Tuesday, July 19, 2022

El Paso Chihuahuas vs Round Rock Express 7-16-22 Part 1

 

It’s been a while.  I’d been hoping to go to a Chihuahuas game earlier in the season with Ron and some co-workers.  Our schedules haven’t worked out, but maybe later this season.  This Saturday, my place of business paid for a group outing to the ballpark.  They’ve offered this before, but this was the first time I took them up on it.  (Though it’s not the first time I’ve attended a business picnic at the park, 8-23-15.  That was with Ron’s previous job.)  Ron hadn’t been interested in going with me until this year.  Since he was fired by my workplace a few years ago, that’s not surprising.  Enough time has passed to where he’s over it.  For my part, I needed him for a ride. 

 

I should discuss some the new pace-of-play rules changes in Triple-A this season.  There’s been a pitch clock for a few years.  Now to go with that, batters can only step out of the box once in an at bat and pitchers can only step off twice.  The strikezone is now called by the Hawkeye system, so no more arguing with the home plate ump (though the fans still boo them).  As soon as these changes fully kicked in, they made a difference in game play.  Games are now closer to two-and-a-half hours than three or more.  One road game I listened to earlier in the season, they actually delayed the start of game so that it would be more likely to be dark for the fireworks when it finished.  

 

I kind of wish I’d been blogging about the Chihuahuas this season.  Unlike last years’ losing season, this has been an interesting year.  I’ll just mention a couple of items off the top of my head.  Robinson Cano joined the team for a while and played well enough to get his contract purchased by another team.  The team has hit well.  A couple of players have been called up to the Padres, but the pups keep swinging.  I got to watch a game over the Internet when it was featured on MLB.TV.  Broadcaster, Tim Hagerty’s, son commentated with him for an inning, since it was Father’s Day.  (It was cute.)  The Chihuahuas are carrying a knuckleball pitcher.

 

In play, I’ve heard a game where the Chihuahuas hit two grand slam home runs.  (That was a win, but the final score was uncomfortably close.)  The team had the Sports Center play of the day with a diving catch into the netting.  There was a dispute on a Chihuahua home run that was close to foul pole.  The opposing manager charged out on field to protest while the batter was still rounding the bases.  After a conference by the umps confirmed the homer (no replay in the minors, thank goodness) the manager and the opposing pitcher were ejected for their subsequent emphatic protests.

 

This week on Thursday, the Chihuahuas were down by four runs twice to the Round Rock Express in the game, but still won in the tenth inning.  On Friday, the pups went down six runs early, but won it in the ninth.  It’s been like that a lot this season.  I was feeling good about going to this game.

 

Ron picked me up pretty early.  There was some bad road construction going on El Paso, but the traffic was reasonably light.  We got there about when the gates opened an hour before the game.  We strolled along the concourse and watched some very pretty girls walk past.  The team shop was a bit disappointing on their lack of selection.  We passed on the food since there was supposed to be food provided for the picnic.  I still wanted a bag of kettle corn.  I made the mistake of not buying one, because I didn’t want to carry around a big bag of popcorn.  There was supposed to be popcorn at the picnic, but there wasn’t.  I forgot to get some on the way out. 

 



It was UTEP night at the stadium.  The hat looks pretty sharp, but I didn’t see any at the stadium.  I’m also not sure if they were giving away the hat or selling them from reading the ad, which was being handed out at the gate.  There were tables set up at the main gate with a few UTEP athletes there.  As an NM State fan, I’m not that interested in UTEP, but I do listen to some of their games at times.  (Unlike other Aggie fans, at least I don’t hate the Miners.)

 


I didn’t expect to get some Volleyball girl autographs at a Chihuahuas game, but I did.  It’s a nice big glossy autograph card, too.  I feel like taking this to an Aggie game and finding AD Mario Moccia and showing this him.  There were three girls there.  I chatted with them about Coach Wallis for a minute and betrayed my actual allegiances.  They signed for me anyway.  I regret not going by the other athletes, basketball and football players I think, to get their autographs.  They all looked miserable, like animals on display in a zoo.  Worse, they were probably volunteers for the duty.    

 

Ron and I found the El Paso Locomotive team shop (who also play at the stadium) on the way to the Santa Fe Pavilion.  I wanted a t-shirt.  I don’t expect to go to a game any time soon and they don’t show their games on local TV anymore, but I still wanted a shirt.  The store closed.  I asked an attendant later, and he said they were only open during Locomotive games, which seems like at least one lost sale (me) and probably more.  I got to look in through the window when we were leaving stadium.  They had a bunch of nice t-shirts there.    

 

Our pavilion was on top and was mostly empty when we got there.  I saw one co-worker, who was there before us.  There wasn’t any food available at the time.  We did have access to the club next door.  There was food there, but we weren’t sure if it was available to us.  In any case, you couldn’t really see the field well from the club and there was glare on the windows.  It might be better after the sun goes down.  We went back outside. 

 

The field looked in good shape, which you can see well from the outfield seats.  There’s been lots of rain in the area lately.  The field has taken a beating from hosting soccer matches.  Ron pointed out a nice WWII memorial behind the stadium featuring large-scale statues of soldiers in action.  Strangely, the nearest TV monitor to our seats showing It’s a Wonderful Life on a sports channel.  Later, it switched to Dodgers and Angels.  Our game was on another monitor further away, which I couldn’t see until the sun went down.   

 

After the game started, suddenly, the pavilion was full of co-workers.  One of them as a new one, Melika Ofoia.  She was the catcher for the Aggie Softball team this season and had graduated.  I felt a bit bad that I had given up on the team this year.  She showed me her championship ring from last season and it was impressive.  (And I felt worse in that I didn’t even realize they’d won it until I noticed the new wall banner at the start of the season.)   

 

Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment