Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Baseball Journal April 28-30, 2018

4-28-18
While waiting to go to Aggie Softball I tuned into the Cubs versus the Brewers on FOX.  No, wait.  I’m sorry.  It was on a Mexican station.  Fox was showing a NASCAR Xfinity race that was called by a bunch of Cup drivers.  Well, it’s a step up from NFL Draft crap and German league soccer.  It was a cold, windy day in Chicago, but under a bright, sunny sky.  These conditions made for an adventurous afternoon in terms of fly balls.  While I was watching, I saw a fly ball drop in between three Brewer fielders, once in the outfield and once in the infield. 

Lorenzo Cain is definitely not a bad fielder; it was just very trying conditions out there.  He made a great basket catch later.  Ryan Braun at first also made an overhand catch on a foul.  Wow, Kyle Schwarber looked nearly unrecognizably thinner when he came up to bat.  I think he’s playing better.  I didn’t see the end of the game, but the Cubs won 3-0

After I got back home after the softball, I caught up with the Chihuahuas playing the Bees.  As if I didn’t feel bad enough about missing last night’s game, I found out that it had been a home run fest for both teams.  This game was a lot tighter.  It was 1-0 pups in the sixth.  The Bees tied it in the top.  The Chihuahuas scored one in the bottom, but the bees matched it in the seventh.  Finally in the eighth, Diego Goris put the pups up for good with a three-run homer.  The final was 7-2 Chihuahuas with a light rain falling.  There was a huge crowd there for fireworks, which went off without any trouble. 

I watched the local TV sports news hoping to see something about the softball game.  (That didn’t happen until Sunday night.)  I found out I missed a great boxing match broadcast nationally from El Paso.  Local fighter, Abie Han was in an undercard fight.  His sister Jennifer Han, also a boxer, was there.  Boy, she’s good-looking, especially for someone who gets hit in the face for a living.  Abie was overmatched, but really gave it everything.  At one point, both boxers were on the canvas MMA wrestling.  He apologized after the match for losing.  The sportscaster came on and said, “There was no need to apologize, Abie.  That was one of the best fights I’ve ever seen.”  Surprisingly, my boxing expert friend at work (well, actually the expert is his girlfriend) was watching, but didn’t know about this match, so it might not have been shown since it was an undercard.
     
4-29-18
I spent most of Sunday trying to stay awake.  Even last night after Aggie Softball, I was a bit knocked out.  I listened to four games over the radio, but really wasn’t entirely into any of them.  The most interesting event I saw on TV was a polo match.  If I’d gotten the station number right and tuned in at the beginning, I’d probably have written a separate piece about it.  What I saw was of it was still quite a spectacle.  It was fast and dangerous.  (One of the riders got bloodied taking a mallet to the head.)  The crowd was glamorous like a Kentucky Derby, even more upscale.  Even the commercials were impressive.

The Rangers played the Blue Jays in the morning.  It was over pretty quick (for an American League game) with a 7-2 Jays win.  It didn’t seem like the Rangers’ day, so I switched over to another game before the end.  I tuned back and heard the broadcasters’ roundtable.  The highlight clip was Matt Hicks saying, “I noticed an extra police presence in the Rangers’ dugout looking for that stolen out.”  The other guys groaned.  Matt apologized.  Eric Nadel said that was the worst game clip ever.   

The Aggies and Chihuahuas started their games at the same time in the afternoon.  I decided to go with the Aggies mostly.  They were in Phoenix playing Grand Canyon University.  The Lopes got two runs in the first.  Mason Fishback hit a homer in the second.  A huge cheer went up from the crowd.  Adam Young, broadcasting, thought that the crowd was about 50/50 for each team.  I think I could hear Marcus Still’s dad cheering. 

Adam sounded pretty upbeat during the game.  Maybe it was the pleasant weather there.  In the bottom of the second, a batter’s interference call was part of an inning-ending double play.  Even hearing it explained twice, I still didn’t entirely get what happened.  I liked some of the Lopes’ walk up music.  One of them used Ain’t No Mountain High Enough.  By the fourth, it was 3-1 GCU.  Tristen Carranza got into an argument with the ump over balls and strikes.  Adam had a disagreement with the official scorer over not giving Nick Gonzales an error on a play. 

I definitely figured out it wasn’t the Aggies’ day in the fifth, when Alex Pinedo threw the first pitch of an intentional walk to the backstop, allowing a runner at third to score.  Joey Ortiz at short did make a great play behind the mound lying on his stomach to get the final out of the inning, but it was 5-1 GCU at that point.  Brock Whittlesey came in for the sixth with two on, but gave up a double to make it 7-1.  Caleb Henderson got a two-run homer in the ninth, but it was an 8-4 loss to GCU

It wasn’t the Chihuahuas’ day either.  Allen Craig was back in the lineup and hit a homer, but the Bees got up a good lead during the game.  In the ninth, the pups made a comeback, but the bases were left loaded with the final out.  6-4 Bees was the final.  

The ESPN Radio Sunday night game was the Yankees versus the Angels.  I don’t like either team, but listened anyway.  They interviewed Albert Pujols during the pregame.  Well, I admit, he said all the right things when asked about hitting, and Mike Trout, and Shohei Ohtani, and I think he meant them.  Hmm, still haven’t changed my mind about him yet.  The Yankees won 2-1 off a two-run homer by Gary Sanchez.  It was also a series sweep for the pinstripes. 

4-30-18
Strangely, for what is usually my busiest night (month end), I was able to listen to a couple of games, albeit in an unsatisfying fashion.  I joined the Chihuahuas and Aces in progress with the Aces up 4-0.  This is Cody Decker’s current team, so Tim Hagerty chatted about him a bit.  By the third, it was 6-0 after a home run by Anthony Recker, who I remember watching playing for the Cubs. 

At this point, I switched over to the MLB.TV free game between the Giants and the Padres.  Once again, the video was blacked out.  We do not get Padres’ games here locally.  I don’t understand this.  As much as I would actually like to subscribe to the website, if my circumstances were a bit different, how can I, if they’re blocking video of at least five different teams.  Two of those teams are my favorites and neither are broadcast on local television.  And I don’t think they stream the playoffs either.

However, in this case, I was okay with losing the TV, since they put up the Giants’ radio call with the “butterscotch” tones of Jon Miller doing the play-by-play.  It’s like having your favorite grandpa telling you about the game.  He even makes the sponsorship spots sound poetic.  The game was almost irrelevant, since I’d be willing to listen to Miller tell me about player contract negotiations in excruciating detail and probably enjoy it, but the game started off well for the Giants.  Andrew McCuthen tripled in a run in the first with Buster Posey bringing him in with a double.  It was 3-0 Giants after one.

I glanced back at the Chihuahuas score and, of course, they’d scored 6 runs in the fifth to tie it.  I paused the Giants and put the pups back on.  I was just in time to hear the Aces retake the lead 7-6, but they left the bases loaded with Recker up next.  By the eighth, it was 8-6 Aces. The Chihuahuas had their chances in that inning with two on.  In the ninth, they’d loaded the bases via three walks with two out.  The Reno coach went out and made a mound visit.  The team was apparently low on pitchers for this series and had to extend everyone.  It was a good talk.  The pitcher struck out the final El Paso batter for an 8-6 Aces’ win.

I went back to the Giants game and un-paused it.  Surprisingly, it picked up where I left off.  I think I’m used to Twitch pausing, where it resumes with the live feed.  Unfortunately, when I went to pause the stream again later, I saw the score and thought the game was over with a Padres’ win and started watching something else that was live (namely DizzyKitten on Twitch doing ASMR).  The game was not actually over.  That wasn’t the final score.  When I went back to it, I saw that the Giants had scored three in the ninth off Brad Hand to win it 6-5.  It was about time for me to leave work, so I skipped ahead to listen to the winning run being scored.  So, tonight was kind of a mixed bag of listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment