Thursday, July 15, 2021

Comics Review: Joan Jett and Wolverine

That’s not the oddest comic book pairing.  I could see that team up. 

 

 

Joan Jett and the Runaways

It’s another Tidal Wave comic.  I’ve reviewed Alex RodriguezElvis, and Juliet from them before.  This is about the same level of quality of art and writing.  I’d gone to work early after getting a haircut (which didn’t go well) and decided to visit Zia Comics down the street before clocking in.  I’m not sure why a generous impulse got into me (especially after my nice tip after the lousy haircut), but I thought I’d get a couple of comics for my co-workers.

 

I knew that Mike was a Joan Jett fan though I don’t know why.  In any case, I saw this on the Tidal Wave spinner rack at the store and thought he might like it.  In truth, I’ve bought comics for him before, including a Marvel Godzilla trade which is worth money now, and I don’t think he’s thought much of any of them.  (Sheesh, I even got him a DVD with all of the Star Trek comics produced by various companies up to that point and he still wasn’t impressed.  If you can find a copy of that it’s pretty awesome by the way.) 

 

Mike often relates a story about his mother throwing out all of his valuable comic books.  I’ve never figured out if it’s a real story or not.  It might have embittered him towards comics in general.     




Anyway, this comics a biography of Jett and the all-female Runaways and then with her fronting the Pretenders with male members.  (Male Members?  Could I have phrased that better?)  I can’t be more specific here since I only skim-read it once after giving it to Mike.



I did not know that Lita Ford was in the band with Joan.  I’d forgotten all about her.  It’s been a while.


I love this page here.

 

 

True Believers Wolverine

My co-worker Taylor has been sick lately.  (I have my suspicions as to why.  I can’t say anything for certain, but he fits a profile of others who have had a couple of injections lately.)  I thought I’d get him something too.  I know he’s a comic book fan and a Wolverine fan.    


I actually had this comic when it originally came out as Marvel Comics Presents #1.  It was an anthology comic and I don’t remember what other characters were in it (Cloak and Dagger?).  It may have been a weekly comic, so there was no way I was going to be able to afford to collect it past the first issue.  I wasn’t a Wolverine fan in any case; I was just collecting first issues like every other idiot. 

 

By the way, notice the difference between the two covers?  I noticed immediately, but had to look up an actual image to be sure.  Logan is missing his cigar in the new cover.       

 



It’s not a worthwhile edit on the cover, since everyone is smoking in the issue.  This reprint has Wolverine’s first three appearances in MCP.  It doesn’t have the complete story in it.  It’s just a tease.  Contents-wise, it’s Logan acting tough and getting into trouble in a really seedy environment.  If you like Wolverine, this is for you. 



Taylor didn’t come into work the day I brought it in.  I forgot to give it to Taylor the next time I saw him at work, because I was asking him about all of his medical problems.  He wasn’t doing well.  Then he worked from home the rest of the week.  Damnit!  Don’t die before I give you this!  Finally, I was able to give it to him last week.  He seemed touched.    


I got some more comics on this run that I'll review ***next.***

No comments:

Post a Comment