Monday, February 15, 2021

Holiday Comics Review Part 3 Gaming Comics

Continued from Part 2



The Collected Adventures of Phil and Dixie What’s New #1

I’m a fan of Phil Foglio’s work.  I used to have his Myth Adventures adaptation.  (What did I do with that?  I continually shocked remembering the cool things I got rid of and the crap I’ve kept.)  I haven’t kept up with his latest online strip, Girl Genius, but it’s very good-looking.  Of course, one of the highlights of old issues of Dragon magazine, was Phil’s What’s New comic.

 

I’d seen this album advertised somewhere long ago and desperately wished I could obtain it.  And here it was!  It was just ran into it in a dollar box amongst a bunch of random recent independent titles.  I could scarcely believe I was holding this unicorn in my hands.  This might have been the first thing I pulled out from those 12 boxes of comics I was thumbing through, which no doubt influenced me to keep going through them. 

 

This is a normal-sized comic, square bound, 48 pages, and printed on rather thick paper with a very durable cover.  It was $6 when released and printed in 1991.  This surprised me, because all of the material inside is from the 80’s and I’m sure I saw this advertised before the 90’s.  In any case, this would have been an expensive buy back then.  These comics were originally published in a magazine.  I’d sort of imagined this was in an old graphic novel-sized album format.

As for the comics, it starts with a new eight-page color story that shows Phil and Dixie’s origin story, which is very cute.  It then goes into a short black and white section, which was how the comic was originally published.  The rest of the strips are in color.

 

And I’m kind of dancing around it here.  The comics aren’t that great.  I have a feeling Foglio himself would say, “Yeah, the comedy is a bit rough here.  I’ve done much better writing and visual storytelling since.”  The artwork is fine for comedy, but other than the Sex and D&D running gag (which always teased, but never paid off), the jokes aren’t that great.  Part of this comes from Phil himself saying on the back page that he was making up the strips without actually playing the game.  It shows at times. 

 

What’s New did set the standard for comics in Dragon magazine.  It was always pretty funny and looked good.  I assume Volume 2 of this would have some of the better material that I remember.  At some point, Phil must have at least cracked open a D&D book for new ideas.  The most inspired running gag was the evil Dixie storyline where she changed alignments.  Those strips were classic.

 

In sum, this was a disappointment.  Don’t purchase this at collector’s prices, but it’s worth it at much less than the cover price, at least for historical value.           

 


Munchkin #8

Munchkin is a popular fantasy card game, which I haven’t played, but I’d be more willing to try it than getting involved with the cardboard crack that is Magic: The Gathering.  (And I have way too much pride to ever be caught dead playing Pokemon.  Well, unless Dizzykitten wants me to play with her, but I think she only collects the cards.  I don’t think she plays.)

 

In any case, I decided to try the comic, thinking it might be kind of light-hearted fun in a fantasy vein.  The artwork was appropriately cartoony and reasonably appealing.  Unfortunately, the two stories (one continuing, one standalone) were really simplistic and not that funny.  There’s only two characters and neither are developed well enough to provide much comedy by themselves.       


  

On the back page, there’s an actual card for game use, Baby Boomer.  If you bought another issue, you might get a different card.  At $4 an issue, that would be pretty expensive.  I also like the ad for the figure.  It’s pretty well done.  If card series artist, John Kovalic (of Dork Tower), were doing this series, I’m pretty sure it would be great, but he’s a busy guy.      

 



Pathfinder Worldscape #5

Paizo’s Pathfinder made a conscious effort to create iconic characters to represent their RPG line.  They created the notion of iconics during their stewardship of Dungeon and Dragon magazines, but they never named them or statted them out.  Now, they have characters can be used in various media to promote the game, including comic books. 


This issue was part of a mini-series featuring the Pathfinder iconics along with Red Sonja, John Carter of Mars, and Tarzan.  I’m still trying to figure out why or how Marvel didn’t reacquire the rights to Red Sonja when they got Conan back.  Unlike their own superhero comics, Marvel has done a good job making Conan comics.  (I’ll be reviewing a Conan comic in the next part of this Holiday review.)  Dynamite is nonetheless the current publisher of the warrior redhead.  I haven’t noticed any Tarzan comics from them, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t any.  I also haven’t seen any John Carter comics, but it’s hard to miss the Dejah Thoris comics they’ve been putting out.



This issue does contain a battle map with a poster on the reverse, neither of which are all that great, if not worthless.  The inside artwork isn’t as good as the cover.  I do not appreciate the artistic choice of Red Sonja’s appearance in the pages.  She has this wild-haired Irish berserker look.  While Sonja is a Robert E. Howard character, the look of the character was developed by Marvel (and had pretty much nothing to do with Howard’s original character).  I’m kind of surprised Dynamite can still use the chain mail bikini.  I’d almost say the big hair look was done to make her 25% different to avoid copyright issues, but she has the classic look on the cover.




Coming in with Issue #5, I have no idea what the story is.  It wasn’t very engaging, in spite of the all-star cast (though Tarzan doesn’t really show up in this issue).  Two of the female iconics are lesbians apparently, as is the villain.  Well, that’s all I got out of this.  There are stats for Tar Tarkas, the Green Martian, in the back.  That would be for the previous version of Pathfinder now, and I seriously doubt any DM would let you bring this character to their table to play with.

 

That’s three more strikes.  Let’s see what’s next.

 

Part 4 

No comments:

Post a Comment