Wednesday, October 20, 2021

NM State Aggies Men’s Basketball Crimson and White Scrimmage 10-12-21


I don’t know if
Men’s Basketball has done a Crimson & White Scrimmage in recent memory.  Volleyball has canceled theirs for the last two years.  I don’t know if football has done one lately.  In any case, it’s a nice little promo for the Basketball season and get together for the fans.  They team hasn’t played in the Pan-Am Center in front of a crowd for a full season.  I was glad to have something to do on my second week of vacation, which I needed after catching up for a week on the work that wasn’t done while I was gone two weeks ago. 

 

(On the other hand, a new network showed up over the weekend, Heroes and Icons.  In the evening, they show episodes from the five different Star Trek shows (that I recognize as canonical) back-to-back.  (I also consider the animated show from the 70’s canonical, even though it’s officially been de-canonized.  I wouldn’t mind seeing it again.)  It’s kind of interesting watching from the Original to Enterprise in one sitting.  It’s also stunning how many plots they reused.)

 

I was the only one that wanted to go to the scrimmage.  Dad said, “Yes,” remembered he’d have to wear a mask, and then said, “No.”  He then asked if I wanted to see the new James Bond movie.  I told him he’d have to wear a mask there, but he didn’t seem to believe me.  Ron said, “Yes,” and then decided against going because he didn’t think it was worth the effort.  We’re planning on going to Volleyball in a couple of days anyway.  Fine.  I’ll go alone.

 

There was a blast of high winds today in Las Cruces, but they died down at sundown before I left.  With the new underpass, it was a nice easy drive to the Pan-Am Center.  I was worried pulling in as there were several firetrucks in the parking lot.  It turned out that the firemen were training there.  It was a $5 general admission ticket.  The proceeds were going to giving game tickets to kids’ organizations, like the Boys & Girls Club.  This would be the only time you could pick your seat for a Men’s game without having to pay specifically for it. 

 

There was a line outside to get in.  That was a good sign for the crowd.  I could see the new scoreboard from outside.  Inside, there was a program, but no new schedule poster for the team.  Disappointing.  The merch tent was set up inside, but didn’t have that “Guns Up” t-shirt there.  I would have taken a look at it.  AD Mario Moccia was greeting people at the door when I walked back by.  I’m sorry I missed that.  I skipped the Concessions, because the mask mandate was in effect.  I stopped by a water fountain.  Even with the wind died down, there was enough dust in the air that I needed to wash out my mouth.

 

I took a seat near where I usually sit for Volleyball behind the bench, which would have an expensive ticket otherwise.  The sport court now had basketball markings laid out on it.  Last week on the Aggie Coaches Show, Mario said he had a long story to tell about what happened to the new court, but didn’t have the time to tell it.  In short, the new court is ruined and they’ll have to replace it in the offseason.  Mario regretted that they’d cut corners getting it.

 

The guys were out warming up on court.  I tried to identify the players from the roster.  The Cheerleaders were there in shorts and t-shirts (and ridiculously wearing masks).  Some of the coaches were similarly attired.  So, it was Casual Day.  Coach Jans looked pleased with crowd.  Mario came around through and greeted some fans.  I think Emerson was sitting by PA Ed.  I wasn’t sure because of the mask.  Stupid masks.  (Why hasn’t she graduated yet?)  The crowd might have been around 500, which wasn’t bad for a scrimmage.             

 

A beautiful girl with long, dark hair frantically ran around the sidelines before the introductions.  (Sorry, Emerson.  Here I am again looking at other women.)  For the introductions, she told the coaches where to stand on court.  Coach Jans got a warm reception for a guy who interviewed for rival UTEP’s head coaching job in the offseason.  Assistant Coach Dominique Taylor was introduced.  Hey, I met that guy at the Barbara Hubbard Room once.  He was nice guy.  Glad to see he got promoted. 

 

The new video board was put to use showing the new player intro video.  “You can’t handle the truth!” blared the rap music that played over the video.  It looked good.  As for the player intros, I thought new guy, Jorge Moreno, from Mexico looked huge.  Mike Peake looked like a baller.  Teddy Allen should have caught my eye more in the introductions.  The roster lists his high school as Boys Town.  I’ve sent them donations before.  Glad to see my contribution paid off.  Then the returning players were introduced.  Clayton Henry was on crutches.  That might not be a good sign for him playing.  Jabari Rice looked a little underfed.  He also nearly jumped the line in front of Clayton.  Local hero, Johnny McCants, was introduced last.  He shook hands with team trainers first before joining the team at center court.  Classy. 

 

 

Okay, here I’m not sure what to do.  I’d assumed, incorrectly, that someone would be operating the scoreboard and keeping score during the scrimmage.  If I’d been more aware I would maybe have kept score myself somehow.  This presents a dilemma.  I don’t have any scoring for this, just individual plays.  I guess I’ll just list whatever plays stood out.

 

Will McNair scored the first points for the Crimson squad and for the game.  Peake fired in a three for the Crimson.  Mario McKinney took in a turnover for a layup.  Peake put down a slam.  This is weird without a running score.  Jabari found Jorge under the White team basket.  Unfortunately, he missed a couple of times there.  Teddy scored his first points for the Crimson with a three.  Back down court, Johnny went back to Jorge under the basket.  He made a good head fake and scored.  Next trip, Johnny missed a three.  Jorge got the rebound on a Crimson miss.  Marsei Caston scored a couple of baskets before a timeout was called about 5 minutes in.

 

The assistant coaches were talking to the players.  Jans was looking on over both squads.  The Cheerleaders did a t-shirt toss.  Back to play, Jabari got a layup in the lane and drew a foul for the White.  Chi Chi made a three.  That’s the name announced and it’s not on the roster.  I didn’t get the number.  Did I hear it wrong?  I can hear the players on court and the coaches reasonably well.  It was reasonably quiet in the arena.  What were you expecting for a scrimmage?

 

Jabari was under the basket and got two bites of the apple with a rebound in the middle, but only managed to get fouled by Peake.  Teddy picked up another basket by driving the lane.  Back down court, a couple of players slipped on sweat at midcourt.  I hope that isn’t a feature of the new surface.  Teddy nailed a jumper and plucked a rebound off a missed three by Johnny.  Peake drained a three for the Crimson.  A foul was called on Marsei.  The refs were getting more active.  Jans also got more active.  He went over to Marsei and gave him an earful in the huddle.  He was probably playing too rough against teammates.       

 

During the timeout, the beautiful girl with the long hair and Pistol Pete wheeled out the t-hirt Gatling cannon.  I was unimpressed with this artillery the last time I saw it in action.  This time was different.  It fired down court easily into the top of the lower bowl and at a rapid fire.  I was actually stunned as a barrage of t-shirts and souvenir balls rained down.  A t-shirt fell down near me, going over a group of young men a couple of rows below me, who were standing and waving.  A couple of young women nearby reached over and grabbed it.  One of the guys started reaching for it too.  I didn’t move.  The girls figured out it was too big for either of them and offered it to the guys.  That was nice.

 

Back to play, Jorge put in another from under the basket.  Marsei got another lecture from Associate Head Coach Miller.  Teddy got a layup.  He then got a steal, but was blocked on another layup.  Jabari stuck a three for the White.  I have no idea if the score was close at this point.  McKinney showed off his skills with a fake out and a jumper and then a steal and a layup.  This display got a rise out of the guys in front of me.  Jorge picked up a foul.  Coach Miller talked to him while he was at the lane waiting for the free throws.  Jorge came back thumping in a jam.  Peake got another layup on a back door cutter.

 

During the next timeout, a couple of little kids posed for Flex Cam and got on camera.  I’d noticed them earlier when their dad brought in a couple of large popcorns for them.  I could smell them though they were a couple of rows below me.  I really wanted some popcorn after that.  The White went to a full court press out of the timeout.  They picked up the offense with a three from Marsei and a Jabari jam. 

 

Peake hit a three for the Crimson, who also went to a full court press out of a timeout.  White pressed back.  One of the guys below me was watching a playoff baseball game on his phone.  I had to suppress myself from asking him about the score.  Jabari put in a three for the Crimson.  McKinney answered with a three for the White.  He came up limping a little, but stayed in.  I finally noticed Adam Young was sitting across the court watching.  He wasn’t calling the scrimmage, but I suspect he was doing so in his mind. 

 

Teddy hit a three for the Crimson.  Teddy went one-on-one against Johnny and hit a fade away jumper over him.  Then he hit a three.  Then Teddy stole a pass out of Jabari’s hand and jammed it.  Afterward, he played up to the crowd.  I was going to be disappointed if somebody didn’t showboat for the crowd.  Assistant Coach Anwar and Dominique called him over to talk to them.  Perhaps they were telling him that he’s made them team?  Johnny went for a last second alley oop, but missed.  It’s good that he got that miss out of the way before the season started.

 

Alright, that was fun.  No, I’m not going to add up all of scoring to put down a final score.  I didn’t write down all of the scoring anyway.  I was reasonably impressed with some of the new guys, Mike Peake, Marsei Caston, Jorge Moreno, and especially Teddy Allen.  Hopefully, the players enjoyed having an audience.  This probably went off well enough that they’ll consider doing it again next season.  And, I’ll wait for the Volleyball match on Thursday to get in some more Aggie action.

 

[Newspaper Update: According to the Sun-News, the Red beat the Grey 51-41.  All of the promotional material referred to this game as Crimson versus White.  While the White jerseys were rather off-white, I suspect the newspaper editors simply didn’t want to capitalize the word, “White.”  They also claimed that no one officially kept player stats for the game.  I’m pretty sure that isn’t true.  Teddy Allen was listed as leading the way with at least 20 points.  In another article, the damaged Pan-Am Center floor saga continues with an insurance claim finally being filed to pay for a new floor.  Short of that, they’re trying to figure out which university department is going to pay for it.]

 

No comments:

Post a Comment