Monday, October 1, 2018

NM State Aggies vs Utah Valley Wolverines Soccer 9-28-18

It’s really a troubling sign that I actually threw away my notes for this game before I wrote this.  Thankfully, they were on top of the garbage when I retrieved them after I realized that I’d forgotten to write up this match.  I got two reasons for forgetting.  One, as I write this on Sunday evening, I’ve been to seven sporting events over the past four days. Two, of the seven events, this is one I’d probably like to forget. 

Given that I’d taken off Thursday to see Aggie Volleyball, and it was quarter end Friday night, and there were some equipment issues at work, I shouldn’t have gone to this soccer match.  I was going to ensure that I’d be arriving at work late and wouldn’t be able to talk to anybody about the status of anything.  On the other hand, screw it!  I want to see the soccer girls.  (It would require a separate post to explain my job dissatisfaction and I don’t have the time or energy.)

This felt like an unenthusiastic start to WAC play for the team on the part of the fans.  The parking lot was more empty than usual for a game day.  There was a tailgate tent set up, but there was just one guy there, smoking a cigar.  A few members of Aggie Softball arrived.  I think they were working behind the nets to shag balls.  (Walking up and down the football berm, serving rolled tacos at volleyball, and now this.  Why are these poor girls being punished so harshly?)  The football team was next door working out on the practice field. 

It would be hot, bright, and sunny for today’s game.  Once again, I was hiding under an umbrella with a just-purchased Gatorade.  Late in the first half, they brought in a jug of water for the fans, but no cups.  There was again no program.  I’m sensing some slight indifference towards the fans. 

Inside, you couldn’t miss the opposition, the Utah Valley Wolverines, in their bright, lime green warmup tops.  They worked out by the stands, so I got a good look at them.  Then, they took shots at the scoreboard behind the north goal like every other opposition team.  The stands were still covered in grass clippings from last game (9-20-18).  The crowd was very light to start, but filled in reasonably at the start of the match.  DJ Downs read off a series of upcoming Aggie game announcements before this game started.  He accidently started reading the entry to promote this match and caught himself and stopped. 

I noticed my dear Aileen Galicia was playing last week in the team’s loss in El Paso to UTEP.  I don’t know if she had a concussion or not when she didn’t play in the last game here, but I’m glad she’s back.  She seemed a little subdued during player introductions.  Dmitri Fong was not back in goal for the UTEP game.  I’m thinking she injured herself but good in the last game and might be done for the season.  Ashley Martin would be in goal.  She was at least fired up and damn happy to be there in the introductions.  That was good to see.

First Half
43’ left in the half, Ash was already getting a workout and blocked a shot.  Out in the field, Aileen was being all but assaulted whenever she touched the ball.  I think she might have been discussed in the Wolverines’ pre-game.  (Seriously, she was getting man-handled.)  Across the field, both coaches were shouting directions out to their players.  Ashley was vocal than I’d heard her before, or perhaps because the crowd was being really quiet, I could hear more.  (The Old Man wasn’t even there with his usual cheering.) 

Rebecca Mazzie was tripped at midfield.  Jess McDow got knocked down.  On second thought, the Wolverines were playing all the Aggies physical.  Aileen gave it back and knocked down one of the Wolverines.  35’ there was a turnover on the Aggie end.  One quick crossing pass in front of the goal and Sadie Brockbank found the back of the net.  Ash pretty much had no chance on it.  1-0 Wolverines.  Those turnovers are brutal.

32’ Ashley stopped a roller on goal.  31’ Aileen banged heads with a girl.  If she had a concussion before, I was now really concerned about her, but both girls got right back up.  Aileen then knocked down another player right afterward.  I think some baseball boys were sitting in front of the stands and they cheered for her roughhousing.  25’ Aileen ambushed one attacker from behind and then slide tacked another.  Not only should she be playing hockey, Aileen’s position would be that of “goon.” 

20’ I think I heard Coach Doug Martin’s voice at the football practice field.  Apparently, he wasn’t happy with the team and said so with a short, powerful burst of profanity.  Everyone in crowd looked at each other.  Did you just hear that?  This was then followed by everyone chuckling.

Back to soccer, 16’ the Wolverines took another shot that went wide.  9’ some members of Aggie Volleyball came in, including Megan Hart and Tatyana Battle.  On field, Ashley tipped out a shot.  7’ Ash came out to stop an attack.  3’ Football practice ended.  A long train of the guys started marching towards the training building.  Hey, isn’t this the same building that the girls will be using at halftime?  Hopefully, they have different locker rooms. 

1’ Lece Aviles (nice hair, by the way) hit by a Wolverine in the UTV box.  The ref whistled Lece and turned the ball over to the Wolverines.  At this point, the fans started letting the ref have it.  They’d been wanting some yellow cards handed out for rough play by the Wolverines.  Bad idea.  Aileen would have been ejected by now by that standard.  Apparently the ref was just going to “let them play,” as it were, with little interference.

Halftime
A couple of guys came out of the crowd for a quick soccer skills competition.  The scoreboard for the game didn’t look good: UTV 4 shots on goal, NMSU 0.  Also, they were playing really miserable rap music through the break and before the match.  I’ve just about given up on better concessions, but can we get some better music?

Second Half
44’ Aileen took the initiative and drove down and shot just wide.  43’ she bumped a girl hard.  The crowd applauded.  (Honestly, I didn’t realize how rough she was in this game until I started reading my notes.)  42’ UTV took a shot just over the Aggie goal.  41’ Ash came out for an attack, but missed the ball.  Emma Smith was there by the goal and managed to kick it out.  Scary. 

40’ Ash stopped another roller.  If you’re talking about your goalie this much in a game, it’s probably a bad sign.  Meanwhile, Lece gave back some abuse and knocked down a Wolverine.  39’ a shot into the top shelf by Leesa Stowe2-0 Wolverines.  The shot came from way outside of the box.  Ash, again, had no chance on it.  38’ Audrey Chavez came right back and got in an attack with a high kick in front of the box.  The goalie caught it.

37’ defender Kelly Burton broke up a Wolverine breakaway.  30’ Audrey ran over a girl.  I think the Aggies were at least winning the fights by this point.  Right after that, Ashley grabbed a ball in the box in front of two attackers.  I’m not sure how she did it or how two attackers were left unchallenged that deep in the Aggie end.  27’ Emma took a long shot that was caught.  Right back to the other end, UTV got another attack in front of the net.  The attacker took a kick with her back turned to the net with her heel.  That would have been spectacular if it had worked.  (If I ever see a bicycle kick into the net in person, I might faint.) 

21’ the crowd was in an uproar as Emma was grabbed, but called for a foul.  20’ Aileen kicked away a ball in front of a wide open Aggie net.  Whew.  18’ Ashley got in on the rough play and knocked down a girl in the box.  15’ my personal highlight of the game.  Briana Ainsworth came in a bit after the other volleyball girls, but sat with maybe her mother up in the stands behind me.  When she left, I got her attention and congratulated her on the win yesterday.  I praised her serving and hustle on one particular play.  Bri seems like a really girl and maybe a bit reserved.  I hope I didn’t startle her. 

12’ Whitney Paskins was undefended in front of the Aggie net and kicked it in.  3-0 Wolverines.  Ashley had less chance on this one than a penalty kick.  At this point, much of the crowd left, including the other volleyball girls.  8’ Mia Montano came in as goalie.  I don’t think it was because Ashley was doing a bad job.  With the score out-of-hand this late, I’m thinking Coach Baarts wanted to get Mia some work.  There was one more shot by UTV that went just wide.  With under a minute left, Becca got in one more Aggie shove in and pushed a Wolverine into the ground. 

3-0 Utah Valley was the final.  This was a bad start to conference play for the Aggies.  The stat of the match was simply 7 to 1 shots on goal for the Wolverines.  After the match, the teams shook hands with each other (somehow no fist fights broke out) and the refs.  Last year, win or lose, the girls would then go to midfield and wave to the fans.  This year, they just walked directly back to their locker room. 

The team is showing some fight out on the field, but they’re looking more like soccer hooligans than soccer players at the moment.  The more offensive-minded strategy from previous games has given way to chaos.  There was no offense today.  If the team was being told to play tougher and more defensively for this game, as they were last year, why was the other team getting wide-open looks at the goal?  For the last two games, there’s been a couple of soccer experts behind me in the stands.  They’re giving a steady stream of technical commentary on what the team and the players aren’t doing well.  I wish I understood more of it, or alternately could have them write up the conclusion for this post to make it more useful. 


I was depressed after the match and seriously questioning my commitment to the team.  When I got to work, the depression just worse with what awaited me.  I am taking vacation for their next weekday game, so no more coming into work late.  (It’s almost as bad as me not showing up at all in terms of work.  Yes, I told them in advance I was coming in late.  They were okay with it or perhaps don’t give crap if I’m there or not.)  For this season at least, I’m there to see Aileen and wish her well on Senior Day in a few weeks.  Next year, I don’t know.  Who knows what my schedule will be then anyway?  Let’s hope for a successful change in strategy and bounce back game the next time I’m there.

No comments:

Post a Comment