Friday, October 4, 2024

MLB Pre-Postseason Picks

That is a lie.  The postseason has started before I’ve posted this, but I did write most of this before it started.  (Though the first day of the playoffs was over before I finished this.)  This is just a little note for the end of the season, not any sort of detailed analysis (like I ever do that anyway).

 

In the AL, I picked the O’s with the Yankees as wildcard in the East.  Lindy’s correctly had the Yankees winning.  I didn’t pick anyone in the AL Central and they got three teams in.  Lindy’s picked the Tigers, but it was the Indians winning it.  I did pick the Astros to win the West, reluctantly, which they did.  Lindy’s had the Mariners, who might not have any fans left in Seattle.  They had a big lead in their division and lost it quicker than any team before them.  Take a bow. 

 

In the NL, the Phillies seemed to be the obvious choice (which was correct), but I had the Braves winning the East (and the Phillies winning the World Series).  Lindy’s and I both picked the Reds in the Central.  Who saw the Brewers winning it?  Of course, the Dodgers won the West, which we all saw coming.  They might rename the division after them. 

 

For the AL Wildcards, I was genuinely happy that the Tigers got in.  This team was a seller at the trade deadline with a losing record and only just held on to probable Cy Young winner, Tarik Skubal, to keep their fans from rioting.  Likewise, the Royals’ skipping in was awesome.  Good for them!  (I wonder if this is enough to give them another chance at a new stadium bond.)  The O’s have fallen off a bit as the season has gone on, but let’s see if they learned something from last year.  I had them making it to the World Series.  I’ll stay with that. 

 

For the NL Wildcards, the Padres punched their ticket definitively.  Yes!  This could be the year for them.  Oh, the poor Diamondbacks.  They had to wait until the Braves and the Mets finished a double header on Monday (that had been canceled earlier by a hurricane) to find out that they’d been eliminated.  The first game between the Mets and Braves was apparently a classic.  Unfortunately, I had no way of watching or listening to it.                

 

I’d say I’d like to see anybody in the World Series, except the Yankees, Dodgers, Cleveland (change your damn name back and I’ll root for you), or Astros.  But I can’t.  I’ll admit it.  I’d kind of like to see Aaron Judge versus Shohei Ohtani, though it’d be even better if Shohei was pitching right now.  Maybe next year, but don’t count on the Yankees being good next year, whether they retain Juan Soto or not. 

 

It’s hard to pick a favorite match up for me, because several of these teams I personally like.  The Tigers are an old favorite team of mine.  I’ve been rooting for the Padres and Orioles for the last couple of years.  The Brewers and Royals were so unlikely to get this far, they’d be a great feel-good story.  I did pick the Phillies to win it all, so I’m sticking with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment