Monday, November 21, 2022

NM State Aggies vs UNM Lobos Women’s Basketball 11-15-22 Part 1

Coach Brooke Atkinson’s main fault as the Aggies’ Women’s Basketball coach was her inability to beat UNM.  Every other failure could be traced back to not being able to beat NMSU’s in-state rival.  Unfortunately, I was there for several of those losses.  In 2017, I saw one the best Women’s Basketball games I’d ever seen, but it was a 101-93 loss.  In 2021, the Aggies led 56-43 in the third quarter and lost 73-66.  It’s been like five years and eight losses in a row. 

 

New coach, Jody Adams, either figured out this mandate for herself or was explicitly told it when she was hired.  In any case, the Aggie coaching staff threw everything at this game and it showed.  She was going to get a first-hand experience in I-25 Rivalry that I doubt she’ll ever forget. 

 

For my part, I was a bit ambivalent about the game.  This wasn’t so much because I’d already been to a Women’s Basketball game (11-9-22), two Volleyball games (11-10-22, 11-12-22) and taken a trip out-of-town to see a bunch of birds on migration for my week off.  No, it was because everything caught up with me on Sunday and I was laid out flat sick with the flu.  I couldn’t eat or drink all day long.  Somewhat miraculously, I was okay by Monday.  I sat up and typed up stuff that day.  I called Ron Tuesday morning.  He hadn’t gotten sick and was still willing to go with me to the game tonight.  I felt fine, but I was still in shock over being sick and then suddenly recovering.       

 

We didn’t have a meal out before the game by mutual agreement.  I still had plenty of leftover Barbeque Chicken Pizza from Saturday.  My appetite was more-or-less back and it tasted great.  There was a bus outside the Pan-Am Center when we got there.  We didn’t know if it was for the Lobos or for their fans.  Their fans travel well.    

 

Ron wanted to be there early for the souvenir hat giveaway.  I do not need one more hat, but I thought this one looked pretty sharp.  I took off the hat I brought and put the new one on.  Ron didn’t put on his.  I don’t know what he’s planning on doing with it.  There were also full Aggie Basketball programs out front along with a signature poster for the Women’s team.  I picked up one of both. 

 

There were already quite a few Lobo fans inside and some Aggie fans.  Our usual spot was filled by the Mayfield High School Trojettes dancing team, so we moved up a couple of rows.  (I could still smell their hair product and perfume.)  The Aggie players were warming up on court.  Barbara Hubbard was also at courtside.  When some of the players were leaving, they gave her a hug on the way out, including Moe Shida.  (I’m starting to wonder if Mother Hubbard actually has an apartment somewhere in the building and lives there.)

 

Some other high school groups came in and sat on the other side of the stands.  The Sundancers came out.  They were wearing different uniforms that were a lot skimpier than their normal ones.  The Lobos came out of the tunnel clapping and in formation to warmup.  Their fans also gave them a round of applause.  Some of their coaching assistants, or injured players, posed on court for a picture from someone in the stands.  Gasp!  One of our Cheerleaders went over to the Lobo section and hugged some of their fans there!  How dare she!  Even if she was possibly related to them.  You’re in uniform!  No fraternizing!      

 

The Aggies stayed in the locker room, while the Lobos returned to the court to warmup more.  As soon as they left, the Roadrunner Revue band started the Anthem.  I guess this is what we’re going to do from now on.  The Aggies came out right after.  The crowd filled in as the game started.  Attendance was an excellent 1,218.  I’d say about a quarter were Lobo fans. 

 

Marketing Director Nicole Sack was dancing in the tunnel before player introductions.  Everyone was a little giddy.  It was hard to know what to expect with the new coach for this old rivalry.  I thought I saw the Soccer team up in the rafters.  That would turn out to be correct.  PA Ed Carnathan sounded a little off, like he had a cold or some congestion, but there was no way he was missing this game if he could do it.  When the Aggies were introduced, they took something of a cue from Volleyball team and the starters tossed rolled up t-shirts into the crowd. 



First Quarter

I took detailed notes for the game, which turned out to be mostly illegible and all-over-the-place.  The end of the game became possession-by-possession.  I’ll try to condense this (and fail).  I also kept score on the program, which was pointless.  The video board gives quick player stats and I can get the full stats off the Aggie website.  It’s force of habit.

 

Ashlee Strawbridge started the scoring with a 3 for the Aggies.  Fama Thiam put in another.  Meanwhile, the Lobos were putting up shots, but not connecting.  I counted six misses before they finally got a basket.  At 10-2 Aggies with four minutes left, Coach Adams changed out units and brought in five fresh players.  She’d also been constantly telling her team to slow down on offense from the sidelines. 

 

During the timeout (which really ran long during this game), the Trojettes got up and left to get ready for their performance.  The Soccer team was introduced and came down to the court.  They tossed championship shirts into the crowd (like the one Coach Adams was wearing last week).  MVP Makenna Gottschalk was all smiles and into it.  Ed said the shirts were available at the kiosk.  I hadn’t noticed them earlier.  I’d thought to try to go there and get one at halftime, but I was too hemmed in by the crowd around us to leave.  (Good thing I didn’t need to go to the bathroom.)   

 

Right out of the break, Moe Shida found Sylena Peterson under the basket for a layup.  Meanwhile, the Lobos were having even more problems than just missing shots.  I started listing them: passed to a ref, two air balls, stepped out of bounds, travelling (it wasn’t even called one time). 

 

A large group of high school girls moved in right below us.  They turned out to the Mayfield Cheerleaders.  Across the court, there was a group of girls from rival Las Cruces High.  More on that later.  On court, Ashlee took a slap going up for a rebound, but didn’t convert on either free throw.  Molly Kaiser took over at the end.  She hit a jumper, made a steal, and hit a last-second jumper.  It was 20-2 all Aggies after 10 minutes.  There’s only one relevant stat for the quarter: Lobos went 1 for 14 shooting.  It was a very quick quarter.  Coach Bradbury for UNM never called a timeout and seemed unperturbed. 

 

Second Quarter

AD Mario Moccia was working the crowd at courtside.  He was all-smiles.  More girls teams came in.  More girls came in to sit in our section.  Two of their chaperones (?) were a couple of young cowboys wearing spectacular hats with feathers in the brim.  Up on the scoreboard, I noticed Taylor Donaldson already had 4 rebounds and Ashlee had 3.

 

For the Lobos’ first possession, they took 3 shots, got 2 rebounds, and picked up a foul, no points.  Fama found Soufia under the basket for a layup to make it 22-2.  The Lobos answered with a layup to finally score their second basket.  The Aggies then had a turnover on a bad pass, but the Lobos had a shot clock violation on their end.  Shaiquel McGruder on UNM got on a block on Ashlee.  Soufia picked up her second foul as she accidently hit Nia Johnson in the mouth. 

 

Shaiquel got another block, as she swatted a shot by Molly on a fast break.  And, she got another block on Ashlee.  The Lobos’ made a 3 with about 5 minutes left in the quarter.  Coach Adams sent the second team in again.  Moe got called for a block, while the crowd wanted a charge on the play.  This took us to a media timeout and a t-shirt toss.  No team timeouts yet.

 

Moe came back with a jumper.  The Lobos made a layup and Sylena was called for a block.  Next time down, the Lobos took 3 shots, had 2 rebounds, and got no points.  (Didn’t I just write that?)  Taylor was called for a block.  Ashlee made a jumper, but the Lobos answered with a 3.  26-13 Aggies, 1:50 left in the half. 

 

Ashlee made another jumper.  The Aggies started normal subbing, one at a time.  The Lobos had a turnover off a pass.  The Aggies took a timeout.  Taylor came out with a jumper.  Molly had a layup on a great assist by Fama.  Fama also blocked out the Lobo’s last-second shot.  The half ended 32-13.  I was feeling reasonably good, but I’d seen the Lobos’ come back big before.

 

Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment