Friday, May 15, 2020

Artifact: The King Tut Exhibit


The King Tutankhamun travelling exhibit came to Las Cruces, New Mexico in late 2006 to early 2007.  I went with my dad and it was definitely the best time had at a museum.  I don't think I'd been to the Branigan Cultural Center since the early 90's.  Before that, I went there all the time when I was a kid in the 70's, but that was when it was the city library.  It was converted to a museum when the new library was built in the late 70's.  This King Tut exhibit had to have been the most popular attraction ever there, as 30,000 visitors came to see it over five months.  The items on display were reproductions, so no elaborate heist schemes were attempted.   


Just a little history here.  Howard Carter's Egyptian expedition was financed by Lord Carnarvon, who would be better known as the dude who died a year after the tomb was opened from the mummies' curse, those inspiring a whole genre of horror films.  Lord Carnarvon's estate, Highclere Castle, actually still has an exhibit in the basement from the expedition.  Of course, you might know Highclere Castle better by its TV role as Downton Abbey.  I used that as a site for a fantasy RPG adventure and also posted pictures from a calendar given to me by a co-worker, who actually went there. 




This was a Las Cruces Sun-News insert about the exhibit.





I have a poster up in my apartment of the image at the top.  It's very cool.  (I would have had to have taken it down to get a picture of it, so I decided against doing that.)  The poster was actually from work.  A co-worker convinced me to take it from the break room a month after the exhibit had closed (bad influence).  I was going to buy one in the gift shop after the tour, but dad refused to go in.  I would have liked an actual program, but all they had available was this kid's guide, which I did pay for.










I used this Senet board in an RPG adventure.

http://jdh417.blogspot.com/2014/06/fantasy-core-rpg-adventure-goth-hallow_20.html


No comments:

Post a Comment