Friday, April 10, 2020

90's Magazines: Request Magazine May 1993


I think this was a house magazine produced by a record store chain.  I don't remember.  


There is a Dwight Yoakam interview inside, which mom was probably interested in, but the Willie Nelson interview by our old friend, Kinky Friedman, is much more entertaining.  Unfortunately, the tabloid format of this magazine frustrated my scanning attempts.  Go ahead and read it though, it's worth the effort.







I'm sure mom was pleased with also having Chris Isaak interview to read.  It's pretty funny too.  Comparing this with the US Magazine I scanned, you can see how marketing works.  Both Dwight and Chris did interviews for these magazines at about the same time and probably a bunch of other magazines and other outlets.  All throughout these magazines there was a steady stream of promotions for the same artists at the same time for their new albums.  It was kind of sickening.  I won't even imagine what it was like having to do the interviews or be interviewed. 








This bit on the back page was fascinating.  This breaks down where the money goes in the music business.

No comments:

Post a Comment