Friday, June 3, 2022

Memorial Day Weekend 2022 Part 4


Part 3

5-30-22 Plenty of Baseball

I really enjoyed Stadium’s Baseball show last year.  It was a fun chat about the MLB, which I appreciated.  It was seemingly popular enough that they expanded to do it twice a week.  But late in the season, the regular host left to cover other sports and it declined.  They didn’t cover the postseason at all. 

 

Much of Stadium’s good programming (at least in my opinion) has gone by the wayside.  Currently, Stadium’s only live show (when football is out of season) is a daily betting show, Live on the Line.  They do cover baseball, but just betting on the games.  (Actually, most of the betting seems to be on individual player performances.) 


 

I thought I’d tune in today and actually watch a full show to see their baseball coverage.  (I’d watched a couple of shows around the Superbowl.)  I was really glad I did.  The icon himself, Cody Decker, was a guest on the show with his betting takes.  He had a bobblehead behind him in his office that might have been his Chihuahuas model, which I have.  (How many other of the teams has Cody played for that made a bobblehead for him?)

 

French Open Tennis was on after, but, I’m sorry, I just can’t watch.  I just don’t care.  I used to be such a big tennis fan.  Now, it’s a bunch of Euro-dudes I could care less about and all the girls are unattractive and grunt a lot.  Also, I was eating the leftover pizza and doing laundry at the time when it was on.  I did a little Memorial Day tribute and watched a special on PBS about the Marines in the Pacific.  It was interesting, but I think I saw it last year at this time. 

 

Before I left for the supermarket, I checked out the Aggies’ website and found that they will be playing Oregon State in Corvallis, Oregon on Friday in the NCAA Baseball Tournament.  I’ll have to cover those results in another post.  On the way back from Wal-Mart, it suddenly occurred to me that there might be a ballgame on the radio.  There was.  I felt dumb for not checking earlier, but it’s kind of random when KROD broadcasts ESPN baseball games. 

 

I came in in the middle of the Cardinals and Padres.  I would have liked to have heard the whole game, since I like both teams.  I didn’t really appreciate the female co-announcer with the accent, though.  The Cards won pretty easily 6-3.  The game didn’t feel that close.  The Padres had had a quick turnaround from playing a day game yesterday and travelling to St. Louis today.  At a crucial moment late, Manny Machado was called out for interference on his backswing interfering with the catcher trying to throw out a runner.  It initially looked like he was going to be given first on Catcher’s Interference by Yadier Molina.  It was a close call, but apparently the correct one on review.

 

MLB.TV’s free game came on later with the Red Sox vs. Orioles.  The Sux didn’t show up and the O’s trampled them, 10-0.  Meanwhile, the Chihuahuas were playing the Salt Lake City Bees.  This led to me somewhat ridiculously watching and listening to the MLB game and listening to the Chihuahuas at the same time.  

 

The ball was jumping out of Smith Ballpark, even in the cold weather in Utah.  It was in the 50’s there.  The pups were coming from playing in the high 90’s in El Paso.  In spite of listening to two games at once, I did catch the early grand slam by Luis Liberato to give the Chihuahuas the lead.  There was a two-run homer by Jo Adell to make the score closer, but the Chihuahuas won, 6-3.

 

Lastly, when the sun went down I was able to pick up a weak signal out of Amarillo to hear the Rangers and the Rays.  The Rangers up by 7, but when I tuned in, Matt Moore was in pitching.  He faced five batters with no outs and gave up three runs, before being taken out.  The Rangers still hung on and won 9-5.  This game started a half-hour before the Chihuahuas game, but finished a half-hour after it was over.

 

Was this a great Memorial Day Weekend?  Yes, but mostly because of the Aggies’ unexpected championship.  Otherwise, I’ve been overly busy and haven’t really relaxed and enjoyed anything (except the food, the food was good).  Back to work tomorrow and running Month End processing.  I’m going to need another day off.

No comments:

Post a Comment