Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Comics Review: Conan, Forge, ERB, and Tigers! Oh My! Part 1

I actually hate using any variation on that phrase, “Lions and tigers, etc,” but it just sort of slipped out.  I was back at Zia Comics and Coas Books for more comics recently.  I may need to stop hanging out with Ron.  We keep going places that cost me money.



 

Batman #33 DC Universe Rebirth

I’d bought a couple of comic books for my co-workers the last time I went to the comic book store.  After I’d handed them out, I realized I hadn’t bought anything for my boss, Eric.  Of course, he didn’t say anything, but he had a little edge towards me afterward.  I rectified this oversight with another trip.   

 

Eric has a couple of Batman items in his office, so that seemed like an easy enough find at a comic book store.  Zia Comics had a bunch of overpriced Batman/Fortnite crossover issues on the new issues rack.  I admit part of me was intrigued.  The other part of me was snickering at the pop cultural lateness or obvious desperate marketing ploy (for both franchises).  I checked the back issues bins for something more reasonable and I picked the one with the coolest cover. 

 



When I handed it off, Eric seemed quite touched and mounted it on his wall.  I also gave an Archie comic to his boss, whom I had a meeting with later in the week to head off another oversight.  I had lent her an Archie digest last month when she mentioned she’d been an Archie fan as a girl.  (She requested it.  “But won’t your husband make fun of you when he sees you reading it in bed?”)  She seemed pleased too.  Okay, I think I’m good with everyone now.





As to the comic, I really liked the artwork by Joelle Jones.  This might be the best version of Catwoman since Jim Balent.  There’s remarkable sensitivity in the lines.  As for the story though, what a waste of effort.  This whole “story” could have been compressed into four pages and not lost anything worthwhile.  This includes the worthless subplot of several Robins sitting around with Alfred (and Ace the Bathound). 



The worst of it was this.  Batman and Catwoman confront some badass guard.  Batman defers to Catwoman to take him out.  And in the next scene, the badass is simpering as the two of them walk past him.  That is the worst kind of storytelling: Don’t show and don’t tell, just look cool . . . and leave to the reader’s imagination how she took the huge dude out, since it makes no logical sense.  Hopefully, Eric liked the cover. 

   



Edgar Rice Burroughs Universe: The Land That Time Forgot #3

I picked this up as a throw-in.  I thought it looked interesting.  As per the cover, one of the female characters does go around with half of a top for the whole issue.  Her braid will make heroic efforts to cover her nipple.


 


I remember seeing the movie from the 70's with this same title that involved savages and dinosaurs.  I did not know it was created by ERB.  The comic book story was a sequel.  This story was basically a chase and a rescue.  The art was okay, but unappealing.  This was a mistake purchase. 

 


They weren’t kidding about an ERB Universe.  The ending leads into two other short stories.  One goes to Pellucidar (the inner world) and the other to Venus.  I did read a story about Tarzan (ERB’s most famous creation) taking a trip to the inner hollow world.  Even he was daunted by the trials there. 



I’m sorry I didn’t see this comic there.  It looks like it would have been more interesting.


 

Then there’s this crossover for which there was a short preview.  It strangely works, but I’m not sure why Don Diego needs to protect his Zorro secret identity outside of Mexico.  In any case, American Mythology Productions does produce several titles in this line.  I don’t know who buys them, but they are canonical. 


Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment