Monday, June 7, 2021

Memorial Day Weekend and Spring Sports Recap 2021 Part 4



Part 3

Monday 5-31-21

The first thing I heard after I got up was ESPN Radio.  I was planning on checking on them later, but the station was tuned to KROD since I was listening to the Chihuahuas last night.  I immediately changed stations, but changed right back because of what I’d momentarily heard.  ESPN was talking about tennis.  I know.  I could barely believe it myself. 

 

So, you could assume there was a controversy.  It’s not like they’re going to talk about X’s and O’s or actual matches.  I came in in the middle of the discussion.  They were talking about some female player I hadn’t heard of who was big timing the media and not doing a required interview.  Dat otay cuz she be a star playa.  She wanna blow offen da non-ESPN media, dat bein fine wit us.

 

Oh, jeez.  Sorry.  Listen to ESPN Radio sports talk for five minutes and your IQ goes straight down.  Anyway, this player not talking to the media is okay, because other sports media outlets don’t help to promote the sport.  This woman is a star player (whoever she is); she makes her own rules.  She’s like Lebron.  He violated the clown protocols the other day.  It’s okay, because the NBA can’t suspend their star player.  My takeaway from this discussion: What a bunch of media beta cucks. 

 

In any case, the story was timely.  The French Open was on NBC this morning.  I never heard the coverage mention the controversy, but then again, I found it impossible to sit and watch tennis.  I felt like something was missing from the coverage.  Oh, yeah.  Dick Enberg.  RIP.  Roger Federer was in the first match they showed, but I couldn’t get into it.  He was playing some opening round scrub.  The women’s match featured a bunch of very unattractive grunting.  Someday (maybe over the Fourth of July weekend), I’ll sit down and watch a match.  But likely, some new great player is going to have to come along to entice me to watch again.        

 

At the same time, Stadium was showing an All-Star High School football game.  Again, this couldn’t keep my interest.  The best part that I saw were the two squads of cheerleaders performing together at half time.  I think the cheerleaders were All-Star squads as well. 

 

What was pretty much distracting me was an X-Files marathon on Comet and a couple of war movies on This.  Every time I’ve seen the remastered X-Files, I’m amazed by the high quality job they did.  The prints are simply beautiful.  They were showing a bunch of the main conspiracy storyline episodes.  There’s a timeless quality to this show, but then they pick up an old fashion flip phone with an antenna, and the show is instantly dated.  Two of the war movies weren’t that great, but I really should have just stopped flipping around and watched Force 10 from Navarone.  I’ve seen it recently, but it’s a great movie that deserves to be over-watched.  I hope Amazon buying MGM doesn’t end up taking these stations off the air.

 

The other main distraction was lunch.  My big plans for the three-day weekend involved me walking over to 5 Guys for a hot dog and fries.  I’d noticed they were trending on Twitter on Friday.  Apparently, they’ve raised their prices.  Even then, the comments were unanimously, “Worth it.”  Unfortunately, that was not my experience today.  The hot dog was kind of flavorless and served on a stale bun . . . and it was all more expensive.  It’s been one disappointment after another this MDW. 

 

I checked ESPN Radio every hour starting at 11:00am until 2:00pm, but there was no national MLB game put on by KROD.  That wasn’t entirely unexpected, but I still can’t believe they put on a Saturday afternoon game with the NBA playoffs going on.  The Rockies and Rangers were inexplicably off today.  I had to wait for the evening Chihuahuas game.

 

After yesterday’s shelling, the pups were unfortunately having a scheduled bullpen day.  The OKC Dodgers scored in the first, but the Chihuahuas came right back in the bottom to tie it.  The Chihuahuas starting pitcher actually lasted until the fourth.  The wind started kicking up at the ballpark.  I’d noticed the sky was overcast here in Las Cruces.  It eventually worked its way to El Paso. 

 

There was a great play by the Chihuahuas’ Matt Batten to rob a sure two-RBI hit in the sixth to preserve the tie.  In the bottom, a fly ball lost in the wind resulted in double.  Then there was a walk, all with no outs.  Batten came up with two outs and hit a high fly that might have been a home run, but was knocked down by the wind.  I went out to the garbage.  It looked rainy outside, but nothing materialized here.  In the eighth inning, there was a great diving catch on a Dodger hit that was dropped when the fielder hit the ground.  Tim had to go to the rulebook to confirm the call.  Two wild pitches brought in a run.  Another RBI and a ninth inning two-run homer gave OKC a 5-1 win.

 

At least the crowd there got fireworks and the game didn’t even take three hours.  I was left with editing this mess.  Yeah, this has been a largely unsuccessful MDW.  Even with no rainouts for the races, disappointment abounded.  I need to make better food choices, too.  (I should probably just get hamburgers at 5 Guys.)  The good news is that I think at least everyone else at the various sporting events really enjoyed themselves.  I think the main problem for me is that I’ve been stressed lately.  Over this three-day weekend, I didn’t relax at all.  That’s totally my fault.  I’ll take note of that the next time I get a day off.

No comments:

Post a Comment