Wednesday, February 20, 2019

NM State Aggies vs Texas Southern Tigers Baseball 2-15-19


Opening Day.  How great is this?  No other sport has can generate this level of giddy pleasure for the beginning of its season.  It’s a feeling that anything is possible and something wonderful is about to happen.  And, I was planning on missing it.  I did have the day off, but Ron and I were planning on going to the Aggie Softball.  Since the team is going to be gone for four weeks and the baseball team will be here in that time, it seemed like a better idea.  I was a bit concerned about the weather, but it was warm out with only a slight cold breeze.

When we arrived at the Softball Complex, there were plenty of fans there.  However, the game between two of the visiting teams was still going on and only half done.  We called an audible and went over to see the start of the baseball game.  Over in that parking lot, there were several RV’s parked there.  A bunch of happy fans were gathering at the stadium.  It was looking like a good crowd. 

Inside, I was finally able to get my hands on my favorite Aggie concession food item (which isn’t saying much): corn-in-a-cup.  “I’m sorry we left the cheese at Corbett Center.  Do you still want it?” said the vendor.  Not really.  “Sure,” I said instead.  Why are you advertising this for sale, when you can’t prepare this properly?  Yet another great concession experience.  It did not taste worthwhile.  The lady said she’d give me double cheese next time.

The lovely Aggie Women’s Golf team was handing out hats and other souvenir items.  There was another table where they had some other items to give away, perhaps for the students.  Hey, there’s Pistol Pete and a couple of shivering Cheerleaders.  This was actually just the man I wanted to see.  I’d had an idea the other day about adding a female mascot based on the Aggie the Riveter shirt, so I ran it by him.  Pete and the girl Cheerleaders thought it was a decent notion.  One of the guy Cheerleaders said they’d already tried something like that a couple of years ago, but couldn’t get it off the ground.  Oh, well. 

Regardless, I finally made it to an Aggie Baseball Friday game and on Opening Day no less.  I’d meant to go to one this season at some point.  I could hear Alexia was still dong the PA duties at the stadium.  Adam Young was on the radio.  He sounded happy to be calling baseball again.  A New Mexico Zia flag was flying in the stands.  I found out later it was the flag that they had with them when the team won the WAC Championship last year.  That championship and two others were now displayed on the left field wall, along with NCAA appearances on the right field wall.
   
The crowd was great.  A few dogs came in with them.  There was one cute little service dog that I squealed over.  Former players, current minor leaguers, Jonathan Groff and Kyle Bradish were in attendance.  Along with the pretty golf team, there was at least one other women’s team present.  I couldn’t identify them.  The Soccer team was said to be there, but this wasn’t them.  This unidentified group had one very tall, well-built, and glamorous blonde with them.  She should be on the volleyball or basketball team.  Also of note, was a gentleman wearing a new Chihuahuas hat with the new logo.  (I don’t like it.)  There were also quite a few Texas Southern fans present, but they blended with the crowd, since they were wearing crimson too. 
I feel like I should have this Aggie scorecard laminated.  It actually added up for me.  Today’s Aggie starter was Brock Whittlesey.  He was the reliever who engaged in the heartbreaking heroics of the memorable Saturday game at the WAC Tournament (5-26-18).

Whitt got a couple of quick outs in the first, but ran into trouble with a walk and a hit batter before getting a strikeout.  The highlight of the top of the first was hearing Adam say “Olajide Oloruntimlehin,” the Tigers’ right fielder’s name.  I’m not even sure I’m spelling that right.  The new university president, who threw out the first pitch, came on for an interview in the bottom.  I think he recognizes that NMSU has a Sports department.  It’s a start.  Joey Ortiz had a quiet start to his night with a solo home run.  Nick Gonzales followed with a single.  1-0 Aggies after one.

“Follow the Aggie Baseball team on Tinder.  Swipe right on your favorite player and who knows?”  Oh, wait.  I probably heard that wrong over the PA.  I think she was talking about other social media outlets for following the team.  There was a giveaway of Mountain Dew hats and backpacks to students during the second.  For the second inning, the Aggies turned a double play, and both teams went down in order. 

Nick made a great barehanded shuffle toss to start an inning-ending double play in the third.  Aron Solis for the Tigers got in trouble in the bottom.  He gave up four hits in a row, which scored two runs.  A couple of passed balls didn’t help.  Ryan Diaz in center field did make a tremendous diving effort to stop Logan Bottrell’s double.  3-1 Aggies. 

Next door, the visiting softball game ended.  To this point, the baseball game was clipping along and I was basically enjoying being there with a big crowd.  I was kind of dreading telling Ron that I didn’t want to go to the first Aggie Softball game.  Also, I’d started doing scorecards for this game.  Whitt cruised through the fourth.  Alexia had more trouble pronouncing Olajide Oloruntimlehin’s name.  She had to take a deep breath before saying it.

AD Mario Moccia came on the radio to chat.  Caleb Henderson tripled off the centerfield wall to start the bottom.  Diaz turned around twice trying to get a bead on it.  Mario and Adam chatted about the next batter, Tristen Carranza.  He’s willing to play any position, but says, “I play hitter.”  Marcel Renteria, a pitcher from last year, chimed in via Twitter.  He was listening to the broadcast.  No runs scored, but the Tigers’ coach made a visit to the mound.  I noticed the ump was marking it down.  I think they’re counting mound visits now.

Aggie Softball started their game against Texas State.  Almost immediately, I was regretting talking Ron into staying.  A couple of large cheers went up from the crowd there as a couple of Aggie home runs went out.  Even Adam noted the uproar.  Back to baseball, the Texas Southern coach, who was working third base, got hit by a liner that knocked his helmet off.  The batter couldn’t even look afterward.  The coach was okay.  Whitt got in two-out trouble, giving up four-straight hits.  Two runs scored, the second one came in on a bunt single.  Whitt got a strikeout to end the inning.  He came off the mound pumping his fist.  3-2 Aggies.

Aggie Baseball finally officially started asking for the foul balls back.  I was surprised it took them this long.  It was kind of an apologetic announcement and Alexia muttered it a bit.  She only said it once.  They are offering candy for the balls.  In the bottom of the fifth, Joey singled and Nick drove him in with a home run to deep center.  5-2 Aggies.  To this point, the two were 6 for 6 in hitting.

Whitt’s final inning went 1-2-3.  Joey made a great backhanded catch at deep short and Caleb dug it out for the second out.  Then the Aggies came up with a 14-batter inning.  About here is where the game really started going long.  I don’t want to slight anyone’s accomplishments, but I’m not recapping this half inning.  There was one two-run homer by Braden Williams.  The rest of the eight runs came off of three singles, two doubles, and a bunch of walks and hit batters.  13-2 Aggies and the game had officially become a rout. 

On to the bottom of the seventh, Joey and Nick were now 10 for 10 batting.  Nick drove in Joey with another homer, and Henderson had a two-run homer off the scoreboard in left center.  17-2 Aggies.  Bruno Teramoto came in to pinch hit.  A bunch of girls erupted in the crowd.  I guess he has some fans. 

By the bottom of the eighth, the Tigers were using a position player to pitch.  Joey and Nick’s hitting streaks ended with both of them getting walked and replaced with pinch runners.  The Aggies tacked on three more runs to make it a 20-2 win.  I’m sorry if I’m not doing a really complete recap here.  I’m writing most of this four days later.  I’ve been distracted from finally acquiring a home Internet connection (at least temporarily).  It’s as I’ve always feared, I might never leave home.  I might never leave my seat.  I’ll try to do better next time (if the score is closer).

Let’s look at some player highlights.  Brock Whittlesey went six innings and gave up five hits and two runs, along with five strikeouts and one walk.  Whitt is looking good as a starter.  Offensively, there were some good performances, then there was Joey Ortiz and Nick Gonzales.  Joey was 5 for 5 with 3 RBI’s and a homer.  Nick was 5 for 5 with 6 RBI’s and two home runs. Let’s hope these guys are competing against each other for hitter-of-game honors for the rest of the season.       

It was a great game for Opening Day, except for the part where it ran way too long to be really enjoyable.  At least it ran long for the best reason; the Aggies kicking butt.  Thank goodness the weather was so nice.  By coincidence, Aggie Softball’s first game of the night ended at the same time, so we were going to be able to get a full softball game today too.

No comments:

Post a Comment