Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Summer Sports Report 2020 Part 2

Continued from Part 1

MLB
I had a truly nuclear take ready to go if the players and owners hadn’t come to an agreement to play this year.  I’ll save it for next year when the players go on strike, since this “agreement” was pretty much the owners dictating their will.  Even with the proposed shortened season, I doubted it would really happen until I got to watch a couple training games from the Rangers’ new stadium, Globe Life Park.  (Oh, and the Rangers are being pressured to change their name too now like the Redskins.  It’s racist.) 

The new park was absolutely stunning.  The suites behind home plate will make the stadium instantly recognizable.  There’s a row of wooden rocking chairs in one section.  There are giant bobble heads of the Ranger legends in the concourse.  I was momentarily excited for the start of the season.

Then it all came crashing down.  MLB and the players announced right before first game that they were going to turn the whole thing into social justice propaganda.  They did this appease ESPN.  Dodger Mookie Betts signed a 12-year, $365M contract soon afterward.  I was listening to ESPN Radio the day of the opening games.  They brought on an expert to discuss the contract.  They spent most of the interview doing funny voices and goofing off.  They were in agreement that the contract was a travesty and that Mookie is being criminally underpaid.  At least ESPN was talking baseball, but unfortunately they were talking about it the same way they always do, badly.


The opening games were all ESPN could hope for.  BLM is now the MLB logo on the field.  Players were trying to one-up each other in the knee-taking ceremony, formerly known as the Anthem.  There was Mookie taking a knee to protest his contract.  The Yankees and Dodgers both won their games on their way to undefeated 60-0 regular seasons (only to be beaten in the first round of the playoffs).  The potentially biggest story of the night was Nationals’ star, Juan Soto, testing positive right before the game.  This could have been a disaster, like Ranger Joey Gallo’s positive test, but it turned out to be nothing.  Joey had tested positive and negative twice each within a week. The cold testing might be a bit flawed. 

During the Yankee game, they did announce an expanded playoffs for 16 teams.  So, just like the NBA and NHL, more than half the league will get into the playoffs.  What could be more exclusive than that?  The DH will be in the National League now.  Relievers have the three-batter minimum, but still no pitch clock.  And, there will be automatic runners for extra-inning games.  There also won’t be any fans in attendance.  This is going to be crushing for TV broadcasts as the fans are actually integral to the game.  Other sports aren’t as dependent, but they are a major part of screen time in baseball.

The next day I got to hear the end of the Rangers and Rockies’ first game at the new ballpark.  I assume most of broadcaster Eric Nadel’s comments on the stadium came at the beginning of the game.  The Rangers won in a 1-0 shutout.  This might be a bad sign for offense at the park.  A worse sign was that the game still took nearly three hours. 

On Saturday, FOX did an unprecedented baseball triple-header (quadruple if you count the late game on FS1).  I actually kind of appreciate the effort they made to make this opening weekend an event.  There was a little bit of social justice mixed into the broadcast, but mostly they kept to calling the games and having a good time.  Both Trump and Biden were running presidential ads during the games, so you still had plenty of politics. 
 
I’m not recapping any of these games.  I’ll just hit some random observations.  The Cubs and the Brewers played first at Wrigley.  I got together with dad to watch the game.  We got a pizza and breadsticks from a local place, Roadrunner Pizza.  I’m somewhat sorry to report it was subpar.  It was hard and thin, as opposed to chewy.  I like their pizza generally, but the quality varies widely from visit to visit.  Don’t be the first pizza order of the day, I guess, which is what I think ours was.

I was somewhat amazed by the inclusion of virtual computer-generated fans in the stands for the game to go along with the artificial crowd noise.  I’d say the main problem with the effect was that they weren’t doing it in every shot.  The games somehow had a listless quality to them without the fans there.  Certainly, the coverage suffered without having cute kids, hot chicks, and guys dropping foul balls.  There were a few real fans across the street in the Wrigleyville Rooftop stands at least.

For the game itself, I’m still snickering over Lorenzo Cain getting out of a pickle from the Cubs’ infield with himself and another runner avoiding a rundown.  There was a near bench-clearing brawl after a couple of hit batters.  The umps had to explain to the managers that the revised cold protocol rules don’t allow for fighting.  It turned out to be a pretty good game, but it ran for three-and-a-half hours.  I knew we were in trouble when we were an hour in and it was the top of the third. 

Dad was being a bit uncommunicative for some reason in the afternoon, so I left after that game.  Since I’d already missed the start of the second game with Dodgers and the Giants and the Rangers and Rockies on the radio, which started at the same time, I decided to go to the mall for a minute to get a couple of things.  One thing was an artbook that was recommended to me last week by a clerk as I was at the checkout buying different artbook.  If buying three artbooks this year and drawing from them doesn’t finally turn me into a great artist, I’m going to give up.        

At Dodger Stadium, cutouts of celebrities sat behind home plate.  The game seemed pretty good, but I had the Ranger game on the radio at the same time.  I’d also called my Aunt Judy in Missouri to congratulate her on a Cardinals victory this afternoon.  She was very happy to have her team back.  I noticed in the game was that FOX was trying to run a full commercial in during break in the action on field.  This resulted in missing a pitch, but at least the cutouts weren’t missing any of the action.  

The Ranger/Rockies game was also pretty tight.  In the ninth, Eric Nadel and Matt Hicks were surprised by a Roughned Odor foul ball going into their broadcast booth.  They’re six levels up and never thought one would ever reach them and here it happened in the second game in the park.  There was absolutely no panic over the foul ball coming at them.  They both just moved out of the way.

The marquee game came afterward between the Yankees and Nationals.  Surprisingly, the Yankees and Dodgers lost today.  I’m kind of shocked.  There goes the undefeated seasons for both them.  More surprisingly, I saw my second pole shot homer of the day during the game.  You’d think the foul poles would be impossible to hit in a game.

On Sunday, I heard Joey Gallo hit the first home run in Globe Life Park in the stadium’s third game.  However, Trevor Story would hit a pair of homers to lead the Rockies to victory.  While listening, I flipped around the TV and found another game on a Mexican station between the Astros and Mariners.  The game was on a different Mexican station than the one who was broadcasting MLB last year.  This is good news for my baseball viewing for the rest of the summer.  And there was a game on ESPN Radio right after.  They were even calling the game fairly straight without being totally annoying in shoving The Agenda down people’s throats.

So, what have we learned about sports overall this summer.  Seemingly, the condition of these sports coming back was that they all had constantly remind viewer about the cold and had to promote BLM.  NASCAR got hit very hard with that BLM mandate.   (I just noticed that I’d actually said something nice about Bubba Wallace last year 7-7-19.)  Sports is no escape from current events, if it ever really was.  Now it’s simply another mouthpiece for propaganda for the democrat deep corporate media state.  Just to spite them, I’m going to still watch and enjoy what I can.

NHL Hockey starts next week.  I’ll try to check in to see if they’ve lost their dignity too.  I may or may not write about it.  I’m not enthusiastic about sports writing right now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment