Thursday, September 3, 2015

Sports Journal 9-3-15 Deflated

I’ve probably already made enough snide, off-hand comments about the NFL to make any commentary on “Deflate-Gate” questionable on my part.  Further, my obvious allegiance is to BASEBALL!  But, how can I pass up an opportunity to do some actual timely topical blogging for a change?

First, I think the whole league is fixed.  I don’t mean deflated footballs.  How can you seriously watch a season’s worth of football and not question calls on the field and subsequent reviews on a weekly basis?  You can think of your own examples, probably very easily.  The only reason for official reviews is because the referees on the field kept botching the fixes.  The “replacement” refs weren’t any worse than regular ones, except they were unacceptably screwing up the fixes.  Here is why the league is mad at the Patriots: they keep trying to fix the games to their advantage!  That is the exclusive, not-to-be-messed-with domain of the NFL.  They determine the winners and losers, not the damn teams!  No team scores unless the third team on the field (the refs) allows it.

Okay, I’ve got no proof behind my allegations (or than watching what goes on in the actual games).  You can legitimately dismiss what I’ve said.  Maybe it’s not the NFE (National Football Entertainment).  If this is the case, then you then have to accept that the rules of the game are impossible to play by.  The players routinely break them.  The referees arbitrarily enforce them.  There are fouls on virtually every play of the game if they were observed and called by the book.  Seeing all the infractions is impossible and then calling them all would not produce anything close to entertainment.  

Second, this whole “controversy” was just a publicity campaign to keep the NFL in the national consciousness during the off-season.  That’s all it was.  It was there to keep people talking after the Superbowl.  It was re-ignited, conveniently, right after the NBA finals.  This has been manufactured by the media.  It’s all been a bunch of panty-wadding crap to give pundits (I guess including myself) something to pontificate on. 

I’m not a Patriots fan.  I think Tom Brady is a great player, but he’s not my favorite and I don’t root for him, unless his team is playing somebody I really hate.  That said, I’m glad that he’ll be playing.  Since I think it’s all illegitimate anyway, may as well put the most entertaining players out on the field.  I am a Cowboys fan (low-key, I admit).  This decision may harm my team since I think they’re playing each other this season.  (No, I don’t know their schedule.  I don’t memorize baseball schedules beyond the current week either.)  Well, if the Cowboys beat the Patriots with Brady, then it’s a greater victory than without him playing.

Meanwhile, Goodell is apparently going to appeal this.  Not for the league, not for the fix, but for his job.  This whole thing has been a massive screw-up on his part, since this deflation issue actually came up before the game in question was played.  He has embarrassed the Shield with this loss in the court.  If he doesn’t win at some point in this saga, Goodell is out the door.  The commissioner is just a mouthpiece/figurehead anyway.  But, the games will be being played at that point.  This story has already served its purpose of publicity and will be over-staying its welcome after the season starts.  Brady being suddenly suspended in-season is just going to anger the fans, rather than placate them, thus making Goodell an even more hated tool. 

Hopefully, these will be my only comments on this, hoping that this affair now goes away.   

No comments:

Post a Comment