Friday, April 19, 2024

Comics Review: JSA, WITCH, Archie, and Amber

Continued from Part 1.

 


JSA #2

Certainly this was the most traditional of the comics I picked up.  The Justice Society of America splits up to find a special baby somewhere in the world.  There’s some personality shown in the characters, but it’s mostly a very functional story.    



I will say this issue has a heck of a final page reveal, especially since Mordru is a Legion of Superheroes villain from the 30-th Century.  I suspect next issue would be more interesting than this one.  


Archie and Sabrina #4

Another decompressed book.  Very decompressed.  Basically nothing happens in this.  There’s some kind of mystery going on.  Issue #5 is the last issue of the series, so I hope they tie everything up quickly.  I’d sort of like to see the beginning of this story just to see how Archie and Sabrina got together.  Harvey must be furious.  Of course Archie has just about dated everyone, except for Josie (who might be his cousin) and Melody (I have no explanation for this oversight).    



This was very much a girl’s comic.  The female characters were pretty, but he male characters were beautiful, even Jughead.  Weird, but good for him.  I can see why Big Ethyl is trying to get with this guy.      


W.I.T.C.H. Halloween Preview

Okay, okay, I know this looks bad for me.  This comic isn’t just for girls.  It’s downright girly.  Then again, there’s some casual nudity, but its under-aged.  Wow, suddenly I’m not feeling good about having this in my possession.  This is a Disney property.  I shouldn't have been surprised by some grooming.  


This was an impressive giveaway from Zia Comics in 2017 for Halloween.  It is 48 pages on thick bright white paper with a glossy cover.  It’s in black and white, but with lots of shading and wash tones. 

 

The story is completely derivative of any other magical girl story.  If you like the genre, this will be extremely familiar material.  It’s more of a Disney marketing effort than a story and a low-effort one at that.  I wasn’t expecting much, but I think I can use this for my drawing practice.  There’s a lot of interesting facial expressions in the Disney/anime style to learn from.

 




Amber Blake #1, #2, #4

These three I picked up at Zia Comics, while the other comics were used from Coas.  Zia Comics doesn’t have a Dollar Box (which is a mistake), but I found these in a box and they were at cover price and not marked up.  They are magazine-sized and surprisingly full-color inside.

 

I was hoping for a female spy story like Nikita, Modesty Blaise, or Alias from what was on the cover.  I was also looking forward to Butch Guice’s fine detailed line work.  So, this is what you get from this, but at the absolute minimum in story.  There is some complexity to it, but the backstory and set up feel like wasted pages.  This would have been better as a known work in the genre, so that the setting and character could have been described in a couple of text boxes and then it could gone on with the story immediately.  There’s not enough originality in the setting or characters to make it more interesting than the other works that inspired it.

 

Basically, this is a revenge story.  Amber is an orphan raised in a special institute.  She finds out her friends are being abused by the headmaster.  Amber is forced to escape after trying to expose it.  She ends up getting recruited by a mysterious organization that goes after powerful, corrupt people.  Issue #4 seems to resolve the story and the character. 





In any case, there is some really great artwork. 

 

Sorry if this wasn’t much of a review of these comics, but after reading them, I had very little enthusiasm for doing it at all.  Overall, this load of comics was big strikeout.  I need to just buy stuff I’m sure I’ll like or stop buying comics. 

No comments:

Post a Comment