Thursday, June 27, 2013

Artifacts: Motherboard




I’m not sure if I got the idea before or after watching Tron, but I had this notion to make up an RPG based on life inside of a computer. This was during high school, so frankly I don’t remember the exact origin. The setting revolved around transporting data from the outside to the Nucleus, where it was carefully processed, and then transported out. All the while the data had to be guarded and kept secure.

The map is labeled, starting at the 12:00 position and moving clockwise, we have an Input Wire, Access, an Output Wire, Junction, Ring City, Binary, Matrix, Cluster, Dead Zone, Melt-Town, and Nucleus in the center. Buffer stations are located at the end of each wire.  The red areas that some towns have are high-glitch rate fields.

There were three types of beings (character classes) living on the Motherboard. There were the Electronians: small, speedy data bit couriers, who had an electric charge. There were the Protonians: large, security personnel, with gravitational powers. And finally, there were the Neutronians: large, data manipulators, with mental powers. They lived in Data Stores (cities) and sometimes held data for later sale there. There were even recreational activities, such as Electronian racing, Protonian wrestling, and Neutronian chess.

I don’t actually still have any of the notes, just the map. What I can remember is that most of the material involved how the data trading market worked. Little wonder I didn’t develop this further. I remember writing a little bit of fan-fiction to go with it, probably trying to figure out how any adventuring happened in the setting. It starred a little Electronian, trying to make his way in the world. There were natural hazards on the board, like random warp zones, and plenty of dangerous, unscrupulous competition for the data.

All in all, I think I’d rather have a Tron RPG.

I found my old notes.
Fan Fiction 1, Fan Fiction 2, Definitions, RPG Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment