Friday, November 24, 2023

Comics Review: Archie Milestones #22 Jughead Christmas Special


Okay, this is a really good Archie digest.  As Archie is “The Official Comic Book of Christmas,” you’d expect a Christmas issue to be entertaining, but starring Jughead, you’ve got gold.  Heck, I marked half the book for comment.  However, I have to question how many more of these Archie Christmas digests I’m going to be getting.  I’d already read a couple of stories in here.  There’s only so much classic material.

 

(Though this didn’t stop me from ordering more Archie Christmas books online yesterday.  So much for not buying more.  I never usually order stuff online, but I really kind of wanted the new Archie Christmas floppy comic.  They’re not going to come until next month, so I don’t know when I’ll be covering them.)

 

It’s going to be prohibitive to cover everything good in this book.  I’m going to just hit a few highlights.  Great Archie artist, Rex Lindsey, stories start and end the book.  There’s four stories featuring Hot Dog.  There’s a couple of trips to the North Pole.  There is romance and even something of an explanation why Jughead avoids girls.  (It’s not good sense.  It’s something else.)    

 



I think this was my favorite of the stories I hadn’t read before.  It features Fernando Ruiz’s very appealing artwork.  Whenever you see Jughead dressed up, it’s fun.

 




Jughead’s dog, Hot Dog, has a couple of heartwarming moments.


Jughead makes a disastrous trip to the North Pole.

 



His sister, Jellybean, makes a better impression on St. Nick.




What would Archie be without some physical comedy? 



I love this panel by Pat Kennedy.



There’s a story where a female elf wrecks Santa’s operation.  All of the boys want video games, but she decides that they won’t pay attention to their girlfriends if they get them.  Here’s her solution. 

 






A lot of these Christmas themes seem to be arriving in two’s.  There’s a couple of stories about the dangers of mistletoe.  In both of these stories, somehow Jughead is suddenly irresistible.     

 


Okay, I’ll get to discussing the mystery of Jughead.  It was carefully set up in a previous story with an innocuous remark by Veronica. 

 



And here we have the reveal.  “I can’t kiss you because I’ll poke your eye out, kid.”  Who knew?  That is just so Christmas.  I think we’ve all learned something here. 

 

Seriously though, it’s hard to critically review a comic book that I really enjoyed.  It’s much easier to rip on bad material.  Of course there are some clunkers, but overall, it’s a lot of Christmas-y fun.  I hope the other stuff I ordered is this good.

No comments:

Post a Comment