Friday, July 17, 2020

Artifacts: High School

While I grew up in Las Cruces, New Mexico, I went to high school in El Paso due to my dad's job transfer.  The first time I saw J.M. Hanks High School at 2001 Lee Trevino Drive, I thought it looked like a large shopping mall.  I might have enjoyed it more if that had been the case. 


I forgot about these.  This was a student directory that was handed out to all the students.  It had the names, addresses, and phone numbers of all the students.  I showed this to some of my co-workers and they were horrified that such a thing existed.  It was a more trusting time (with no Internet).  The handwriting on the cover was my weekly comic book search list at the time.  I used to go around the local convenience stores looking for comics. 


There was an annual magazine produced by the school with art, poems, and stories by the students.  My first year it was on heavy paper, but the next three years it was a slick, glossy affair. 



This was the best drawing in all the magazines.  I couldn't decide which scan was better.


This one actually featured a die-cut cover.



Lastly, here are some items from my graduation.  Our mascot was the knight and our colors were black and silver, until another newer school appropriated them.  After that, we went to black, sliver, and red.




No comments:

Post a Comment