Wednesday, May 23, 2018

WAC Softball Tournament 2018 Game 6 CSU-Bakersfield vs Utah Valley



Danny and I retreated to his car during the intermission to sit in some air conditioning.  The sun was going down, so it would be getting cooler shortly.  We were sitting directly across from the practice field.  The Wolverines were there.  I got to watch my favorite, their catcher Basia Query, take batting practice off a tee.  I was really impressed watching the coach work with the girls there.  I couldn’t hear what they were saying, but he seemed very calm and patient with them.

On the flip side of the coin, the Seattle U coach came by and talked to the Utah Valley coach.  Oh, boy.  Yeah, he was still angry about what had happened in his last game.  (I wasn’t really pleased either.  The umps were probably right, but performed badly.)  The Redhawk coach then accosted someone walking across the parking lot to tell him his story.  As we got out of the car to go back in, he was on his cell phone.  I might have been talking the hotel.  He was complaining to them as well about the game.

The van next to us was one of their team transports.  An assistant coach was inside staring blankly with a thousand yard stare.  She was probably not looking forward to being with the coach this evening.  Thankfully, she was driving.  Danny said the ejected player from the game was sitting in the back.  She was inconsolable.    

It wasn’t much better at the stadium.  The Redhawks were still up front waiting for their rides.  Some were crying.  Others were taking it better.  It was awkward.  I felt bad for them since their season was over.  While I was moving through the crowd, I noticed that beautiful, nice blonde ticket seller that I’d met at the baseball games was now manning the booth.  I stopped and chatted with her.  She’d seen the girls coming out crying and felt bad for them too.

Inside, I picked a seat high up on the left field side, which was blessedly in the shade (finally!).  As I was setting up my seat, I looked over the stands and noticed I could see into the rear of the visiting dugout.  Just as I was looking, one of the Utah Valley players walked in and took off her shirt.  I quickly averted my eyes and kept my back turned to that area until the start of the game.  Not so much because I didn’t want to look, but because I didn’t want to get thrown out.  I could not have seen what I thought I briefly saw as she took off her shirt.  That area is exposed to the entrance too.  Surely she just removed her jersey and still had an undershirt on.  (Even though that wasn’t what it looked like.)

Danny joined me and promptly angled his cushion to look directly in there.  He was amused during the game as he saw one of the girls running back there between innings to take a couple of bites out of a burrito.  Meanwhile, the rest of the crowd filed in.  With the stadium in shade and temperature going down, it was actually pleasant.  When the teams were about to be introduced, the PA played their fight songs.   

A good crowd developed for both the Wolverines and the Bakersfield Roadrunners.  I saw Basia’s mom and dad sitting nearby.  (She looks like her mom.)  Perhaps I should have gone over and introduced myself.  (Just kidding.)  A few of the Aggie girls came in.  Interestingly, Kennedi Sorensen has a sister on the Wolverines, Lexi.  Their parents were there rooting them both on.  Since Lexi is a pitcher and Kennedi is a catcher, they were probably hoping have an at bat against each other.  (It happened in that Sul Ross St baseball game against the Aggies.)  It was unlikely to happen in the tournament unless the game was a total blowout (and both teams obviously needed to be playing each other).   

Near catastrophe struck right at the beginning.  Both of my mechanical pencils ran out of the lead.  Lucky I still had my pen with me that I take notes with.  Using ink on a scorecard is a somewhat nerve-wracking experience.  I tried being as careful as possible, but I think both of my scorecards are off from the official scoring.  (So business as usual.  What else is new?)  I also nearly ran the pen dry doing this game. 

The Wolverines got a rally going in the top of the first, but it likely got snuffed on an out call for the runner leaving too early trying to steal.  In the bottom, I could see their cute red-head third baseman, Kaylee Bott, furiously fighting the descending sun in her eyes.  From an appearance standpoint, she looks good out there without a visor or sunglasses, but from a game standpoint, I would suggest using them. 

In the top of the second, Wolverine Madison Sisco had an honest at bat.  She walked away before the ump called her out looking.  In the bottom, Roadrunner Chris Hipa got hit by her batted ball was called out.  That may have short-circuited their promising inning. 

Arianna Felix made a great diving catch in the third, but the Wolverines finally broke through with a run driven in by an error.  An argument ensued and it momentarily looked like there’d be another ejection before cooler heads prevailed.  (My notes got real skimpy this late in the day.  No details.  Sorry.)  1-0 Wolverines.  In the bottom, a nearby fan started heckling the umpire.  The umpire turned around and glared at him.  A guy sitting next to him ducked, “I don’t want to get thrown out with you.”  After the inning, the ump took off his mask and looked back at the heckler.  He then smiled and laughed.  Apparently, the ump wasn’t taking the jabs seriously. 

In bottom of the fourth, the Roadrunners tied it, scratching out a run, partly thanks to an error.  Ariana Acedo drove in Hipa from second, 1 all.  Kaylee hustled a leadoff triple to start the fifth.  Linnah Rebolledo drove her in on a sac fly.  2-1 Wolverines.  In the bottom, the Roadrunners left three on base, who got on via two walks and a hit batter.  Roadrunner Karah Wiseman accidently hit Cydney Curran, her teammate in the on deck circle.  Cydney glared at her and pointed at the field.  Hit it that way!

The Wolverines threatened in the sixth, but came up empty.  In the bottom, Roadrunner Ariana was thrown out at second by Skylar Cook from centerfield trying to stretch a single.  Top of the seventh, ouch, Basia pegged Peyton Angulo with a liner, as Peyton was running to second from first.  It was unavoidable.      

Third base for the Roadrunners, Paige Johnson, had been a one-person cheering section during the game.  She was screaming and jumping on about every pitch when she was in the field.  The Utah Valley fans were getting tired of it.  They really got sick of her in the seventh when she doubled in the tying run.  2 all.  It was just what I wanted after a long day of softball, the last game going extra innings.  A double play took out the Wolverines in the eighth.  The Roadrunners threatened, but didn’t score in the bottom.       

The top of the ninth was emotional.  For me, it was frightening.  A foul ball went over the net with some speed and headed right towards me.  It was like watching a big yellow cannon ball and was scary as hell.  It died before it got to me.  The guy who was ducking from the ump earlier tried to make a play on it, but didn’t come up with it.  I’m still having traumatic flashbacks.

At this point, I need to mention the Roadrunner starter, Summer Evans.  She was still in the game!  By the ninth, she was gassed.  The Wolverines finally broke through, starting off the inning with four straight hits.  By the time the coach finally came and got her, Summer had given up four runs.  Even then, she clearly didn’t want to come out.  Summer covered her face with her glove, crying, as she left the circle.  The entire crowd gave her a round of applause.  Cydney made a great diving catch on the infield to help end the inning.  6-2 Wolverines. 

The Roadrunners would score in the ninth on an error by Kaylee Bott and threatened to score more, but 6-3 Wolverines was the final.  Bakersfield was the next to fall out of the tournament.  Skylar Cook gets a gameball for her 3 for 5 performance for the Wolverines.  The star of the game though was Summer Evans for the Roadrunners.  Her 8 1/3 innings of pitching was easily the gutsiest of the whole tournament.  She only gave up two runs through 8.  I don’t know why the coach left her in for the ninth.  She deserved a better decision than a loss.

Well, that’s Day 2 of the WAC Softball Tournament.  It only took about 13 hours to play out.  (No, really.  I counted.)  I didn’t even think about doing anything like writing once I got home.

On to Day 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment