Wednesday, October 31, 2018

NM State Aggies vs UTRGV Vaqueros Soccer 10-27-18

I almost did it.  I almost saw every Aggie Soccer home game.  Aggie Volleyball this afternoon had run long (and disappointing).  After driving through an obstacle course in the parking lot with the Pack the Pan-Am crowd leaving and the crowd for the Battle of the Bands at the next door football stadium, Ron and I arrived at the soccer complex an hour after the match had started.  So, I had to settle for seeing seven-and-a-half games this season.

I was pleased that there was finally a program out for this match.  After seeing it, I didn’t want to look at the scoreboard.  Today’s opponent, UTRGV (who was also playing the volleyball team today), was a much better team.  I don’t know what the conference standings are, but I assume they’re at or near the top.  But upon entering the stadium, we had to look.  Surprisingly, it was 1-0 Aggies with about a minute left in the half. 

The main grandstand was also full with fans, friends, and family of the team.  Just as we found an empty spot to sit at, Alexa Barrera charged at the Vaquero goal and just floated one into the net.  Gooooal!  She did it with all of four seconds left on the clock, and it was announced as her second goal of the match.  2-0 Aggies at the half.  Well, that was a bit of a pick-me-up after the volleyball loss.  There was the odd line on the scoreboard with the Vaqueros having a six to one advantage in shots on goal.  How did the Aggies have two goals, but only one SOG?  (The official scoring didn’t clear that up either.  Maybe it was just wrong on the scoreboard.  There were some lights out on the board.) 

Second Half
Nothing of interest happened during halftime.  Just to set the players here, Ashley Martin was in goal for the Aggies.  #27 Kinga Szemik from Poland was keeping for the Vaqueros.  She was pretty easy to spot being tall and in a bright green top.  Actually, most of their team was tall and, like their volleyball team, international or Texan.  I noticed #10 Emily Zapata on field because she wore her long hair loose, which I’m not sure I’ve seen before.  My dear Aileen Galicia was out on field.  She looked beautiful.  It looked like she was wearing a bit of makeup and had her hair curled.  She wanted to look good for her last game as a senior.  Our hero of the first half, Alexa, did not start the second half.

We had a couple of distractions to begin the match.  One was of our own doing.  Aggie Football was playing on the road and their game started at about the same time.  Ron and I both had radios and earplugs in to listen.  (I’ll recap that in some fashion elsewhere.)  The other issue was a bee that started buzzing around the area.  After a few nervous minutes, he finally flew off.

The Aggies attacked first at 44’ left in the match with Audrey Chavez taking a long shot on goal that was caught.  From here the Vaqueros took the initiative.  38’ Ashley stopped a roller on goal.  We can hear the bands playing next door at this point.  It added a little music to the proceedings.  34’ Ash saved a close shot.  There was a header off a corner right after that went over the net. 

Lovely Briana Ainsworth came into the stadium here.  She was the only one from the volleyball that came today that I saw.  The team had announced an autograph session after the match.  They might have had quite a few fans there for it.  She’s close to a parent or fan in the regular soccer crowd.  Bri was smiling, but she’s always smiling, so I don’t know how she was feeling about her match.

33’ #8 Kelzy Jepsen scored for the Vaqueros.  I basically missed it, so I can’t say how it happened.  I was scribbling at the time and it developed very quickly.  Ron didn’t even seem to know how it happened, and he was watching.  2-1 Aggies.  28’ Alexa came back in. 

A couple of Aggie players in vests were shagging balls on the sidelines and by the goals.  Senior Sarina Stockton was working by the grandstand.  This was the first time I’d gotten a good look at her; she’s pretty.  Sarina played a little hacky with a ball during a stoppage.  Later in the game, she talked to her family in the stands. 

The game got a bit more aggressive.  23’ Aileen got in a shove in the back on a player with an elbow.  That’s my girl.  22’ Alexa made a judo throw on a Vaquero player at midfield.  That resulted in a free kick that Ash caught.  21’ on the other end, Rebecca Mazzie got tacked to the ground.  Kinga would catch the free kick there.  I never figured out if Becca was the team captain or not.

16’ the Vaqueros fired a free kick just outside the Aggie box.  The ball hovered around the net for a moment before being kicked out.  14’ Ashley came under heavy fire here.  She came out and made a save.  She backed up and made a catch.  But another immediate attack by Emily Zapata (with the loose hair) from outside the box went in.  Tied 2-2.  She’d actually slipped on a ball earlier that got a chuckle from the crowd.

13’ Emily got in another shot.  9’ Ash caught another shot.  6’ Aileen got another knock down of an opposing player.  I wonder if she keeps count of those, like there’s a board somewhere with pictures of flattened players, like a WWII pilot counting kills on their plane.  3’ Micaela Milavec made an impressive trip of a Vaquero.  With under a minute, Ashley smothered a Vaquero free kick from outside of the box. 

First Overtime
I wasn’t feeling good about seeing a win by this point.  I was perhaps hoping for a tie.  Ron received a call from his brother about coming to a family dinner that was just starting.  He had to beg off.  I felt bad about that he was missing out on that.  He’d also invited me to the dinner, but we didn’t know how long this was going to take.  Much of the crowd apparently had somewhere else to be too and left, including Briana. 

We didn’t have to wait that long.  My only note for the overtime was at 5’.  The Vaqueros took a high bouncing shot.  Ashley came out to stop it and it went over her into the net.  3-2 UTRGV final.  There wasn’t an announcement of the scoring player.  Your stat of the match, for what it’s worth, shots on goal 12 to 3 for the Vaqueros.

Senior Day Ceremonies?
The rest of the stands cleared with the families and friends remaining.  They took bundles of flowers down to the field for the girls.  Next door, the football stadium was emptying at the same time to create a bigger traffic mess.  Ron and I waited in the stands for the Senior Day ceremonies.

Which didn’t happen.  Ceremonies are for winners?  The graduating girls’ numbers were sprayed on the sidelines.  Did they do something before the match?  If so, they did it well before the match, because regulation finished two hours after the announced start time.  I just don’t know.  Last year (10-22-17), the seniors gave little speeches on field to the crowd.  This time, nothing.  The girls had to be coaxed back on field.  They met with friends and family by the grandstand.

And here’s where I likely fumbled the ball.  After waiting for several minutes, I figured out that there wasn’t going to be a ceremony and I nudged Ron to leave.  He still needed to go to work soon.  I saw Aileen on the other end of the field.  I kind of hoped to catch her on the way out, but missed her as she walked downfield.  I was initially going to try and catch up with her, but decided not to and told Ron we could go.

He was surprised by my ambivalence.  I was too.  Maybe if I’d been there by myself, I might have stayed for awhile and met some of the girls even though it’s a bit awkward after a loss.  As it was, I felt like I was holding up Ron.  But, I felt so depressed after these two disheartening losses today and no senior day ceremony, I think I was afraid meeting Aileen would go badly too somehow.  I’m sure it would have actually been pleasant, but at time I didn’t want any more heartbreak.

I guess I’m going to have to sum up the soccer season here.  It was bad.  They finished 2-16.  Aileen was the top goal scorer with four.  Four.  And I’m not sure if she even scored in the second half of the season.  Total goals were 16 to 43 for their opponents.  I’m not a soccer analyst, but the team has taken a definitive step backward in Coach Rob Baarts’ first season.  Losing eight seniors from this team (and probably a few more players) will give him an opportunity to remake the team to his style of play.  Also, the coach wasn’t happy with the pre-conference schedule, so he’ll be able to set that as well.

I was coming this season to see Aileen and goalie Dmitri Fong.  Unfortunately, Dmitri spent almost the entire season injured.  She seems to have so much potential, but wonder if she’ll be back or even the primary goalie.  I think Aileen was injured, maybe with a concussion, earlier in the season.  After she missed a game, she never seemed the same.  Aileen was still physically aggressive, but wasn’t attacking the net.  That might have been a strategy move by the coach or something else.  I don’t know.  I think I meant to ask her.  I had some other questions about the team, but I don’t I think I could have asked them there on the field.   


Aggie Soccer has always been on probation with me.  I have some intention of going back, but I don’t think I’ll be trying to go to every match like I did this year.  That was causing me some issues going to those 4:00 weekday games and getting to work late.  I’m even questioning whether I should be meeting Aggie players and getting autographs.  I’ve had good and bad experiences.  Aileen was a good one.  Saying “goodbye forever” in person was going to be hard.  Maybe that was why I didn’t want to see her afterward.  Good luck to Aileen and the other seniors and to the team next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment