Thursday, November 4, 2021

Toy Soldiers 6: Romans and Celts



I also got this set of Roman Legion at the Estate Sale with the Greeks.  (I missed out on a good-looking set of Celts that I forgot to pick up when I went to go pay.  I’m still kicking myself.)  Unfortunately, these guys are too much like the Zulus that I mentioned before, as they were made by the same company, Ertl/ESCI.  The horror show of attaching little bitty spears and shields to figures had a return engagement.  I’m not sure if I exactly knew what I was buying when I got it, otherwise I might have reconsidered or egotistically thought that I could apply my Zulu experience and easily put them together.  Or, I found myself again using a soldering tool on these little figures and occasionally ruining them.  



Ancient Britons was the title on the box.  I usually called them Celts.  Maybe they could pass as Vikings (real Norse didn’t have helmets with horns on them, but who cares?).  Definitely, they work as Dungeons & Dragons figures and I used them as such.  I bought these at around the same time as the WWII figures, which was before I played D&D.  I don’t know how I exactly used them when I was setting them up for battles with rifle-armed troops, but I’m sure I did.  The set came with two chariots.  Unfortunately, they were less exciting than you’d think and were pretty fragile like some of the figures (the staff bearer/D&D wizard guy, had to be repaired early on).  I’d rather that they had more figures in the set instead.  

 

Also out of historical context, I had a box of Confederate Civil War figures for some reason.  (I must have eventually run out of WWII armies to buy.)  They were grey, boring, and poorly detailed.  However, most of the figures were shooting, so they got used a lot in battle.  Later, I got another set of Confederates from the toy store in the mall.  (Did they not have any Union troops?)  I think they were made by Ertl/ESCI.  Not one figure in the set was shooting.  I kid you not.  A bunch of toy soldiers in battle, but none of them were in a shooting pose.  Needless to say, I didn’t know that when I bought them.

 


And here they are fighting it out over Britain.  Since Boudica isn’t leading the Britons and the Roman figures suck, I’d wager on the Brits.  

No comments:

Post a Comment