Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Artifacts: Confederate Air Force and Lego Star Wars Poster

This is sort of a Veteran's Day post.  Actually, it's some random items that I meant to scan, but couldn't figure out how to post them.


I got a charity mailing from the Confederate Air Force recently.  (I did a post somewhere about all of the charity mail I get.  You wouldn't believe it.)  Now they're called the Commemorative Air Force, because war must be a politically correct exercise of force.  In any case, I did see these guys in person (unless this is actually different group).  For like a $20 fee, I got to go inside the B-17.  It was a cramped tin can.  When you see the size of the bullets in the defensive machine guns and look at the skin of the plane with the thickness of the soda can, you had a new appreciation for the flight crews, since the planes trying to shoot them down had the same caliber guns.  Honestly, the short, self-guided tour really brought the war home.  It was worth it.  

I don't remember if the B-29 was there or not.  It would have been interesting to see it, since it had a pressurized cabin.  Then again, you wouldn't have had the cool leather jackets that the B-17 guys had to wear to keep out the cold.   
       




On to the random.  I was at Barnes & Noble a few months ago and saw this stack of Lego Star Wars posters at the counter when I was making a purchase.  The clerk immediately offered me one as I was looking over her shoulder at them.  She didn't explain why they were there.  I have no idea.  The poster itself was two-sided and printed on very thick paper.  It was a very nice giveaway.  Unfortunately by the time I got it home, I remembered I wasn't ten years old.  I did used to have a couple of sets, including that Snowspeeder.  I offered the poster up to a Star Wars fan at work, who took it gladly.      

 


No comments:

Post a Comment