Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Comics Review: Barbarella #3 The Center Cannot Hold

Las Cruces’ beloved Day’s Hamburgers is closing down at the end of the month.  I rushed over to the Downtown Mall for a last meal.  (I’d actually just been there a couple of weeks ago, so don’t say I didn’t support the place.)  Unfortunately, a good deal of Las Cruces had the same idea and I had to wait a half hour for the burger.  It was worth it.  That was the best burger I’d ever had there with a super fresh bun and extra meat on the burger.  They are going out in style.  I chatted momentarily with the owner.  She didn’t preclude the idea of reopening someday, but in another location.

 

Afterward, I went to nearby Coas Bookstore and Zia Comics before going to work.  I picked up a sweet 500-page Sabrina omnibus at Coas.  I’m still reading that (no surprise), and I’ll review that later.  At Zia Comics, I discovered that essentially their entire comics rack is all gay comics.  Their rack has always been on the swishy side, but this time, I felt like I really had to search to find something that would appeal to me.  (Next time, I should get a trade paperback, but even that selection isn’t too much different, unless I want to spurge on a $100 hardback treasury tome.)  I found two comics to take a chance on.         

 


I picked this up for the great cover and that I have some familiarly with the character.  I saw the 1968 Barbarella movie a long time ago.  While I have a severe distaste for Jane Fonda, I have to admit she’s rather appealing in it.  (The opening credits will keep your attention.)


 


Simply, Barbarella is a sci-fi secret agent.  She’s a lot like classic James Bond, especially how often she ends up in the sack with everyone she meets.  She can’t help it; she’s irresistible.  This particular issue has Barb and her friends rescuing her fox-ish companion, Vix.  Yes, there’s an angel (Talan) and a buff rabbit-man (Jack).  And, she’s fighting evil little fox creatures.





Is Jack an upgrade on Jaxxon?  You be the judge.



I read this when I had some time waiting to leave for somewhere.  After being burned any number of times by buying independent (non-Marvel and DC) comics, I was expecting disappointment.  Though it was a sliver of a larger story and featuring a character I only had passing knowledge of with some silly-looking companions, I found myself sort of engrossed with the comic.  It was a bit sexy, but not overtly so (darn it).  There wasn’t a lot of action, though certainly danger was present.  The artwork was pretty good, but felt kind of workman like.  The tech, backgrounds, and fantastic creatures were better than the renderings of our titular heroine, who is the main reason why people would be buying this.    

 

This issue felt like an interlude that was setting up a future climax.  However, it worked for me because of the setting.  It set up a lot of interesting concepts, even sort of philosophical.  If it hadn’t been kind of fascinating, it would have just been talky.  I enjoyed this comic enough that I’m hoping there’ll be another issue on stands the next time I’m at Zia Comics. 

 

Here, I’m gonna cheat.  I went to a comics “archive” site to look up the past issues.  (I’d link to it, but that might not be prudent unless you’ve got some spyware protection.  There’s a couple of them and they’re not hard to find.  I wasn’t even looking for them and stumbled on them.) 

 

This is the second series of this current itineration of the character.  There is an overarching plot.  There is more action and sexy stuff (and, frankly, the first series was much better illustrated).  I was also able to check out some classic Barbarella material from her creator, Jean-Marc Lofficier.  The old movie and this new comic are well in keeping with his original vision. 

 

I was honestly worried seeing up front that a woman wrote this comic.  Barbarella is an active heroine, but not a modern feminist.  I was relieved that the character was not “updated for a modern audiences,” perhaps only a bit more modest, but still a romantic.  Sarah Hoyt did a good job of staying true to the original character and that made the comic enjoyable. 

 

And I’ll review the other comic next.

No comments:

Post a Comment