Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Boxing Report: Emanuel Navarrete vs Oscar Valdez



I’ve already done a boxing post this year.  I don’t need to do another.  Oh, alright.  I watched the fight and took notes; I may as well do the post.  (This doesn’t get me any closer to having a vote with the Baseball Writers so that I can make the wrong decisions for the Hall of Fame.) 

 

Even though I’d just gotten back from the Aggie Volleyball Scrimmage, I still wasn’t “sports out,” for the today.  Somehow, I remembered that there was a fight on tonight.  I’d never heard of the boxers (I pretty much haven’t heard of any boxer, except Canelo), but my co-worker Mike told me he was going to the fight in Arizona this weekend with his girlfriend Laiza.  She has all of the connections and probably got them free tickets.  The only thing was I couldn’t remember who they were rooting for.

 

I turned on TV Azteca out of Mexico and figured the fight was on an hour delay.  The fight was in Glendale (Phoenix) at the Desert Diamond Arena.  It looked like a full house.  This was a Lightweight Championship fight between two Mexican boxers both with over 30 wins and only 1 loss.  (If they’re both Mexican, I don’t know who Laiza’s rooting for.)  Emanuel Navarrete looked bigger and taller.  Oscar Valdez actually looked a bit scrawny by comparison, but I assumed he didn’t get into this fight by accident.

 

Round 1: (Just a reminder, these are the raw notes I took as the fight happened.)  Navarrete dominated early, but Valdez was countering well.  There was an early headlock up by Valdez, but then he went to a knee.  The ref motioned like it was a low blow.  Valdez got in a gut shot and Navarrete had the wind knocked out of him.  Navarrete then forced Valdez into the ropes and unloaded on him.  Navarrete took this round, though Valdez did well too.  This was a heck of a fight already. 

 

Round 2: Navarrete drove Valdez around the ring.  Both were taking wild swings at each other.  They both ducked under the shots.  Valdez went into a defensive shell.  There was lots of the crowd noise.  I think they were for Valdez, but I’m not sure.  Valdez was saved by the bell after taking a blast into a post.  Navarrete’s round.

 

Round 3: They were showing a couple of commercials between rounds featuring Shakira singing to a ham sandwich with a side of chips.  No further comment needed.  Valdez got in a staggering headshot and put Navarrete into the ropes.  A furious exchange of blows ensued.  Valdez wrapped up Navarrete’s head again.  The two began sparring in the middle of the ring.  Valdez was warned on a shot to the back of the head.  He nodded when the bell sounded and seemed satisfied.  I had Valdez taking the round.  The coverage had Navarrete. 

 

Round 4: There was a replay of last round showing Valdez taking a couple of massive shots to the head that I didn’t see.  Okay, Navarrete took the last round.  There was some dancing this round.  Valdez briefly put Navarrete into the ropes, but then Valdez started backing up on defense.  Navarrete unloaded a great counterpunch to Valdez’s jaw.  Round to Navarrete.

 

Round 5: Shots to Navarrete’s abs and head staggered him briefly.  Valdez was staying very low and crouching on defense to dodge shots.  Valdez was pushed into the ropes.  He wrapped up to get out.  Navarrete drove him back into the ropes briefly.  I had Navarrete taking the round.  The coverage gave it to Valdez.

 

Round 6: There was a wrap up right at the bell.  Navarrete staggered badly on a hit.  The fighters were slowing down.  Valdez put Navarrete into the ropes briefly and the crowd cheered.  Valdez wrapped again and got in a kidney punch.  He was warned.  Round to Valdez.

 

Round 7: They wrapped at the bell again.  Valdez was ducking under punches.  The ref stopped the fight briefly as Valdez lost his mouth guard.  Navarrete got in a good exchange.  Valdez pushed Navarrete into the ropes and leaned on him.  Navarrete unloaded a furious exchange.  Valdez was looking rough and tired.  Navarrete.

 

Round 8: There were a couple of blows and then a wrap.  Navarrete was probing and seemed content to let Valdez exhaust himself.  Valdez got in a good exchange.  I had Valdez because of the number of blows, but the coverage had Navarrete.

 

Round 9: Navarrete may have tripped and fell backward into the ropes after a shot.  The crowd began chanting.  Valdez wrapped up.  In the last seconds of the round, both of them landed massive blows.  I had Valdez.  The coverage had Navarrete.

 

Round 10: Navarrete was somehow distracted by something before the round started.  No problem.  He was aggressive in attacking.  The crowd was getting louder.  Valdez got in a big shot to the side of Navarrete’s head.  Valdez put Navarrete into the post and pummeled him.  Meanwhile, Valdez was showing a bad cut under his right eye.  Valdez got in two massive shots.  Both fighters were going after it furiously up to the bell.  Valdez.

 

Round 11: The round began with the crowd roaring.  Valdez drove Navarrete into the ropes.  Valdez nearly fell out of the ring throwing a punch.  Good blows were hitting, but not hard enough.  Navarrete was chasing Valdez around at the bell.  I had Navarrete.  I think the coverage had Valdez.

 

Round 12: Navarrete pounded his gloves at the bell.  He was ready to go.  He was chasing Valdez around again and pushed him down.  Suddenly, Navarrete fell to a knee. I didn’t see the punch and it wasn’t replayed, but it happened.  Valdez pressed and the crowd went crazy.  Navarrete charged.  Both fighters waded into each other until the final bell.  I had Valdez winning the round.  The coverage had Navarrete. 

 

Neither boxer was celebrating immediately after the fight.  Valdez was in his corner with his eye swelled shut.  Navarrete, in his corner, looked like he just needed a shower.  His hair wasn’t even messed up. 

 

The decision was unanimous from the judges, the coverage, and myself.  The champion, Navarrete, retained his belt.  Valdez seemed to be fighting a losing cause just looking at the two fighters before the bout started, but there were times when it felt like the fight could suddenly end either way. 

 

I knew the fight was on an hour delay, but I tried to call Mike afterward anyway.  It was an hour earlier where he was, but there was no answer.  Mike came back to work a couple of days later.  Him and Laiza were rooting for Oscar Valdez.  Though disappointed, they still had a good time.  Mike blamed the loss on Valdez “headhunting” with his punches.  I actually enjoyed the fight even it was the typical 12 rounds and decision bout.  Maybe I was just tired.  Both boxers were definitely warriors.   

No comments:

Post a Comment