Thursday, March 1, 2018

NM State Aggies vs MS Valley St Delta Devils Baseball Game 2, 2-24-18

Game 2

(Continued from Game 1.)

Between games, we went back to Ron’s car.  Lovely Kiley Tonge from the Aggie Volleyball team was still around.  Ron saw her and seemed to be mentally planning on joining me for volleyball next season.  The sun was hitting the car’s windshield and it was warm inside.  I started screaming as I sat down.  It was so wonderful to be warm again.  After a snack, we reluctantly returned to the ballpark.  I saw a couple of extremes there.  One girl entering was wearing a tank top.  I told Ron and he was shocked.  (She did put on a hoodie after sitting down.)  On the Visitor’s side, I saw one lady wearing a parka, which seemed a lot more appropriate.

The wind had stilled a bit, but basically any wind in that cold was miserable.  The crowd had definitely thinned out.  My notes became less frequent as I didn’t feel like writing.  Jonathan Groff got the Aggie start in Game 2.  He finished off the first with a strikeout looking.  The umpire hesitated, causing a Devil’s fan to comment, “Drama!” 

The Aggie lineup was about half different from the last game with a bunch of subs in.  Logan Bottrell led off the game with perfectly placed infield hit behind the pitcher.  Jeremiah Barr for the Devils hit four batters in the inning, but somehow only gave up three runs, leaving the bases loaded.  Thankfully, I don’t think he hit anyone hard.  Logan Ehnes had a memorable strikeout, accidently chucking his bat down the third base line on the third strike.  3-0 Aggies.

Noah Haupt managed to get a base hit on a sacrifice bunt in the second.  Mason Fishback would drive in Joey Ortiz from second to make it 4-0.  The bases were left loaded again.  In the third, Ortiz made a good play deep in the hole on a grounder for the final out.  In the bottom, Bruno Teramoto got hit on the helmet.  Again, thankfully, not a hard hit.  Butrell got an infield hit on another sac bunt attempt.  Gotta be really honest, it’s not just bad pitching for MSVS, they’ve got some fielding issues too.  No runs this inning.

One of the guys behind us made the comment, “Hey, there’s a basketball game tonight at the Pan-Am.”  His friend replied, “I bet it’s warmer there too.”  They both agreed that it would be a lot more expensive as well.  By the fourth, I started listening to the Aggie Men’s Basketball pregame on my radio.  The Aggie Women’s Basketball team had won that afternoon.  They’d be playing for a chance at the WAC regular season championship next weekend. 

AD Mario Moccia came on and was asked about the current NCAA scandal.  He told everyone not to worry about it reaching NMSU, “We don’t have any money to bribe anyone.”  It was also mentioned that tonight’s opponent, UMKC, was reevaluating its Division I status.  With Chicago State’s shaky footing, the WAC may have some problems.  The Roo’s, for now at least, came into this game, the Aggie Men’s last home game, with a four-game winning streak.  The Aggie Men had a chance to clinch their regular season championship tonight. 

It had also gotten cold enough that I was only able to keep up my scorecard.  Scribbling notes became too much effort.  The Aggies put up a couple more runs to make it 6-0 after four.  Caleb Henderson, aka “Earl”, drove in one run, but was thrown out trying to take second.  Ehnes struck out again and this time helicoptered his bat into the Aggie dugout on the third strike.  Try using some of that furniture glue spray. 

In the fifth, Jancarlos Aponte on the Devils got a triple as Tristen Carranza missed the ball on a dive, but he was left stranded.  The Devils brought in a new pitcher for the bottom.  Seven batters came to the plate before he got an out.  The Aggies sent 18 men to the plate in the inning.  Coach Brian Green put in some subs, but most of his subs had already started in the game.  MSVS finally put in another pitcher to get the last out, but by that time 14 runs had scored.  The PA had to take a minute before giving the inning totals.  20-0 Aggies.

Chance Hroch relieved Groff in the sixth.  No problems there.  The Aggies went down in the sixth without scoring, though Carranza almost made it to first on a dropped third strike, when the catcher nearly forgot to make a play.  For the seventh, I finally noticed that MSVS didn’t have a first base coach.  At the basketball game, it was 40-28 Aggies at the half.  I was listening, but not even attempting to take notes on the action. 

After the Delta Devils’ at bat ended in the top of the seventh, instead of the stretch, regular between innings music started playing.  Both teams then went out on the field and started shaking hands.  The music suddenly switched to the Aggie fight song.  The PA announced the final score.  It was over.  Aggies win 20-0, but even better, I was still alive.  I was pretty sure I was going to expire before the ninth.  Ron later told me that his teeth had started chattering at the start of the inning.  His windbreaker and hoodie were insufficient against the wind.  I had heard this was going to be a 9-inning game yesterday, but that could have been wrong.  I have been there for 9 and 7 inning double headers.  Whatever.  I don’t feel cheated, though Death might feel differently, just missing out on a couple new recruits.

For this game, Jonathan Groff gets a gameball for going 5 innings, giving up no runs, three hits, and getting 7 strikeouts.  Once again, Mason Fishback gets another for going 3 for 5 with 4 RBI’s.  Logan Bottrell went 4 for 5 with three runs scored.  And like the last game, the Aggies got all of their runs without a home run.  I missed an error somewhere on my scorecard.  The official scorer must have changed their mind after an inning at some point, because I did hear the PA giving the after-inning stats. 

For my part, these two games just about sucked the life out of me.  The next day, I was still nearly too exhausted to write or do anything.  As I told Ron afterward, if it had just been me going, I wouldn’t have gone.  When I stepped outside in the morning to get the mail, I figured out this going to be a mistake.  Long, blowout games against bad opponents aren’t that great to sit through to begin with, much less when it’s freezing.  Frankly so far, this hasn’t been a very enjoyable Aggie Baseball season with some unpleasant weather, uncompetitive wins, and a couple of bad losses.  

After the game, we went to Jack-in-the-Box, mostly since I had a coupon for free tacos.  Our meals were good.  (I especially liked my chocolate shake.)  We finished listening to the Men’s Basketball game.  They had started out hot and had a 20-point lead for much of the game.  Near the end, the seniors were taken out of the game, one at a time.  The Aggies won in a 82-58 thrashingThey won the regular season WAC title.  I was so tired, just writing down the score and a little “Yea!” was all I could manage. 



No comments:

Post a Comment