Thursday, May 11, 2023

Boxing Report: Canelo vs John Ryder

 


It had been a long day at Aggie Baseball and then Softball.  I should have started writing recaps, but I decided instead to watch this boxing match and take notes.  I’m required to do this yearly to maintain my press hard card, so I just pick Canelo’s fights to write about.  (Of course, I’m kidding.) 

 

Certainly, I’d rather write about this fight than last week’s.  I was convinced to watch it by my co-workers, who said it’d be great.  It was some kind of lightweight fight between two guys I’d never heard of and don’t remember, but they were both undefeated.  It ended with a body shot that the camera didn’t catch or it was a fix.  This is my typical experience watching fights: disappointment.  My co-worker Taylor did successfully predict the fight would end in a knockout in the seventh.  He just had the winner wrong.

 

At least I like Canelo.  My co-worker, Mike, who’s girlfriend Laiza is a Canelo maniac, assured me this fight would be no big deal.  I was listening to the end of an El Paso Chihuahuas’ game when the fight began.  I told my dad that the fight was on if he wanted to try and get TV Azteca on his TV, but had to leave a message.  He called back just as the Chihuahuas lost on a two-run homer that hit the foul pole.  Fudge.  



The fight was in Canelo’s hometown of Guadalajara and held in the soccer stadium in front of 51,000 fans.  Englishman John Ryder was nicknamed “The Gorilla,” and I could see it.  He was a bit taller, but Canelo was stockier. 

 

Canelo came out with the stadium doused in red light.  A dance troop proceeded him to the tune of Mariachi music.  Fireworks went off overhead.  Canelo wore a crown.  During the fighter introductions, Ryder didn’t even rate a “boo” from the crowd.  Canelo looked bored in the ring waiting for the bell.  This didn’t bode well for a good fight.

 

Round 1: Both fighters were non-committal.  There were a couple of exchanged body blows.  Ryder grabbed and put Canelo into the ropes.  Ryder and Canelo engaged in an odd clutch all the way through the fight as they held one of each other’s arms down.  I had Ryder taking the round, but the experts had Canelo.

 

Round 2: Both guys were already looking messy.  Canelo put Ryder into the ropes briefly, but he escaped.  The crowd started singing.  Both looked tentative by the end of the round.  Canelo.

 

Round 3: Ryder was getting in some shots to the face.  Canelo responded by putting Ryder into the ropes again.  Ryder was looking really bloody or was my TV tint off?  (I think he took a shot to the nose here.)  Both fighters were looking red.  (It was Ryder’s blood getting all over Canelo.)  Ryder got in a good exchange fighting from the ropes.  I had Ryder maybe taking the round.  I didn’t realize he was bleeding all over the place at the time.  (It’s not like I’m really understanding the fight commentary in Spanish.)  Canelo definitely. 

 

Round 4: I also had a Ranger game going on the radio.  They were beating up on the Angels.  Both fighters were mixing it up in the middle of the ring.  Ryder got in a few head shots.  (He was doing pretty good for a guy with a broken nose.)  Canelo was leaning on Ryder and looked tired.  I had Ryder.  The experts had Canelo.

 

Round 5: They were exchanging equal blows.  Ryder suddenly dropped to a knee.  His face was completely bloody.  The crowd was up and roaring.  Ryder got right back up and went on the attack.  Canelo got in a few shots, but backed off.  Ryder seemed to be wobbling.  Canelo.  (I think I learned something about scoring here.  You lose a point for getting knocked down.)

 

Round 6: Both fighters begin by clutching up.  Canelo gets a headshot on Ryder.  He staggers, but fights back before Canelo can move in and finish him.  Canelo forces Ryder into a buckle.  Ryder hits Canelo in the face, but it doesn’t even faze him.  Canelo.

 

Round 7: Ryder gets in a couple of good body shots right at the start.  Canelo leans on Ryder.  Ryder then stumbles after throwing a series of punches.  Canelo attacks as the action stays in the middle of the ring.  Ryder took this round.  The experts and I agreed that one.

 

Round 8: The crowd was shouting at the start.  Canelo again forced Ryder into a buckle.  Ryder was looking tired after a series of blows.  Both fighters then leaned on each other exhausted.  Ryder got in a couple of head shots.  This got Canelo mad and Ryder went down on a punch right before the bell.  He did pop back up.  Canelo.

 

Round 9: The crowd was now buzzing.  There were some vicious clutch shots.  Neither fighter was willing to throw a punch and mix it up.  They clutched again and ref broke them up.  Canelo landed a big right.  Ryder was completely staggered.  Canelo tried to finish him, but Ryder stayed on his feet.  He looked angry and you could read his lips, “Come on!”  Canelo.

 

Round 10: The ref has to break the fighters up as they locked arms.  The KFC chicken sandwich ads they’re running during the rounds are starting to get to me.  The Carl’s Jr. burger ads also look pretty good.  Rangers win 10-1.  Sweet.  Back to the fight, Ryder was swinging away.  Both of them were taking big swings and missing.  I had Ryder winning the round, but the experts convinced me to change it to Canelo.

 

Round 11: Both fighters were fairly strong and lively.  Ryder got in a good exchange into Canelo.  I split with the experts again and take Ryder.

 

Round 12: Ryder attacks.  Canelo takes several shots and just nods at them.  Canelo no longer seemed to be working for a KO.  He was just trying to make sure he didn’t walk into anything.  There was a final vicious swing at the clap.  I have Canelo taking the round. 

 

Both fighters were cordial at the bell.  Canelo won in a unanimous decision.  I totally agree.  I only question my scoring, but even then, I would definitely say Canelo won the fight.  Fireworks went off again.  A Roman emperor golden leaves crown was placed on the Canelo’s head.  In the interview afterward in the ring (in Spanish, so I didn’t get most of it), Canelo called Ryder a “warrior.” 

 

I called Mike for his post-fight analysis.  I found out Laiza actually had been given tickets to the fight, but decided not to go.  (She has “connections.”)  We both agreed that it was a tough fight and were surprised that it went the distance.  Ryder was no placeholder patsy.  Canelo could have probably finished the fight about halfway through, but he also could have gotten knocked clean out doing so.  Canelo was better, but this was a fairly even match.                  

 

I could saved myself the trouble of writing all this and just summed it up: two dudes wailed on each other for 12 rounds.  Okay, this is why I watch Canelo fights, because they’re mostly entertaining.  I’ll probably be back with another boxing report later in the year for his next fight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment