Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Retro Comic Review: Spider-Man 2099 #1 Part 2


In Part 1, I went over the story in this comic, but as I read it, I was more struck by the ads inside.  While I might personally regard the 80’s as peak Marvel Comics from a quality standpoint (you could also make a case for the 70’s), 90’s Marvel was the peak of their popularity.  Before the bust and bankruptcy, Marvel was really printing money to collectors and new fans.  I’d question the story quality of these comics, but nobody questions the energy and enthusiasm in the art and style. 



It was an exciting time for comics, which I unfortunately didn’t really participate in.  Apart from DC Vertigo’s Sandman, I couldn’t get into the “big guns/big muscles” era of comics.  They seemed kind of silly to me in my late 20’s.  But check out all the titles listed for subscription by Marvel in 1992.  I don’t even recognize some of these characters.  There were six X-Men related titles, six Spider-Man titles, three Ghost Riders, and formerly independent comic, Fish Police

 


In the ad here, you can see what comics were being promoted by comics’ sellers.  It wasn’t just Marvel and DC, there were independent companies doing well, too.  These more colorful ads took the place of the old text-based Mile High Comics ads.      



Ghost Rider was a hot property at the time (for some reason).  Before you had websites and phone apps, you had 900 numbers to call in to win prizes.  It could be get expensive calling into those numbers and there wasn’t even a “hot” chick on the other end wanting to talk to you. 

 


Check out these giveaway comic deals.  I don’t know what a “Charleston Chew” is, I’d eat one to get the comic.  Likewise, the UNICIEF fundraiser comic features Venom with an enhanced cover and includes a poster.    




So what better, more mature hobby did I pick up instead of comics?  Trading cards!  These things were hot back in the day.  Strangely, I didn’t buy any baseball cards.  I bought NBA cards, which seemed like the top of the line in sports cards, and they were good-looking.  I also bought a bunch of superhero cards and all sorts of other cards at a local card shop (that was a thing then) and at Hastings.  I’ve gotten rid of almost all of them by now.     



It was the X-Men who drove the bus in these days.  Here on the Soapbox, Stan Lee was promoting the X-Men animated series debut.  This would, of course, become a nostalgic classic cartoon.    



Here’s an X-Men game.  There’s also a promo in the right corner for an X-Men card game.  If only Marvel had figured out to combine collectible trading cards with a game at the time, they could have easily staved off bankruptcy and might have still owned the film rights to all of their characters. 

 

Comic books were usually known for fun ads, but these were the peak in comic book marketing.  I’m excited just looking at these and wistfully yearning for bygone days.  Anyway, I hope this post sets the mood for the time that this comic came out in.

No comments:

Post a Comment