Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Trading Cards: Basketball

I'm not posting all of my sports cards or any baseball cards (to this point), but I'll post these because they're interesting.  


Somewhere in the 70's when I was a kid, someone bought a random pack of basketball cards for me.  I'd never seen the sport at the time.  Looking back, it's hard to believe who I got in one pack.  There's Rick Barry, Robert Parish, Pete Maravich, and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.  That's a bunch of Hall of Famers there.  When I showed my card collection to a store owner in the 90's, these were the only cards he thought were valuable.   






I have Dream Team cards.  The 1992 Olympics were the first time they allowed pro players to play (at least for the US).  I think the first two cards were giveaways (McDonalds?).  I bought the others in packs of Olympic cards.  I was trying to get a couple of specific female athletes (and I don't even remember who now).  I bought packs and packs and never got them.  Gosh darn, it!  Another Michael Jordan!   

At the bottom is the only other Olympic card I kept, Oscar de la Hoya.  I thought he was cool.  The other two basketball cards are prospect cards.  I had recently lived in El Paso at the time, so I was happy to keep a card with a UTEP player.  Then there's Latrell Sprewell.  This is the guy I usually blame for why I no longer watch the NBA.  (No, this was long before Lebron James and BLM.)  I do not have the time or inclination to go over that story right now.   



No comments:

Post a Comment