Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Onate Knights vs Carlsbad Cavemen Baseball 5-9-21

Actual picture of a ballfield at The Field of Dreams in Las Cruces, NM


If you haven’t heard of either of the teams in the title, you’re not from around here (Las Cruces, NM).  They’re high school teams.  Ron, apparently desperate to do something on the weekend, suggested going to this game this weekend.  You know I love baseball, but even I wasn’t sure I wanted to see a high school game.  I put off the decision for a couple of day hoping something else would come up.  Nothing did.  There wasn’t even anything on TV.  I agreed to go.  

 



Before leaving for the game, I saw this weekend’s episode of Ring of Honor wrestling.  Yes, we’ve all seen this show, whether we’ll admit it or not.  In my area, it’s on three different stations, including daily showings on Stadium.  It’s hard to avoid.  The show is discount, low-rent, knock off WWE professional wrestling.  My main interest in watching is seeing adorable host, Quinn McKay, introduce the program.  Well even the hosts have arch enemies in pro-wrestling.  Quinn has a grudge against the Women’s champion, Angelina Love.  Love pranked Quinn once and took over her backstage interviewing.  Then Love beat up Quinn in an interview.  After knocking her out, Love then wrote on her forehead. 


This set up a match between the two.  I knew that, even though she wasn’t wrestling on the show, Quinn had some experience.  During the prefight, she also said she’d been in roller derby.  For the match, Love was completely disrespectful and didn’t even know why she was lowering herself to do this.  The early match proved Love was much more experienced.  She did make a couple of mistakes, which Quinn capitalized on.  The plucky heroine had a chance.  However, outside the ring interference distracted Quinn until Love could finish her with her signature move, the Botox Injection.  (If you saw her, you’d understand immediately.)  Quinn was left beaten, broken, and humiliated.  Her co-hosts gave her a standing ovation for the effort.  She did a good job and really sold it. 

 

I was raving about all of this after Ron picked me for the game.  “It’s all fake,” he basically said.  “It’s not about the competition; it’s about the performance.”  (Like the NFL, except it’s not about the competition or the performance; it’s about the betting, and it’s just as fake.)  You don’t go to The Nutcracker hoping the Toy Soldiers dominate the Rat King and his minions because you bet $10,000 on them.  You just appreciate the graceful athleticism.  In any case, I think this was the first women’s match ROH has done in a year.  They’ve briefly shown some female wrestlers, but not in new action.  They had a show last year that was a tribute to a deceased female Japanese wrestler (and I didn’t get her name), but that was it.  Going back to fighting in front of a crowd and having the ladies go at it on a regular basis would help the appeal of the show.

 

You can probably tell how much I want to talk about this high school baseball game by now.  I should rename this post.  Ron has met the Onate coach at Aggie Baseball several times and thought he’d support him here.  We left about an hour early to get to the other side of town.  Ron had been to the Field of Dreams football stadium, but not the other adjacent playing fields.  We pulled into the baseball complex, except it was actually the softball complex.  Oops.  We got directions from an attendant.  We drove past a couple of soccer fields in use, drove past the football stadium because the road was blocked for construction, drove all the way around the block, and then drove past the softball complex, the soccer fields, and the stadium again before finding the inlet road.  This is a huge complex altogether, by the way.

 

It was $5 to enter.  There was no program and no ticket.  Your hand was stamped.  There were three fields.  One, which had a covered grandstand and was facing away from the gusty wind, had a game in progress.  That wasn’t our game.  The other two fields had teams warming up.  A group of parents were sitting on collapsible chairs under the shade of the small trees outside of one of the other fields.  They were all wearing Carlsbad Cavemen t-shirts.  One field had an Onate team getting ready to play a Carlsbad team, but some of the kids were really small.  We asked a fan and found out this was the JV game. 

 

Next door was the Varsity game.  The field had two small dugouts, a chain link fence surrounding the outfield, and a small electronic scoreboard.  There were four small sets of bleachers surrounding the field.  Netting covered the front of the stands and the top to protect from foul balls.  NMSU’s Presley Askew Field was a palace by comparison.  I thought the bathroom here was really big, until I realized it was the men’s and women’s rooms joined together without separate doors.  Be careful.   

 

I was wearing a turquoise-colored mask, since that’s one of Onate’s colors.  There were a half dozen security guards around.  Their only job was seemingly to make sure everyone was wearing a mask and making their rounds about the stands every five minutes to enforce that.  It was a bit like a baseball game held in a prison yard.  All of the players were wearing masks while playing, too. 

 

I suppose I also have to bring up that I’m not sure if the school is still named, “Onate.”  Because of BLM, they didn’t want the school named after the Spanish explorer who started the colonization of New Mexico.  I don’t follow the logic there either.  (Onate, admittedly, did not have good relations with the natives.)  I’d heard they were going to change it to Organ Mountains High School, after Las Cruces’ signature natural monument.  The school is located in the foothills of the mountains.  Also, the team wouldn’t have to change their logo, which is an “O.”  But then, that name was called cultural appropriation of Mother Nature, so I don’t know where this all stands.  I’ll go with Onate for the post until told different.     

 

We were there right at the scheduled start time, but the game was delayed for a half hour anyway.  The Onate Varsity team was on the other field wearing plain whites with no numbers on them.  They’d change to gametops after.  The stands were fairly crowded.  The fans seemed mostly for Carlsbad.  A couple of Mayfield High School players, baseball and softball, done with their games, came in a sat with their family.

 

No point in discussing any pretty girls there.  They’re all either married moms or under aged.  This is a definite strike against high school sports.  There was no Anthem before the game and only two umps on field.  It was in the 80’s for the game with no clouds.  The wind was gusting.  Every time someone moved on the infield, it kicked up a shower of dust.  On the other hand, the wind did keep it from getting hot.  I reminded Ron that the softball game we went to first was free and not facing the wind.  He was aware of that.

 

With no program, I decided I wasn’t going to bother with scorecards for the game.  Given later substitutions, this was a good call.  I could have gotten at least the first names of the Onate team from parents shouting them out during the game.  Regardless, I’ll be making up some names for this report for comedy purposes.  That said, I do have immense respect for these high school athletes.  These kids are showing, sometimes painfully, how hard this game is to play.  College and pro players only make baseball mostly look easy because they’ve had so much practice.  Watching warm-ups here, I was hearing strains of Carmen in the background.  (Bad News Bears reference.  I won’t be explaining the rest of the references.  I'd link to a video, but Youtube doesn't have it.)      

 

The Onate pitcher looked tall, but we were sitting at near ground level close to the field.  For the top of the first, he struck out the side, but also had two wild pitches, and hit a batter.  Amanda was a bit wild, but had her curve ball working.  By the bottom of the first, I’m complaining about sand in my eyes in my notes.  Good thing I wasn’t playing.  Onate had a single and a walk in the inning.  A great diving play by Kelly in the outfield ended the frame.  I’d seen him park his motorcycle outside before the game.  There was a definitely leisurely pace to this game.  It felt like the first inning took over 20 minutes.   



Carlsbad sent up Bob Horner from the 70’s Atlanta Braves as the first batter.  He got hit on the back.  Man, no respect.  There was another wild pitch.  On this one, Schroder twisted his knee.  He gamely tried to take practice pitches with an obvious limp, before the coach finally took him out.  He had to be helped off the field, but thankfully he could still play piano.  Shermy, the first baseman, took over.  We haven’t seen much of Shermy since the early 60’s.  The Carlsbad coach immediately took advantage of this change and called for a squeeze play.  Bob Horner scored.  The coach argued to no avail, as always.  Why do they bother?  A single drove in a run.  A . . . ah . . . developmentally disabled woman in the stands started yelling incomprehensibly.  It had all turned into some Avant-Garde movie. 

 

The coach went out and talked to the pitcher, but this resulted in a stolen base and a passed ball, which also advanced the runner.  There was another mound visit.  Obviously, they weren’t counting visits like they do in college and the pros.  I’d forgotten how much time these things took up.  Ron was getting bored.  A run scored on a wild pitch.  There was an infield hit, but finally a flyball to left field ended the inning.  3-0 Carlsbad.  In the bottom, there was an error by the third baseman that let on a runner.  Benny on the mound worked around that and a wild pitch by getting two strikeouts and a popup.  Coming off the field, he confronted his third baseman, “You’re killing me, Smalls.”

 

Dear God, we’re only starting the third inning and we’ve been at this for an hour.  I suddenly remembered why I knew that Carlsbad’s team was called the Cavemen.  They have a famous alumnus in Cody Ross.  He played for the 2010 San Francisco Giants during their World Series run and did well.  There is a dropped third strike, but the new Onate catcher does throw out the runner.  There’s a walk and another wild pitch.  A bad pickoff move sent the runner to third, who came home on a wild pitch.  After a conference with the coach, an outfielder exchanges places with the pitcher.  I’m guessing the teams only have a limited number of players.  Right after the exchange, there’s another successful squeeze play for a run.  A single drives in another run.  An overthrow by Lupus advances the runner to third.  The inning ends on a caught-looking strikeout.  6-0 Carlsbad.                    

 

They should really be serving beer here.  I don’t drink, but I might take one right now along with all of the Onate parents.  There’s a senior Carlsbad couple sitting in stadium chairs that are more like loungers.  They even have canopies over them.  This is the way to view games like this: in comfort (and taking a nap).  I’m getting a stiff back like I never get with my stadium seat when I’m watching Aggie Softball.  I have to keep getting up.  We should have watched the JV game.  It’s already over.  The side struck out in the bottom of the third.  Not much to talk about there.  Ron pointed out that the dugout players were the ones retrieving foul balls.  You could hear the clatter of their cleats on the pavement walking after them.

   

A hit went over Tanner’s head at short to start the top of the fourth.  The runner stole second soon after.  The catcher made a good play on a high foul popup for the first out.  Right after though, the runner took third for another stolen base.  A wind-aided double drove in that run.  The pitcher then made a good play on a comebacker for the second out.  Ron left for the bathroom a while ago.  He better not be sitting at a better game right now. 

 

There’s another hit batter.  A wild pitch advances both runners on.  A single drives in another run.  My rear end is getting real uncomfortable sitting here.  I keep shifting around, but can’t get comfortable.  The runner at first is picked off, but still stole second.  This is not Onate’s day.  Another hit brings in another run.  We get another new pitcher when a couple of players change positions.  I wouldn’t have been able to figure this out on a scorecard.  A sacrifice brought in a run.  There’s another wild pitch advancing the runners.  A diving rolling catch in right field mercifully ends the inning.  10-0 Carlsbad.

 


In the bottom of the fourth, the hot player girlfriends make an appearance.
  From high school, to college, to the pros, you can rely on seeing hot player girlfriends at the ballpark.  Boy, were these girls smart not showing up for the beginning of this one.  Onate got a runner on via a single.  Lucy, playing out of position in centerfield, dropped the next flyball maintaining her .000 fielding average.  (“The sun got in my eyes.”)  The runner at first was still thrown out at second on the play.  Linus tripped on his blanket.  A strikeout ended the inning.



 

On to the fifth, the Onate coach warmed up the Charlie Brown on the mound, as the catcher had made the last out and was still gearing up.  The first baseman made a good play on a grounder down the line for the first out.  There was a strikeout and then a strikeout looking to end the inning.  Or not, the ump had the count wrong.  It’s been a long day for everyone.  A fly out ended the inning.  It was a bad sign that the scoreboard already had a zero showing for the bottom of the fifth.  I was over note taking by this point.  Onate went down quietly in the frame. 

 

Game 1 of this double header was scheduled for seven innings, but thankfully it ended on a 10-0 run rule after the fifth for the Carlsbad Cavemen.  Their pitcher got a big hand from the Carlsbad parents.  Some of the Onate players came out and hugged their moms.  I felt like I needed a hug, too.  This was two-and-a-half hours I really didn’t want to relieve writing.

 

Ron was back and asked if I wanted to wait in his car during the intermission.  I agreed.  We walked past Game 2 of the JV DH.  They didn’t even have anyone operating the scoreboard.  That brings up questions.  As soon as we got to the parking lot, I asked, “So, are you feeling real committed to Game 2 here?”  And with that, we left.  I’d wanted to go to Dairy Queen, but Ron was pretty sure they were packed.  I brought up What-a-burger next, but somehow we ended up at the downtown Coas used bookstore by my request.  I think I was too hungry to think straight.  Ron and I both got books.  (Well, I got a comic trade paperback.) 

 

Only because it was nearby in walking distance, we went to Zeffriro’s for pizza.  We’d had a great pizza there a couple of years ago, but now they were under new management.  The prosciutto one we’d had was no longer on the menu, but the one we had with pepperoni, bacon, ham, and mushrooms was really good.  I just didn’t need a pizza, since I was planning on getting one with dad on Sunday.  I didn’t need to overeat on it, but I didn’t think this pizza would survive microwaving as leftovers.  I really didn’t need to spend $27 on dinner.  The friendly waiter chatted with us about high school baseball.  He did confirm that Carlsbad fans did travel well.  He’d seen a game recently where they’d had a prospect that was about to get signed to a big deal by a scout.  I can’t imagine the horror of having a job scouting high school baseball in person. 

 

What have we learned?  High school baseball is for parents and under aged hot player girlfriends.  I’m sure there are many better high school games than the one we went to and Onate has played better, but now I’m totally scared off.  I told Ron I’d prefer to only see a more polished product from here out.  Ironically, I only went because I thought this might make for an interesting blog post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment