Monday, April 28, 2014

Sports Journal 4-27-14

Baseball:
I hate to start this by backtracking to last week.  During the Chihuahua’s game last Sunday, Tim mentioned that the Isotopes were having an interesting game in Salt Lake City Bees.  Specifically, they scored 11 runs in the first inning.  Listening to updates, I felt compelled to get the final score.  Albuquerque ended up winning by two runs, 13 to 11.  Feel bad for anybody who left early. 

I was able to listen to some of the day game on Tuesday.  The dogs were in Las Vegas playing the 51’s.  They’re named after Area 51.  Their mascot is an alien named Cosmo.  Talk about giving “Chihuahuas” a run for their money in dumb naming.  It was windy there that day, mostly from the swinging bats of the players, to the tune of 21 to 9, 51’s winning.  I let my dad know about the day game, and he was able to listen to whole thing.  He liked Tim Hagerty’s call a lot.  I suspect Tim has won over a lot of listeners.  Dad also told me that he kept listening to game just to see how many runs were going to get scored.  I’m chalking up these blowouts to the extended road trip.  At least Jeff Francoeur got the opportunity to keep his 0.00 ERA going and added a strikeout.

During the week, some guy named Al hit his 500th home run.  I remember him.  I thought this guy retired?  He seemed to disappear off the face of the earth a couple of years ago for some reason.  Yankees pitcher Michael Pineda finally got a few days off, though it took him a second attempt to finally get caught for pinetar usage.  It was only slightly less blatant than Bond’s steroid usage.  I got to listen to several great, close Ranger games this week.  I’ve been enjoying radio coverage a lot this year, because whenever I watch baseball on TV all they talk about is THE SHIFT, THE SHIFT, and THE SHIFT.  Let me tell you, I’m sick of this shift!  Okay, they’re shifting.  I get it.  We all get it.  Move on.  Shift topics.  

Sunday the Chihuahuas were playing the Sacramento River Cats.  Now there’s a minor league team name!  You know, names like the Mountain Sharks, or the Desert Grasshoppers, or the Flying Rhinos, or the Surfing Bears!  (I just made those up, but I can see it now.  A guy in a bear suit, wearing a pair of jams, named “Cowabunga.”)  The dogs started the ill-named Billy Buckner in his first appearance for the team.  He did well and nothing rolled between his legs.  The River Cats had Phil Humber pitching for them late in the game.



That Phil Humber.  The last I saw him, he was with the Astros.  I’ve taken some potshots at Humber (in some other posts), but the guy did pitch a perfect game. Unlike every other perfect game, I got to see this one happen live. (Almost got to hear another on the radio with Yu Darvish.) I’ve never been more nervous in my life watching a baseball game. Every pitch was life or death/End of the World stuff. That was really a thrill.  The box score was actually clipped from the newspaper the next day and is in a shoe box in my apartment.

I’m sure Tim talked about Humber (and it’s pronounced “Umber,” by the way), but I didn’t hear it.  Unfortunately, in what will be an ongoing scheduling issue on Sundays, the NMSU Aggie baseball team and the Rangers were also playing.  I started flipping back and forth and basically couldn’t follow any of the action.  When will I learn?  The Aggies lost badly again.  The Rangers had the lead late, but lost.  The dogs had the lead late, nearly lost it, but managed to hold on 6-5.

Okay, here we go for Monday and the big debut.  Tim was asking about the weather and which way the wind will be blowing at the new stadium.  He said that many of the dogs had never been to El Paso, so this will be a homecoming and an introduction.  Some fans wanted to know when the team would be arriving so they could greet them.  For the Sun Bowl, both teams usually get a Mariachi band and Folklorico dancers, but it’s going to probably going to be a little too late for that to happen here.  It’ll happen during the day’s events.  KROD will be during their local sports talk from the stadium.  At least one TV station will be doing their newscasts from there.  I fully intend on listening.  Everyone was in high spirits for this adventure.  (Cue ominous music.)     

NASCAR:
I don’t really get those Sprint “Framily” commercials.  They’re weird.  I don’t understand them.  However, that Jeff Gordon with the gerbil commercial was hysterical.  Jeff has perhaps done enough media that he can now “act.”  If that’s the case, I demand to see him in more clever commercials like this.

Oh, the race itself?  Pshaw!  Don’t be an old fuddy-duddy NASCAR fan, demanding to see a “race.”  The enjoyment of the broadcast is in the “experience.”  It’s not just cars driving fast and turning left.  In fact, it’s not even totally essential to the broadcast.  The sponsorship is just as entertaining as any “race.”  So, I’ll just be commentating on the commercials from on now on.

 Okay, in spite of being assured in the pre-race that tires would not be an issue here, tires were the issue at Richmond.  Tires blew and caught on fire.  The closing laps were exciting as multiple drivers battled hard.  Joey Logano would win his second race of the year.  Tempers flared on track.  There would be on track, post-race retaliation and a fight in the pits. 

Seems like we’ve checked all the boxes on great NASCAR race, except for a large multi-car wreck, which we’ll be doing next week at Talledega.  You’ll get to see it on replay, after the commercial break is over.  NASCAR has finally found a way to keep races interesting and unpredictable, exploding Goodyears.  The best races so far this season have mostly involved “Darlington-esqe” tire issues adding drama to every lap.  You have to admit, it’s an equalizer.      

Hockey:
I’ve been enjoying the Saturday afternoon hockey, though when baseball was on the radio on Sunday, I had trouble paying attention to the two hockey games that were on.  So, hockey hasn’t replaced baseball with me.  One thing that did fatigue my viewing this weekend was that all three games were exactly the same match ups as last weekend.  If any of these series had ended during the week, I wonder if they would have shown a different series or nothing at all?  I wonder if it would have completely depended upon who else was playing?

Random Notes:
There were two NFL draft shows on two different networks on Saturday (that I know of).  During the NASCAR pre-race, they had the drivers promoting the NFL.  RG III was there on a pitbox during the race.  Is there really enough significant betting action on the draft to merit this kind of attention?  I can’t believe anybody would really care about this unless they had money riding on it.       


There was a motocross race on Sunday that was held in the NFL stadium in New Jersey (nobody pays me to mention the stadium sponsor).  I didn’t watch it (which was likely yet another poor viewing choice on my part), but it looked like a full house.  Other races I’ve seen were similarly packed.  Just an observation.

Oh, and I’ve figured out this Donald Sterling thing in the NBA.  Let’s see, this guy has been well known for his “colorful” opinions on people for quite a long time.  His soon to be estranged girlfriend was recording their conversation where she was goading him into clearly stating his opinions.  This was after she seen hanging out with Magic Johnson, who is part of owner of the Dodgers.  I’ll let you connect the dots, but don’t be surprised if we all see Magic being announced as the next owner of the Clippers in the near future.  His arm will be in a sling at the time from an injury sustained from patting himself on the back too hard.   

Oh, lookee here!  Just to confirm my theory.



No comments:

Post a Comment