Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Aggie Volleyball Crimson and White Scrimmage 8-15-26

 

                  Great picture of Maggie Lightheart and Tess Fuqua.    Classy.   


Last year (8-16-25), I’d had some trepidation about Aggie Volleyball at the Crimson and White Scrimmage.    After everything that happened after that, I’m currently downright discouraged.    In fact, going to this free game was the only event I had on my docket.    The Aggie games after this, I am not committed to.    I’ve already missed two Aggie Soccer games.    (They only have one souvenir giveaway listed for the season.)    The only thing that might get me to change my mind is the girl I met this year, Zanaya.    We’ll try to take her to a couple of games and see if she enjoys it.    Regrettably, she’s at work today for this game.


The Las Cruces Bulletin newspaper had a special section on Aggie Sports a couple of weeks ago.    There was a profile on Marlee Cavitt.    She’s not only the speediest player on the soccer team, she’s also on the track team.    Very impressive.    (She also takes a knee during the Anthem.)    The article on the new Aggie Women’s Basketball Coach focused on how well read he is and political people who inspire him.    AD Fields at least added that the university was going getting a bunch of money in for facility improvements, such as a new press box at the football stadium.    There was a profile on Women’s Basketball Hall of Famer, Anita Maxwell (Skipper).    She was the first NCAA basketball player (man or woman) with 2,500 points, 1,000 rebounds, and 300 steals. 


Before I’d even gone to an Aggie game this season, I got some bad news.    Broadcaster Adam Young had left to call Georgia Southern Football.    I’d just listened to a new interview he’d done with the soccer coach, so I was shocked that he’d left in June.    Frankly, that he made a lateral move to another minor school is really depressing as well.    Does this mean Adam thinks NMSU is about to go down the drain?    Good luck anyway, Adam.    We’ll miss you.

The next day after learning this, I met Mando from Aggievision and his hot girlfriend when they were visiting his mom at work.    (She has trouble believing he has a hot girlfriend, too.)    The GF knew all about Aggie sports.    Adam’s wife is apparently from the Georgia Southern area.    (That still doesn’t take the sting out.)   


She also informed me that former Softball Coach Rodolph was now under investigation for sexual misconduct allegations.    I thought it was just her assistant coach that had been accused of that, since Coach Rodolph left the program amicably.    The story was reported locally and is already in the national sports media.    It sounds bad and took place over several years.   


Mando added that he couldn’t believe the Baseball Coach Angier still had his job.    I agreed, especially after that final game of the season (5-16-26).  He told me that even the FIU players, who won the 30-21 game, wanted it over by the end.   


Somewhat depressed about going alone, I took off for the Pan-Am Center on Saturday.    After picking up a bunch of posters in the ticket office, I asked if they were only doing virtual tickets.    They said they were still offering paper ones, so I think we’re okay for the season.    The merchandise kiosk was closed, annoyingly.    I was going to get Zanaya something.    I looked around inside and didn’t see the Reese family there.    I’d written Trey earlier in the week if they were coming.    He answered my e-mail, but not my question.    I suppose that was silly of me to ask given Nellie’s strained relationship with the team (5-16-26).


Lots of familiar faces out on the floor.    I have to start with our new assistant coach, Rilen Garcia.    She was looked stylish and professional out on court.    We’re so proud of you, Rilen.    We remember you being tossed out on court as a freshman way before you were ready (9-29-22).   


Just to mention a few of the returners, Ashley Herman was back and hopefully healthy.    She could have retired after last season’s injury, but she really wanted to play some more.    Maggie Lightheart will be here for her senior campaign, along with Tess Fuqua as a red shirt junior.    I’m honestly surprised Jaelynn Kohli is still here.    It seems like she could be playing for a bigger school.    I don’t know how she got overlooked to begin with and maybe last year’s injuries scared other universities off.   


What a change in setters.    Last season there were five and they all alternated between being injured or in Coach Jordan’s doghouse.    This time there’s only three: freshman Paige Nelson, red-shirt sophomore Katrina Catalan, and sophomore Mia Mendoza.    Mia is the only returner, but I don’t think she played last year, so she’s like a new arrival.    Paige is 6’.    I wonder if the Coach wants to try a different rotation pattern with her.    It seemed like he was using a 5-1 during today’s match, instead of a 6-2.    The inexperience here is a bit of a red flag for the season.   


I immediately noticed 6’2” and well-built newcomer, Emma Clawson.    Unfortunately on the roster, she’s a freshman and not a transfer.    I think there was only one injured player to start the season, freshman Lilianna Saldivar.    That is too bad.    She’s 6’3” and also well-built.    Lilianna was introduced to the crowd, but was riding the scoring clipboard for the game.    I did see Jae consoling her later.    At least she has some good teammates.           


Pistol Pete and the Cheerleaders were here.    It was the Pete I hadn’t seen that Oklahoma Softball game (2-13-26).    I guess he’s out of therapy.    Aggie Sports put out a cool video of the various teams wearing their new Adidas uniforms.    We have an advantage over other universities in that we can use White Sands National Monument for a dramatic backdrop.    We also had a decent crowd present for a scrimmage.                         


Set 1

Initially, we had Tess, Maggie, Mia Fox, Jaelynn, Ashley, and Paige on the Crimson team, and Zoe Ziegler, Emma, Jacqueline Corcoran, Sadie Ross, Mia M, Kate Sinclair, and Katie Funk on the White team.    Crimson seemed to be the starters for the upcoming season.     


Tess got the opening kill.    Emma answered with a kill.    Both sides had a mis-set early here, but that may have just been some opening night jitters.    The rest of the match seemed okay setting-wise.    Katie and Emma teamed up for a block on Maggie, but Maggie came right back on the next point with a tip right over them.    That’s experience.    Libero Makaya Martinez aced to tie it at 3.    PA Ed announced it as an ace for “Mighty Mouse!”    Makaya went on a run and got another ace.    Jae got her first kill and Ashley and Maggie teamed up for a block on Emma.    Makaya finally served out at 8-4 Crimson.


I noticed Jac seemed to be the on-court leader for the White team.    I’m not sure who I’d characterize as a leader on the Crimson team.    On the next point, Jac and Mia M both went into the sideline table going after a ball.    Can’t fault the effort.    There was a review of the next play, the only one of the game.    The Macarena was played in the delay.    Pete and the Cheerleaders were doing it along with Katrina.   


Maggie served up an ace at 12-5 Crimson, though she netted the next serve.    So far, there had been 2 aces off of Sadie the freshman.    Going up to the mid-set break, Jae and Jac had kills, along with Tess hitting two more.    I noticed they were showing cool new player videos to spotlight good plays.    Mia F blocked out Jac for 16-7 Crimson lead.    Paige served up an ace off the tape.   


Jac slammed the hardest kill of the match with a rebound that went up into the stands at 17-8 Crimson.    Two points later, Maggie painted the backline for a kill and then stuffed an overpass on Emma.    21-8 Crimson, Mia F blocked Emma.    I hope the freshman is taking notes.    Next, Maggie found a seam between the defenders for another kill.    Maggie then had an intimidation block on Jac.    Finally, Bella Castro was in to serve and aced for a 25-8 Crimson wipeout.

             

Set 2: Crimson 1, White 0

In the break, Flex Cam was activated.    Emma Christiano from Women's Basketball was here showing off her guns.    They were impressive for such a petite girl.    Jac went to the Crimson.    Tess, Ashley, and Mia F went to the White with Bella in as libero.    Ash and Tess were doing some motivational speaking in the huddle.   


Having Bella on the White team paid off on the first serve, as she ducked under it for an outserve.    Ash and Mia F teamed up for a block.    New freshman Ava Archibald was in and got her first kill for the White.    Tess dialed up a pair of aces.    It was 5-0 White and timeout Crimson.    Katie broke the run out of the break, but White kept taking points.    8-1 White was a long rally that Ashley finished.   


Crimson came back with a kill by Sadie and an ace by Jac off Tess.    Zoe had a kill for White, but the Crimson scoring continued with Jae tooling a block and Maggie making a block and getting a kill.    Zoe got another kill at 12-8 White, but Kate blocked Tess on the next point.    Tess got the next opportunity and pounded a kill.    Jae got a kill and brought the score to within 1.    White called a timeout.


Crimson tied it at 13 on a block that went wide and took the lead on a block by Katie.    The next point was the scariest of the match.    Jac got a Crimson kill, but Maggie took a spill on the point.    She popped back up.    Maggie has lead a charmed life as far as injuries go.    In the mid-set break, Ash, Ava, and Zoe were dancing.    Mia F got it back to 1 with a kill for White and Ashley tooled a block, but Crimson made the turn at 20-17 with a kill by Sadie.   


Jae added to the lead with a kill.    22-17 Crimson, Maggie made a tip kill.    The Crimson did a good job of sniffing out a setter dump on that point.    Maggie had another kill and blocked Kate twice to take the set for Crimson, 25-17.


Crimson 2, White 0

The White team huddled up and danced.    The teams weren't changing ends, so I didn’t see much of the Crimson team's antics.    Ashley and Tess went back to the Crimson team.    Katrina would be setting for them.    Jac went back to the White team.


This one was tight.    Jae and Jac each traded a pair of kills to begin.    Ava tooled a block, Ash answered with a kill.    Mia F and Sadie traded kills with Jac tying it up at 7.    Mia F had another kill, as Jae tooled a block and got a touch kill.    Maggie got a kill to make it, 11-9 Crimson.    Timeout White.    They were holding their own, even without most of the Aggies' star players.


Jae had another kill, but Zoe tied it at 13.    We were tied at 14 after Mia M made a great save on a block and then finished it with a setter dump for White.    In a timeout, Pete got the crowd doing the wave.    He spun around and ended up getting dizzy.    Ava also did a cartwheel.    If the volleyball thing doesn't work out, she might have been auditioning for the Cheer squad.


Mia made a great set to Jac for a kill to tie it at 15.    The other setter, Kat, made a tip/dump to put the Crimson up 16-15.    Kate and Emma traded kills.    19-18 was another long point that went for the Crimson.    Kate finished it with a tip kill.    On the point, Jac got a dig off a hard shot to the chest from a swing by Maggie.   


A block by Katie and a kill by Zoe got the White to the turn first.    A block by Zoe gave White a 22-19 lead.    A kill by Sadie and an ace by Maggie tied it at 22.    PA Ed called her, “The ace of Hearts.”    Tess gave the Crimson the lead and White took a timeout.    Ava tied it at 23 with a kill.    Kills by Tess and Kate and a finishing ace by Paige gave the Crimson the extra points set win, 26-24.


Set 4: Crimson 3, White 0

PA Ed made sure to tell everyone there would be a fourth set at the end of the third set and that it would be first to 15.    I noticed Jack Nixon was over by the scorer's table.    Glad to see the broadcasting legend taking in a game.    Sadie and Kat went over to the White, while Mia M went to the Crimson.

           

Maggie began the set with a kill.    Katie and Kate had opposing kills.    On Kate's kill for the Crimson, two White players collided into each other and another player went into the sideline table.    Nobody hurt; play on.    Jae and Jac traded kills, but Crimson was pulling ahead, 7-3.   


Sadie out-jousted Tess at the net for a point for White.    Jae had another kill.    9-4 Crimson, Maggie got a tip kill.    White saved two tips on that point.    Jae knocked down Kat with a kill next.    Sadie and Jac had kills, but a block by Kate made it, 11-6 Crimson.        Kate went back to the reserves and Coach Jordan high-fived her for that play.    Maggie blew one right through Emma, 12-7.    Jac got one more kill, but Ash burying one and Mia F making a block got it to match point.    Jac put a serve in the net to end it, 15-9 and 4-0 Crimson.


There aren’t any official stats for the game.    (I suppose if I chatted up Lilliana, maybe she’d tell me.)    My own count is highly suspect, but here we go.    I had Jaelynn Kohli with 14 kills to lead everyone.    Maggie Lightheart had 11 kills, 3 blocks, and 2 aces.    Jacqueline Corcoran had 7 kills and 2 aces.    Tess Fuqua had 6 kills and 2 aces.    (Her and Maggie are still having serve receive issues.)    New freshman Sadie Ross had 6 kills.    Mia Fox had 3 kills and 4 blocks in the middle.    Take all of these numbers with a grain of salt.


My non-professional evaluation of the team is that it is essentially last year’s team with new setters.    The returning players are, I think, better with more experience, especially Maggie Lightheart.    If Jaelynn Kohli stays healthy, she’s going to be a monster on the court.    Of the new additions, Sadie Ross distinguished herself, though the team already has plenty of hitters.    It’s hard to judge the setting situation without being able to watch Coach Jordan’s reactions to it.    What I saw seemed to be working.   


However, if this is basically the same team, it is the same team that had a sub-.500 record last season.    I could say they’ll probably do better only because UTEP is no longer in the conference.    It’s an overall pretty good-looking team, at least.    The Baseball and Football guys will have plenty to fight over.


After the match, I finally went to Smokey’s Barbeque.    I’d meant to do this since June.    I’d tried doing this a couple of weeks ago (8-2-26), but ended up sweaty and eating at McAlister’s.    For all that anticipation, it was just okay.    I ended up getting a chocolate-covered paleta bar afterward, because I felt I needed some ice cream to settle the meal.    Smokey’s offers a barbeque pizza.    I might try that in the future.   


Honestly, I enjoyed the game, but felt miserable there by myself, especially when I ‘d hoped to have someone with me.    I kind of like to go next weekend, even though it’s a lower-level opponent, because they’re offering autographs.    We’ll see if I can get anyone to go with me.     

No comments:

Post a Comment