Thursday, April 16, 2020

Mike's Southwest Travels: Aguirre Springs

Main Index

Aguirre Springs

September 11, 2005

Location: Eastern side of the Organ Mountains,
Near White Sands, New Mexico

For starters, it's called Aguirre Springs, no matter what the sign says.  Ah, Aguirre Springs.  A scenic, mountain getaway?  Or a hazardous, wild animal reserve?  Read my harrowing tale and decide for yourself.

                                

"People have died?" "Snakes?"  No kidding!  You can't say they don't warn you.  And what they say about rattlesnakes is indeed correct, as I found out for myself.


Here are the Springs themselves.  Somewhat disappointing, but the surrounding landscape and the view of the valley are tremendous.




The Tularosa Basin, Sunset over the Organs, and the Elephant Head (or whatever it's called).




Here are the Lone Yucca, the Lone Tree, and Another Lone Tree respectively.  Mother Nature thoughtfully providing these photo opportunities.


My pleasant stroll about the woods was suddenly disrupted by the forewarned presence of a monstrous diamondback snake in the middle of the path.  Like the sign said, it was just as afraid of me as I was of it.  It took off one way, and I began an impromptu wilderness marathon run at my fastest possible speed.  Stupid Mr. Diamondback Snake!  This is a stock image.  My camera was shaking too bad to take a picture.


Many miles (seemingly) down the trail, I stopped to catch my breath.  And there it was, looking straight at me his his giant eyes.  A bunny rabbit!  I had watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail enough times to know how dangerous these creatures are in the wild.  I found heretofore unknown reserves of strength and endurance and the marathon continued.  Stupid Mr. Bunny Rabbit!  Once again this is a stock image, not showing the gleaming fangs and huge black claws.


High up on the hillside, you can get a good view of the White Sands military base.  Unfortunately, my camera lacks a powerful enough zoom to properly see what wicked, cool instruments of destruction they're playing with.


I had to content myself with only being able to view the occasional nuclear blast from the missile range.


One of my favorite pictures, "Moon Over the Organs."  As I took in this inspiring view, I heard a familiar rattling sound and I was off to races again.  This scene would be repeated throughout my entire trek.  I think Mr. Diamondback Snake somehow imprinted its self on me.  So, Aguirre Springs may not be the most  relaxing trip, but it is a great cardiovascular workout.

Okay, don't like my description of the place?  Here's a link to a more complete one.
AGUIRRE SPRINGS NATIONAL RECREATION AREA.  So you want a better picture of the view from the mountains?  Try this 360-degree panorama.

No comments:

Post a Comment