Monday, April 7, 2014

The El Paso Chi… Chi… (gurgle) Report

Cry havoc and let slip the little dogs of baseball!  Fear the mighty Chi… Chi… Oh, get over it and spit out.  The era of the El Paso Chihuahua’s Triple A baseball team is a go.  As we await the inevitable name change that will happen as soon as attendance starts to dip in the coming years.  (And get ready to listen to all media people who defended and spun out excuses for the team, to suddenly completely change their minds about the name.)  Do you think I might be a little cynical given the way the Diablos left and how this team was brought here

600 AM KROD is running a promotion for the team’s first “home” game.  That’s in quotes because the game won’t be in El Paso since the stadium isn’t ready.  Lucky winning fans will be able to meet the team before the game.  I can see that now.

Fan: “How’s it feel to be a Chihuahua?”

Player: “It sucks, man.  When I was kid I dreamed about being a professional baseball player.  I worked hard in Little League and in school.  I got a scholarship.  Worked harder.  Made it into the minor leagues.  Worked even harder and now I’m a freaking Chihuahua.  I’m wearing a snarling little dog on my uniform.  I don’t even want to make it to the Show now, the other big leaguers will make fun of me.  I wanna stick my head in an oven.”

Maybe there’s a Cuban defector on the team.

Player (in Spanish): “I suffered through many hardships to come to America.  I dreamed of freedom and being able to make a living playing the game I loved.  Now, I’m a Chihuahua.  I want to go home.”

Have I finally gotten it out of my system yet? 

One more comment.  People who own Chihuahuas didn’t really want a dog, they just wanted a cat with a little more brains and loyalty. 

Okay, now I’m done.

Regardless of my misgivings about the name and the way the team was brought to town, of course I’ve listened to whatever games I could.  It’s baseball!  While my over-the-air reception of KROD in Las Cruces after dark is nearly nil, fortunately, I was able to listen over the Internet while at work.  The voice of the Chihuahuas features the pleasant, friendly tones of Tim Hagerty.  Certainly Tim has the main characteristic that it will take to be successful in this position: he can say “Chihuahuas” without any hesitation or embarrassment.  No, really, that is a big deal.  It allows me, as a baseball fan, to at least enjoy the game, and save my cringing for whenever the team is mentioned outside of the games.     

Tim is nice enough that I find myself immediately gravitating to a first name basis.  He’s done a good job of not just calling the action, but also setting the scene and telling some stories surrounding the game.  My favorite moment so far has been his description of the cold in Reno.  Tim asked for forgiveness from the fans for wearing a sock hat from the other team so he could keep warm.  Runner up would be the related story of opposing manager having to buy tickets for everyone who showed up to the game because he had guaranteed it would be warmer. 

I keep mentally saying, “Diablos,” whenever I’m thinking about the team in a positive context, and saying “Chihuahuas” whenever it’s negative.  Comparisons are inevitable.  While Tim is doing a good job, I do miss the two-man booth from the old Diablo days.  I used to love the banter between Matt Hicks, now working for the Rangers, and his co-broadcasters.  I still laugh whenever I think of the time he and Brett Pollack, after a couple of irritating days in Shreveport, Louisiana, cut loose for a couple innings.  They criticized the franchise there, then went around the league, going at the rest of the teams, finally laying the bundle at the Texas League’s offices.  I seriously wondered if they’d be on again the next day.    

I was also surprised by the pre-game show.  Namely, it was about two minutes long and finished with, “And here’s the first pitch.”  The Diablos had like a full sponsored half-hour general sports talk/call-in show and a 15-minute pre-game, all before the first pitch.  They were on a different El Paso station and that was awhile ago.  The dogs may have a different relationship with KROD.  But still, the Diablos were a Double A club.  I was expecting a bit more with a Triple A club. 

KROD has a lot more broadcasting obligations than the other station.  I’m surprised they’re even agreeing to broadcast weekday afternoon baseball.  I’m wondering what happens the first time there’s a conflict with an ESPN NBA playoff game or a Cowboys pre-season game.  (I haven’t seen their schedule.  It may not be an issue.)  I already know that they’ve canceled ESPN baseball games, even when there isn’t a conflict.  (Given how they were putting their commercials on auto-pilot and constantly interrupting the games with them, maybe that’s not much of a loss.)

On to the games themselves.  I was sorry I didn’t have a scorecard and have the time to fill it out while listening to that first game.  I always like to do a scorecard at the beginning of the season to fool myself into thinking that I actually know how to fill out one.  The dogs’ opponents were the Reno Aces, they affiliated with the Diamondbacks.  Spring is only a rumor in Reno right now.  Weather may have been affecting the crowds there.  The second game of the series, where the dogs’ batting practice was cut short by snowfall, was played quickly enough to remind one of a late season August game on a getaway day. 

Unlike Diablos games, where I would only recognize the names of players after they had gone on to bigger and better things, I actually knew a few of the players on the teams, Didi Gregorius, Jeff Francoeur, and Cody Ross, a sparkplug that helped ignite the San Francisco Giants to a World Series title.  Unfortunately, much like the old Diablo games, I didn’t get to listen to the end of them.  Back then, it was because the station would power down after sundown.  Last week, it was because I left work when I was done and didn’t get to hear the end.  Oh, well.  Some things never change. 

On Sunday, I had the reverse problem.  I missed the beginning of the coverage to listen to the Ranger game.  Yu Darvish looked good coming back from injury as the Rangers beat the Rays, 3-0.  I joined the Chihuahuas in progress.  Unfortunately, the dogs never showed up and got clobbered 9-1.  From listening to the NMSU Aggie baseball team getting blown out regularly this season, I’m starting to get used to it, but I think the dogs will bounce back, as they split the series with the Aces (who at least come away with a better team name).  I don’t know if there was a pre-game (there was a live remote at a sports event in El Paso before the game), but there was something of a post-game where a recap and other baseball scores were given.  No interviews or anything else however. 

My main question about the broadcasts are this: Dick Enberg, who broadcasts Padre games and who are the dogs’ parent club (pardon the pun), does a little bumper promo during the game that finishes with, “Oh, my!”  Is he doing a George Takei impression?  And if not, does he know that he’s doing a George Takei impression? 


Any future posts about the team will hopefully not involve talking about their name and will focus more on the game, the call, and the players as we all get to know each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment