Tuesday, May 29, 2018

WAC Softball Tournament 2018 Game 10 NM State vs GCU



I had an uncomfortable night sleeping.  I was worried about two things, really nervous.  First, today’s championship matchup between the Aggies and the Lopes seemed pretty even.  The Aggies had taken the easy way to the last day and done so impressively.  Grand Canyon took the long way and showed no sign of fatigue.  Both teams had pitching that was “good enough,” but not dominant.  It seemed like one or both of them might be set up to collapse today. 

The other thing was personal.  I felt like I had gotten along with the beautiful ticket girl well enough that I thought I should try and ask her out.  I was pretty sure she’d at least see this coming, but I wasn’t sure what her response would be.  Yes, I know.  I’ve waxed poetic about “The WAC Girl” (Game 8) and about Utah Valley player, Basia Query (Game 2 and others), but this was actually serious.  Both of these women are very attractive, but given a legitimate choice between all three (a situation which seems very unlikely until I am made king), I’d pick the ticket girl.

With a 1:00pm start, I had all morning to stew on these two issues.  I put on my Aggie Football, “Made History,” t-shirt in hopes of inspiring the girls on field.  I took care of the personal issue right when I came in the stadium.  The ticket girl was still out in the souvenir tent, selling tournament t-shirts.  I asked her about going to dinner after the game or going to see the new Avengers movie sometime.  She was noncommittal, but told me to come back after the game.  Well, I’d have to focus on the game now.

It was a full house.  A chatter and buzz filled the stadium for the whole game.  I found Danny in the center grandstand and sat with him.  He was a bit withdrawn and pessimistic during the game.  He did report second-hand that the Aggie girls were pretty confident going into the game. 

Also in the crowd were Women’s Basketball coach Brooke Atkinson, who has come by enough to qualify as a supporter.  She walked fairly close by.  I wanted to say “Hi,” but crowd noise was too loud.  (I also didn't want to leap out in front of her, since she doesn’t know me.)  I saw Volleyball Coach Mike Jordan there at the end of the game.  He must like the softball girls.  I think he’s secretly planning on luring Kayla Green away from the team, in retaliation for Coach Rodolph trying to take Lia Mosher away from him.  I don’t remember seeing Lia at the game, but I’ll bet she was there, or really wanted to be there.    

Some of the girls' parents were up in the grandstand under a tent.  Kelsey Horton's mom was there waving a posterboard of her awesome daughter.  I assume she's fully recovered from her cancer.  The Seattle U Redhawks team came in to watch the championship as well.  Some of the other teams in the field came in later.  On field, Coach Kathy Rodolph was super casual in a t-shirt and shorts.  Pan-Am PA Ed was doing the announcing for this game.   There were kids out for this game, who shagged the foul balls.

Most interestingly in the crowd was a surprise appearance by Aggie sports power couple, Jordan Abalos and Dalton Herrington (representing volleyball and football respectively).  Given that they're both seniors, and I know Jordan already graduated, I didn't think they'd still be around campus.  Jordan was dressed for graduation in some lovely evening wear.  My heart absolutely sank watching her.  She had a noticeable hitch in her step and could barely negotiate the stairs.  When I'd asked her about her injuries while getting her autograph a couple of years ago, Jordan said she'd have problems the rest of her life.  I didn't imagine she'd be hurting this soon.


Here we go.  Four days and nine games and it comes down to this.  The girls, especially Grand Canyon, must be exhausted.  I know I am and I was just watching.  But right here and right now, nobody's tired.  Everybody wants to see how this is going to turn out.

Kayla Green started again for the Aggies.  She caught a liner to start the game, but gave up a pair of hits.  Sierra Smith would double in a run to give the Lopes a 1-0 lead.  Brianna Aguilar started for Grand Canyon.  She hit Rachel Rodriguez to lead off.  She got moved to third by a Kelsey Horton double.  Nikki Butler was also hit to load the bases.  Victoria Castro, who's had a bit of a rough tournament hitting, made a surprise bunt.  This drove in Rachel to tie the score at 1.

Kayla gave up a leadoff hit to start the second, but no further damage.  A local weekend sports guy that I usually watch, Eric O'Brien, came in in the bottom.  He's a handsome fellow on TV.  In person, he's even more so.  I'd be swooning if I were a woman.  Caity Szczesny and Rachel both walked with one out to bring up Kelsey.

Eric scrambled to get his camera up and on when she was announced.  He knew who she was and what could happen.  This time, Kelsey singled to left and Caity sped home.  There might have been a play at the plate, but the left fielder didn't throw it in.  Fahren Glackin singled next to load the bases.  Nikki then came up and hammered a deep single.  Rachel and Kelsey scored.  Nikki got hung up between first and second, but she'd done her job.  4-1 Aggies.

I'd left my umbrella at home, since I was expecting wind and a crowd.  I was also really hoping this wouldn't go to an eleventh game.  If the Aggies lost this one, they’d have to play again so that one of the teams would end up with two losses.  I wasn't prepared to be out in the sun that long.  I did bring a towel that I used to cover my face and neck.  The wind blew the towel around enough that it was almost as much trouble as an umbrella.  At this time, the wind picked up and began swirling.

The top of the third started with three straight hits.  Nikki did pick off the first batter.  I think she wanted that one after not being able to get a runner on an infield hit earlier.  Coach Kathy had seen enough though and pulled Kayla for Samaria Diaz.  Hot-hitting Sierra didn't care who was pitching and cranked a three-run homer to tie the game at 4.  (Eric got that one on tape.  I saw it later on the news report.)  

Sam walked the next batter.  Rachel had the Aggies' first error of the tournament to put another runner on.   Disaster was in the making, but the next batter made the mistake of hitting it to sure-handed Jeanelle Medina.  She caught a liner and doubled off the runner at second to end the inning.  The bottom of the Aggie order went down in order to end the third.

Eric tossed some little souvenir balls into the crowd and packed up and left.  It's too bad.  There were definitely more highlights to come.  Sam had a quick fourth.  In the bottom, Rachel got on again; this time with a single.  Her main job was to get on ahead of Kelsey.  It'd been a game and a half, and Kelsey was due for a home run, which she cashed in on in ballistic fashion.  Rounding the bases, Ed announced that Kelsey had just set the Aggie season record for home runs at 25.  (By the end of the tournament, Kelsey also led nation in home runs.  She's so awesome.) 

Fahren walked next, also being an on-base machine.  Destiny Blueford pinch ran for her.  Nikki singled and Brandy Hernandez pinch ran for her.  Tori singled Destiny in, who just got in thanks to her speed.  Shelby Shultes pinch hit.  She struckout, but the catcher had to throw her out at first after dropping the ball, which advanced the runners.  On a wild pitch, Brandy just made it home under the tag.  It was a great run, though I was afraid her minute form wouldn't reach the plate first.  8-4 Aggies.

Sam started off the fifth with a single and a hit batter.  With Sierra again coming up with two on, Coach Kathy put in Mikayla Bongi.  She had not been used much during the season, so this was a bit of a surprise in such a tense situation.  Mikayla gave up a double to Sierra, which scored a run.  Bianca Boling came up and hit a dying liner to left.  Amy Bergeson dove for it and got the catch, saving two runs for the moment. 

Mikayla was left in and the coach seemed to be playing with fire, given that she had more experienced pitchers available.  A sacrifice and a single did bring in two more runs before a groundout ended the inning.  Three runs scored and it was now 8-7 Aggies, but Mikayla had gotten three outs.

Rachel got on yet again in the bottom of the fifth, via a fielder's choice, after Brianna had come out of the game.  Though there were two out, Kelsey was walked.  Fahren made the Lopes pay anyway with a run-scoring double.  9-7 Aggies, but no lead felt safe today.  The regular softball PA came on in the sixth, not to announce, but to sing.  He belted out Happy between innings and did a great job.  Ed introduced him, but I missed his name.

For the sixth, Analise de la Roca came in to pitch for the Aggies.  I wasn't sure if Coach Kathy was keeping her in reserve or reluctant to use her.  Analise had gotten roughed up the last time she was used against Grand Canyon late in a game, which cost the Aggies that win (4-13-18).  Regardless, the coach was emptying her clip and wanted to win now.  If this went to an eleventh game, I don't think I'd like the Aggies' chances. 

Analise gave up a lead off hit, but that was all for the inning.  In the bottom, Kennedy Johnson singled and Jeanelle walked behind her, but neither scored.  Analise was back out for the seventh.  Sierra led off and grounded out to Fahren at first.  Bianca flied out to Tori in center.  Finally, Shea Smith also grounded out to Fahren.  Aggies win 9-7 and their second WAC tournament in a row!     


I was totally okay with a non-dramatic ending.  I'd had plenty of softball this week and just wanted an Aggie win.  Neither team really collapsed like I thought they would.  The Aggies did come close to getting a blowout, as they left 9 runners on base.  This was a championship game between two equals. 

I was really impressed with Grand Canyon's 4-2 performance in the tournament.  They played in 6 of the tournament’s 10 games, but playing the Aggies twice was what did them in.  The Aggies simply took care of business, going 3-0.  I don't know what's keeping Coach Kathy Rodolph from taking any of the much more lucrative offers she must be getting, but these championships wouldn't be happening without her.  Please stay!

For the game, my GCU gameballs go to Loriann Olson for going 3 for 4 with 3 runs, and Sierra Smith for going 3 for 4 with 5 RBI's and a home run.  For the Aggies, Analise de la Roca had a great two-inning save.  Rachel Rodriguez reached base 4 times in 4 plate appearances and scored on all of them.  But the day and all our admiration goes to Kelsey Horton.  She went 3 for 3 with 3 RBI's and a home run.  What can you say?  Typical Kelsey.
   
Danny left right after the win.  I barely got to say “Goodbye” to him.  I wanted to go to see the ticket girl, but had to see the post-tournament awards first.  I'd also get to see the WAC Girl one more time.  The All-Tournament team included Olivia Fluehr from UMKC, who I could have seen winning the MVP if her team had won the championship.  Cute little Kaylee Bott from Utah was also recognized.

GCU got four players on the team: Brianna Aguilar, Bianca Boling, Kendsey Hill, and Sierra Smith, who was a definite MVP candidate.  For the Aggies, Nikki Butler, Kennedy Johnson, and Rachel Rodriguez made the team.  The tournament MVP was a no-doubter in Kelsey Horton.  She went 7 for 11 (over .600) and drove in 9 runs including 3 home runs.  She's still a junior.  We still have another year to fawn over her greatness.  I keep hoping for the opportunity to talk to her for a minute, but I may be too overawed at this point to do so if I could.    

Back at the t-shirt tent, the ticket girl was still there.  She was not able to go for dinner, but we did exchange numbers.  I called and left a message the next week, but didn't hear back.  This was my biggest disappointment of the tournament without a doubt.  We hope this still might work out.  While I was at the tent, AD Mario Moccia walked nearby and I think he waved at me.  I didn't see anyone else around.  I'm sort of puzzled if he did, but awesome year, Mario.  You're doing a great job for New Mexico State sports. 

This tournament recap almost went 40 pages.  Perhaps more than the heat, I dreaded the prospect of writing all this up.  Thankfully, at least the first seven games were fairly effortless.  The last three, not so much.  The catch-up I've been doing at work has probably worn me out more than the recaps, not to mention some rejection depression. 

I don't think I can sum all this up in a few sentences even if I was coming at this fresh. I had a great time at the tournament.  All the girls really played hard and with passion and emotion.  I fruitlessly wish that the facilities at the softball complex were more comfortable.  I'm really glad I still had a couple more days of vacation to recover afterward.  There's no telling the future, but I really hope to continue being able to go out the softball park.  If the tournament's here again next year, I don't think I'll be able to resist.   

No comments:

Post a Comment