Tuesday, July 6, 2021

The Elvis Collection: Newspaper Clips 29

Here we finally come to the end of the Elvis collection.  We'll start off with some merchandise.  Collector plates are a big deal, but would seem to me way too fragile to display.  


Elvis commemorative steins. 
 



And an Elvis commemorative quarter.


I gave mom a printed article I found about Captain Marvel Jr. and Elvis on the Internet.  Elvis was a big fan of Jr.  Maybe it was his somewhat dark origin story.  

    


Elvis had one of his suits designed after his outfit.   


Elvis' Taking Care of Business in a Flash logo was inspired by the Marvel lightning.


Captain Marvel Jr. returned the favor in Alex Ross' Kingdom Come series.  Here's future Freddie Freeman in costume.  (Yes, he has the same name as the Braves' MVP first baseman.)   



And here, our odyssey finally comes to an end.  There's probably not much to distinguish this newspaper insert coupon ad for an Elvis commemorative half-dollar, except that I clipped this one myself.  It's from March 2021.  Yes, actual paper newspapers are marketed to an older crowd, but it's  amazing that Elvis is still being mass merchandised.  
 

How can I possibly sum up this collection in a couple of sentences?  It was definitely a labor of love by my mom, as first a teen crush and then trying to keep his memory alive.  Posting this all here is a way of keeping mom's memory alive as well.  She collected a lot of things, but after her genealogical research, I'm pretty sure this Elvis collection was her favorite.  Doing all this has deepened  my appreciation for him and her.

No comments:

Post a Comment