Thursday, August 13, 2020

Artifacts: USS Ranger 1960 Yearbook Air Department

Okay, okay.  We're almost to the fighter squadrons.  This is the Air Department.  I love these guys doing the carrier deck ballet.


V-1 moves the planes.


V-2 is the shooters that load the catapults.  (I hope nobody is taking my notes as actual knowledgeable commentary.  I probably should have said up front that I don't really know anything about carrier operations and I've barely skimmed this book.)



V-3 loads and unloads planes from the hanger deck.


V-4 fuels the planes.


V-6 maintains the aircraft.  (No, there isn't a V-5.  I rechecked the book.  There isn't one.)



I'm not sure why the ship's two helicopters are listed in this section. The birds are named Pixie and Dixie after the cartoon mice.  The text is a bit cutoff in the picture, but this unit has made 837 rescues since its inception.

No comments:

Post a Comment