Saturday, September 14, 2019

NM State Aggies vs Texas State Bobcats Soccer 9-8-19

 Jess McDow and Kyleigh Cox

I have to start with an apology on this one.  This is only half a recap.  It’s not my fault (I say quickly shifting the blame.)  I don’t know why the Aggie Athletics Department scheduled this match an hour before the Aggie Volleyball match against rival UTEP.  It seems to me they could have set the time of the soccer at least an hour earlier to accommodate fans (like me) who wanted to see both.

I also have incomplete recaps of Aggie Soccer’s last two road games.  They lost in Idaho 4-0 to Boise State, whom the Aggies have played here (9-9-18).  At the same site, they then beat Idaho State, 2-1.  So far, the Aggies’ four goals have been scored by four different players.

While I was waiting to leave, NBC finally decided to show a NASCAR race instead of putting it on cable.  Of course, I couldn’t watch more than the opening laps.  Rangers baseball on the radio was canceled for an NFL game.  And, Mexican TV wasn’t showing any MLB this weekend either.  I called Ron and he was unable to come today again.  Oh, well.  Not everything works out. 

I parked by the Pan-Am Center and walked over to the Soccer Complex.  It took six minutes.  I timed it.  It was important to know long it would take me to get back for the volleyball game.  There was a smell of burning plastic when I got there.  I should mention it was over 95 degrees with humidity.  Perhaps my umbrella was melting.  There were clouds in the distance, but that wasn’t going to help for this upcoming hour in the sun. 

I had the umbrella partly in case I got rained on later, like yesterday, but mostly for shade.  I left my seat and cushion at home, figuring an hour on the metal seats wasn’t worth the weight to carry them.  So, it was extra uncomfortable sitting there.  After collecting a program and a cup of courtesy water (thank God), I went to the grandstand.  It was just short of nearly deserted.  Between the heat, the volleyball conflict, and the NFL starting up this weekend, this wasn’t entirely unexpected.  I think it was me, Aggie parents, and several Texas State Bobcat fans.

Actually, there may have been more of them than Aggie fans.  Like their Softball fans (2-16-19), Bobcat fans had a cheer to start the match.  Both teams were in slightly different shades of crimson during warm-ups, but the Aggies changed to their whites for the match.  There were no kids available as ball boys and girls.  Neither were there Aggie Softball players, freshman Aggie Volleyball players, or Aggie Volleyball assistant coaches available.  (Check here to get the joke.)  Some Aggie Sports Marketing interns were drafted.  They were not clearly not thrilled.  They didn’t sign up for this crap on a hot, sweaty day.  A few fans, some with dogs (including a couple of cute wiener dogs), were seated under the trees at the north end of the field.  They, at least, looked cool in the heat.

First (and only) Half (for this recap)
I am too taking this seriously.  I got two-and-half pages of notes here.  I actually thought I’d only be devoting a paragraph to this as part of my volleyball recap.  I overwrote.  Right before the opening kick.  Aggie Hannah Leitner waved from the field to a friend that had just come in.  Hey, they do notice people in the stands. 

The Aggies started off aggressively and got a corner kick at 43’ left in the half.  Unfortunately, there wasn’t a whole lot of Aggie offense after that for a while.  It was quiet enough in the stands (from the lack of fans) to hear Dmitri Fong in the Aggie goal barking orders to the team.  That’s the Dmitri we all love.  (How bad was the crowd?  I don’t even think her mom was there.)  We could also hear Coach Baarts yelling at her and the other players from the other side of the field.  Like I said, quiet.  The parents of the girls did shout out some encouragement, which wasn’t as obnoxious as it has been some years.

42’ here was a wakeup call.  Dmitri kicked out a ball that flew right into the stands about four feet from me.  The ball hit the edge of the benches and bounced right back on field.  That kick had some heat on it.  The Bobcats had a couple of corners at 40’ and 39’, which was keeping Dmitri busy.  What looked like a tweener girl came in with a friend.  She had two huge tats on her arm, nearly a full sleeve.  Does this chick have no parents?  (I thought there was a legal age limit for getting tattoos, or was I misjudging her age?)     

38’ another Bobcat corner, no damage.  36’ a weak attack was broken up at the Aggie net.  Dogs were barking loudly there at the trees.  35’ the Aggies managed to get into the opposing end.  Jess McDow kicked a roller from outside the Texas State box.  32’ Corey Kizer hit the post on a kick.  An immediate follow-up attack was also deflected away.  Right after, Shea O’Connor was body tackled to the ground.  No call.

The action went back to the Aggie end.  28’ Dmitri caught a high bouncer.  Right back to the other end, 27’ Shea received a good pass on a breakaway near the Texas State goal.  It was ruled offsides.  A parent yelled out, “V-A-R.”  I think from watching the Women’s World Cup, that’s the video play review system, which I don’t think would have applied to an offsides call where a goal wasn’t scored. 

Dmitri and Coach Baarts were getting really vocal now.  25’ yet another Bobcat corner.  23’ Dmitri dove to block a wide kick.  A defensive lapse had let an attacker get close.  The coach was screaming.  22’ and another corner.  21’ Emma Smith stripped a Bobcat attacker.  She found Shea near the Bobcat goal, who attempted a header.  20’ hydration break.  I would have got up myself for a refill, but I was too busy melting. 

16’ Jody Hernandez had subbed in and took a long shot that hit the Texas State crossbar.  Right back downfield, 15’ Dmitri caught a long shot from the wing.  14’ a Bobcat attacker was only faced by a lone defender and took a wide shot.  12’ out at midfield, Jody, shortest player on the Aggies, and the shortest player on the Bobcats took each other out at the ankles.  The Bobcat player gave Jody a friendly pat after getting up.

Now the Texas State attacks were getting coordinated.  11’ they had a great centering pass in front of the goal.  The shot just went wide.  On the near side of the field, a magpie (actually I have no idea what kind of bird it was) trotted out on to the field, bobbing its head.  It started feeding on worms until encroaching play chased it off.  The brave bird then hung out around the Texas State goal before flying off. 

8’ Texas State repeated their previous attack with another beautiful pass.  Dmitri stopped a roller in front of the net.  5’ it had to happen eventually.  A wing attack took a high, hard bounce.  Dmitri seemed to briefly have it, but it went through her hands into the goal.  Haley Groff made it 1-0 Texas State.  Their fans did their special cheer, “Eat’um up!  Go Cats go!”  I have to admit, it was well done. 

With under five minutes to go, I checked the time.  I’d decided beforehand that I was going to have to leave with 15 minutes to the top of the hour.  Time was up.  I got a refill on the water and strode quickly out of the stadium.  The guy running the concessions saw me, “Going to the volleyball?”  What a mindreader. 

The first half stats I had were Aggies: 0 goals, 1 corner, 1 shot on goal; Bobcats: 1 goal, 5 corners, 2 shots on goal.  Later during the volleyball game, I asked Danny for an update.  He told me it was 1-1 in overtime.  It went to a second OT without a resolution.  1-1 draw final.  I had to find out later that it was Shea O’Connor who scored for the Aggies, her second goal of the year.  Dmitri Fong had 6 saves for the game.  In the postgame report, the Aggies stopped two point-blank shots in the second OT.  My goodness.  This team may have it together defensively. 

I’m not the person for soccer analysis (or any other sport, but really not soccer).  The Bobcats were 4-0 coming into this game, so I’ll say they’re not a bad team.  (I’m not sure if any of their opponents were good.)  [Edit: the Bobcats are favored to win the Sunbelt Conference.]  I’m going to tentatively call this a “good” tie, like the game against Wyoming.  I think they’re showing progress.  We’ll see how it goes against rivals UTEP and UNM up next on the schedule. 

What’s not progressing is Aggie Sports scheduling.  Soccer already canceled one game last week and had this game cross-scheduled with volleyball.  I found out from Ron over the phone last night that they also just canceled next Sunday’s game.  I don’t think this will be an NCAA issue for the program unless there’s another cancellation, but circumstances beyond their control could cause that to happen (weather, travel, anything).  This doesn’t even include volleyball’s two cross-scheduling issues with football.  It just looks bad.  Okay, hopefully I’ll have a full recap for the next game.

No comments:

Post a Comment