to the Pan-Am and saw the Arizona coach inside.  If we hadn’t been going in opposite directions, I probably would have talked to him for a minute.  As I found out later, he’s the brother of Aggie Assistant Coach Keith Rubio.  He was there to watch this game along with Coach Wallis.  Some of the Aggie girls sat with them.

Also here, acting as the ballgirls, were members of the Softball team.  Surprisingly, there were some seniors there, Kayla Green (she looks like she’s put on some more muscle) and Victoria Castro.  (If Kelsey Horton had been there, me and some other people probably would have gone down to talk to her.)  There was a new girl with them.  She was cute as heck.  Something else to look forward to for next season.

I got a look at the UTEP team while they were practicing.  I noticed Briana Arellano because she’s one of the few college female athletes I’ve seen with short hair.  As practical as that would seem for an athlete, I think I’ve come to the conclusion most wear it long because it helps with sweat.  In this case, she was wearing a headband instead. 

I recognized one of the other girls and a quick check of the program confirmed it.  Briana Bustillos, who was on the Aggies a couple of years ago, was now the Miners’ libero.  The program listed her as being from the New Mexico Military Institute.  She must want to play volleyball pretty bad to keep moving around.  She’s a very pretty girl who’s always wearing a great smile like Briana Ainsworth.  I remember seeing her with the team at a baseball game in some little cutoffs.  I still haven’t gotten over it.  On court, she was a vocal leader, so I’m glad she found a place to play.      

There was a bigger crowd for this game than in the morning.  UTEP fans had traveled to see their team and the AZ fans were back.  The Miners were clearly pumped for this game.  Arizona was fully warmed up and had been challenged by the morning game. They were likely a bit tired, but that wouldn’t show up until later.  That evened things out a bit, so we could look forward to a better match than this would appear to be on paper.

Set 1
UTEP took an early lead with an overpass kill by Cheyenne Jones and kept it close for most of the set.  I noticed Briana Arellano and Martine Kragholm had really good serves with a hard downward angle.  After hearing some familiar cheering, I noticed Tom across the court.  He was in an Aggie shirt, but was wearing an Arizona hat and cheering loudly for them.  I never imagined he cheered for any other team.  This divided loyalty might cause him some problems on Saturday when the two teams meet.  

The score was tied at 15 before Arizona went on a run.  Just that quick, it was 19-15 and the coach was calling a timeout.  UTEP wasn’t able to recover and AZ took Set 1 25-21.

Set 2: Wildcats 1, Miners 0
UTEP was indefatigable in enthusiasm and came out with another early lead, which forced an AZ timeout.  One of the Miner girls took an extremely deliberate swing in the run and still caught the Wildcats flat-footed.  UTEP expanded on their lead to 11-5.  Adam Young came in for the broadcast tonight.  He made a good catch of a loose ball sitting at the table.  A couple of points later, UTEP even got a kill on a facial.

But Arizona came back and tied it 20.  I noticed Coach Jordan had arrived and was standing up in the shadows at one end of the court watching.  The rest of the Aggie girls were with him.  They needed to get ready for their game, but I think they wanted to keep watching, just to see who was going win.  This was pretty good sports drama.  AZ had a set point at 24-23.  UTEP then had a set point at 25-24.  Arizona then went through three more set points before winning it 28-26.  Briana Bustillos almost dove straight into the scorer’s table trying to save the last point.

Set 3: Wildcats 2, Miners 0
The Aggievision production staff had a meeting at the broadcast table next to the court.  The person I tagged as the director sat with his back turned to the action.  I think that crosses the line between brave and foolish into dangerous indifference.  Surely, he’s watched enough games to know that the ball and the players don’t stay on the court for the whole match.

Once again, this match was tight early on.  Victoria Svornic for Arizona had a heck of serve.  She made a standing serve all the way back at the basketball foul line, but it still had a tremendous angle and heat on it.  UTEP must have been glad to side her out.  Late, UTEP took a three-point lead.  AZ timeout.  Svornic bombed one in serving, but UTEP held and won Set 3 25-20

Set 4: Wildcats 2, Miners 1
Adam walked by between sets.  I thanked him for sending that interview audio the other day and asked him about Briana Bustillos.  He confirmed it was her and he was surprised to see her with UTEP too.  On court, Arizona definitely seemed fatigued by this point.  I doubt they were really expecting this much resistance in today’s games.

UTEP had another early lead.  After a contested call, I think there was a media timeout.  The UTEP players then got mad about a double touch call, but held the lead.  Tempers were flaring a bit.  AZ took their second timeout.  They came back and took a two-point lead.  Timeout UTEP.

Major distraction.  Adam returned to the broadcast table with his color commentator, Kelsi Meredith, a honey blonde former player that totally filled out her slinky dress.  If Adam had been wearing a fedora, I’d say they’d walked off a private eye show.  This is the problem with going to the games: I can’t watch the TV coverage from a seat at the Pan-Am Center.  Wow.  At least I got a good view of her spectacular hair during the next game. 

UTEP tied it up at 18, but AZ got back ahead late.  UTEP took their last timeout.  The Miners closed it up to 24-23 after the Wildcats shanked a couple of hits on match point.  Arizona took their last time out.  They won the set 25-23 and the match 3-1 on a Miner out serve.

I wasn’t really expecting these first two matches to be competitive.  The Wildcats gritted this match out.  Not that they weren’t taking this one seriously to start with, but they were likely tired, certainly by the end.  Volleyball at this level really isn’t meant for two-a-days.  UTEP impressed me with their spirit.  They raised their game for a good opponent.  They’d likely be a fun group to watch if you lived in El Paso.    

No comments:

Post a Comment