Monday, June 1, 2020

Some Late Comic Book Reviews: Dollar Bin and an Art Book

The day before the shutdown order for “non-essential” businesses here in New Mexico two months ago, I went out to a local used bookstore and the comic book store downtown.  I’d sort of had a heads up on the shutdown and wanted to give them some business before it happened.  I almost said something to the people running the stores, but didn’t, just in case I was wrong.  I doubt a warning would have made any difference. 

I read everything I picked up fairly quickly, but didn’t write up anything about them until now.  I didn’t exactly forget about doing it.  I have been pretty busy scanning other stuff for the blog.  Maybe I didn’t want to do any extra scanning while I was in the middle of a huge stack of scan.  (I have a whole bunch more to post from that stack.)  Maybe I was kind of disappointed in the new comics and didn’t want to go to the trouble of writing anything.

The Coas used bookstore has a couple of bins of old comics.  It still boggles my mind that the nearby comic bookstore doesn’t have something similar.  I’d come with the intention of buying something, so I wasn’t as picky as I’d usually be.  I picked up eight comics that caught my interest.


Two were Witchblade comics the early 2000’s.  I’d had some experience with the character from the 90’s in a trade paperback.  Those were probably from Michael Turner’s run.  It was okay, but while the book had a great price, it was so cheaply put together that it came apart on my first reading.  Unfortunately, while the artwork in two issues I got (#’s 56 and 90) was good, but it wasn’t near Michael Turner-level quality. 

I appreciated the concept of a cop with supernatural powers and that it is played like a realistic TV cop show.  (Which admittedly isn’t very realistic.  I’ve been watching a lot of Chicago P.D. lately in syndication.  I blame Sophia Bush.)  That said, it’s hard to imagine this setup running for 90 issues without some changes to the premise.  How much weird magical stuff could a NYC detective be in the middle of before everybody noticed the connection?


Everything else was from the 80’s.  I grabbed four issues of DC’s The Warlord.  I’m not sure if I’ve ever read any issues before, but I knew about the concept of an Air Force pilot trapped in the mythical countries of the hollow earth.  (Obviously, this is fantasy.  Everyone knows the earth is flat, not hollow.)  I managed to get most of a complete storyline from #77, 78, 79, and Annual #3.  It had the beginning and end of a trippy time travel loop story involving the Art Bell-ish trope of the Philadelphia Experiment.

Needless to say, this was the kind of fun stuff that comics should be all about.  (Having a fetish-y cat-girl character named Shakira didn’t hurt either.)  Admittedly, they were a bit simplistic.  I partly blame the convention of the time in DC comics of having a backup feature.  That space should have been devoted to adding more characterization and story to the main feature.  The Barren Earth second feature was okay.  It made the most out getting only six pages per story.   


I showed these to my friend Ron.  I think he enjoyed the old comic book ads from the time more than the story.  One of the issues published a fan letter asking about the number of rounds Morgan has available for his gun in this fantasy world.  Answer: a lot.  2,016 bullets at best estimate.   




Nexus #48 got me one issue closer to collecting the whole six-part bowl-shaped world (another weird world) saga.  Maybe someday.  This was peak Steve Rude artwork right here.  Lastly, there’s Kull the Conqueror #6.  He’s another Robert E. Howard creation, kind of like a more thoughtful version of Conan, but from an earlier era.  The story was pretty good, but I really enjoyed the artwork by John Buscema and the distinctive inking and coloring of Klaus Janson. 


Then I saw this.  It was on display on a shelf.  I’m not normally that much into art books, but this one immediately caught my eye.  Thankfully, the book wasn’t sealed up, so I was able to take a look inside.  I was sold immediately.  This was a new book, so I even paid full price for it.  You can look at the artist’s, Ilya Kuvshinov, artwork on his website.  The book’s intended purpose succeeded with me, as it inspired me to draw a little after several years of not picking up a pencil. 






Interesting, I picked up eight comic books and an artbook and none of this was conventional superhero stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment