Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Sports Journal 6-30-13


After all those sports blogs last week, I decided to take the week off on writing and just sit back and enjoy. Here’s a few scattered impressions.

"I love baseball. I love talking about baseball and reading about baseball. But, I don’t watch the games. I might watch a key at bat here and there, or a couple of innings with a great pitcher, but watch a full nine innings? Please.” Colin Cowherd, ESPN Radio. From who else and from where else could you get such tremendous sports commentary?

Moving on.

On Thursday, I got to hear the entirety of the Ranger-Yankee matinee and Derek Holland throwing a 9-inning shutout. Even more shocking, the reason I got to hear all of it before I went to work was because it was a two and half hour game. No, really. A Yankee game in Yankee stadium that didn’t go over three and half hours. I’m half convinced their lineup took the day off and the Rangers were just playing against nine guys wearing Yankee jerseys from the stands.

I’d heard about the White Sox dropping a double header to the Indians on Friday and that the first game went 19-10. On Saturday, I got gory details on their broadcast. The two games went nearly eight hours total, an MLB record for a non-extra inning double header. Hawk and Stone did praise the ump for that first game, not just for his durability, but for actually getting the calls right, too.

Hey, join us at the ballpark this week. Tickets start at $7. $1 hot dogs and other reduced food prices. Extended fireworks show on the 3rd and a parade before the game on the 4th. Bring the family. Oh, and watch the White Sox lose like they did again to the Indians on Saturday. (Actually that’s a heck of a deal, and they’ve got some great food items there. I actually wish I was on the South Side this week.)

Meanwhile, did you hear about the All-Star game? It’s on Fox, errr, sometime in July. I really should know the date off the top of my head, given that they were promoting it during the Fox game of the week broadcast EVERY FRICKING INNING! After sitting through that relentless barrage of company advertising, it would have been nice to have seen the Rangers win in extra innings versus the Reds. I have to blame some bullpen mismanagement on that loss.

Late Saturday on sportstalk radio, I did get this great nugget of trivia on records that won’t be broken. Apparently in like 1913 an entire game was played with one ball. No foul balls. No home runs. No throwing the ball out if it’s been hit or scuffed. Almost impossible to believe.

For the last time this season, I got up early Sunday and caught the F1 British GP at Silverstone on Unimas. I’m still hoping to see Jenson Button win it someday for the home crowd. The commentators were excitedly chattering away about having a Mexican Gran Prix someday and seeing Sergio Perez win it. Instead they had to content themselves with watching him retire early again.

The race ended pretty quick with Nico Rosberg being gifted a victory. We got some extended coverage of parc ferme. Nico, Mark Weber, and Fernando Alonso walked up the steps to the podium and were applauded by line of what looked liked stewardesses from the race sponsor. They went into a waiting room, took off their helmets, toweled off, and had some water. The guys congratulated one another as professionals and chit-chatted with each other about the race while they waited for the ceremony. I was almost uncomfortable watching this private affair, though there was nothing scandalous going. Just the guys talking shop. It was bit like eavesdropping. A little peak behind the curtain.

Please, please consider coming out to see the White Sox this week. Hawk and Stone were just about pleading with audience during the Sunday broadcast. (I’d go if I could guys!) After all, you might see something special, like the Indians sweep a four-game series in Chicago for the first time ever. Seriously, in over 100 years, that’s never happened?

Joe Nathan is being seriously overused in Texas and this may have consequences later in the season. Hey, but for now, the Rangers beat the Reds with Nathan locking it down in the 9th.

The Dodger game I got to hear right afterward featured a seriously pumped up Charley Steiner, and why not? After the ass-kicking the Philies delivered on Friday, the two Dodger victories this weekend felt good. Sunday featured the debut of Jose Dominguez, a 100+ mph reliever. The crowd went wild watching him and even the opposing team was on the railing watching him and the speed gun readings. Oh and Puig? Simply a 4 for 5 day, a home run away from hitting for the cycle. He’s had some dicey plays in the field lately, but who cares? He’s gotten a hit like 44 times in his first 100 major league at bats. Apparently, that’s even more impressive than Pete Rose’s epic rookie numbers.

And this was way more than I meant to write, especially given that I hadn’t meant to write anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment