Sunday, May 26, 2019

Baseball Journal May 20-22, 2019


Short entry to clear these posts before Memorial Day weekend.

5-20-19
It was 40 degrees and wet and damp in Albuquerque.  “That’s hittin’ weather,” said the Chihuahuas and the Isotopes as they scored a combined 31 runs.  The pups won 21-10 and hit five home runs.  I said I wasn’t planning on doing anymore random baseball coverage, but I’ll make an exception when I hear or see something interesting happen on field.     

5-21-19
As great as the Chihuahuas’ offense was yesterday, they were actually completely upstaged by another PCL team that night, the Reno Aces.  They scored 25 runs.  Yasmany Tomas hit four home runs to go into the record books for that achievement. Matt Szczur hit for the cycle. 

The Padres’ radio broadcast was talking about these two teams playing each other tonight, while their parent clubs are playing each other too (the Padres and the Diamondbacks).  The Chihuahuas did lose to the Aces in El Paso, 10-7.  Tomas homered again and the pups had three.  They are averaging over two homers a game and are on pace to shatter the professional home run record.  Tangential trivia, two of three Aces’ outfielders were former Chihuahuas.

5-22-19
Two quick day games were on this afternoon.  The Aces beat the Chihuahuas at home 9-1.  Aces had four home runs, including one by Yasmany Tomas and one by baseball legend Cody Decker, who was pinch hitting.  The pups’ only run was off a home run.  Co-worker Chuck went to the game.  He’d been looking forward to it, but came back disillusioned.  He did like the hot dog meal he got there.  Dear Aggies Sports, take notes.  Good concessions can smooth over bad losses by your teams.

Meanwhile, and irritatingly at the same time, the Rangers were playing the Mariners.  When they said Joey Gallo and Willie Calhoun weren’t playing today, I went back to the Chihuahuas.  But, when that game quickly turned into a beat down, I tuned back to the much tighter Major League game.  The Rangers won 2-1.  Hunter Pence scored both runs, one by a solo homer and by being driven in by Nomar Mazara for an unearned run.  The Rangers made good use of an opener and the bullpen did well.  It was a quick two-and-a-half hour game.  I’m not anticipating a good season here, so I’ll note these victories when I can.

At work later, MLB.TV had a second free game for the day on.  (I didn’t bother with their afternoon game, since I was already listening to two games on the radio.  Also, I can’t get MLB.TV to work at home worth a crap.)  I watched a bit of the Yankees beating the Orioles.  Then I heard a bit of Flying Squirrels baseball.  Judging from what I’ve been hearing the last couple of years, the Giants farm system is crap.  And, yes, I am bragging about watching and listening to all this baseball.

No comments:

Post a Comment