Wednesday, May 10, 2023

NM State Aggies vs ACU Mavericks Softball 5-6-23

 


After AggieBaseball’s win, I made my way over to the Softball Complex for the game already in progress.  I passed by Abilene Christian’s, the Aggies’ opponent, team bus on the way over.  It was done up in purple with the Mavericks’ logo.  It was impressive looking. 

 

I looked around the grandstand and saw Fan Danny there.  I sat down with him.  I did not see Melika Ofoia, former Aggie catcher and my former co-worker, there.  I thought she’d be present, since some of her teammates were playing their Senior Day game.  (I miss her cheery attitude and love of Aggie Sports at work terribly.)  I also didn’t see Ryleigh Whitekettle from the Volleyball team there to support her friend on the team.  However, there was a good crowd there of almost 500.

 

On the radio call at the Baseball game, Adam Young had said that this Softball game was meaningful.  CBU had lost their last game earlier.  If the Aggies won their game today, they’d make it to the WAC Tournament.  I’d looked at the conference standings before Saturday and was shocked that the Aggies were second to last in the conference.  I’d just assumed they’d get in, no problem, but they’d been losing conference series all season long.  Last weekend, they’d dropped three to SFA and that had apparently really hurt. 

 


The Aggies’ split Friday night’s double header against ACU.  In the Game 1, they lost 11-10, in spite of hitting 5 home runs.  Aydenne Brown only pitched 2 innings for the whole weekend.  Kristen Boyd came back and started the game at second, but came out after 2 innings.  (I was just looking for an excuse to post that lovely and dynamic picture of her.)  The Aggies took Game 2, 11-3Paige Knight had 4 RBI’s in the game.  Emily Dix did the heavy lifting in both games, but got the win here.     



I came into the game in the bottom of the second.  The Aggies scored as I sat down and tied it at 2.  I had extra scorecards with me, but since the game had already started and there was scoring, I decided not to use them.  I just scratched out some notes on the scoring.  I would end up being busy for the game.

 

ACU’s pitcher in the circle was a tall striking brunette.  I looked at the program and it listed her as “Bubba” Rote.  Officially, her name is Emma, but you wonder how that nickname stuck.  The Mavericks had an interesting pre-pitch ritual.  After the catcher pounded her glove, the rest of the infield would do the same.  It would be intimidating, if you were winning.

 

With the bases loaded, two wild pitches scored a couple of runs to give the Aggies the lead.  Paige drove in another run to make it 5-2.  Unlike Baseball, which has been lacking promotions, Softball handed out Fire Department bags before the game and then backpacks were tossed between innings here.  Dix, after heavy work yesterday, was back pitching in the third.  From the official scoring, Felicia de la Torre had started, but not gotten an out before being relieved.  I wonder if Aydenne was injured.

 

Jayleen Burton started the bottom of the third with a perfect bunt.  Jillian Taylor drove her in with a double.  Another wild pitch advanced Jill to third.  This resulted in the ACU coach going out for a meeting.  The umpires also had a conference.  It felt like a 5-minute delay sitting exposed in the hot sun.  I was glad I brought my stadium seat and cushion.  Kayla Bowen hit a home run shot into the wind that became just a fly out to end the inning.  6-2 Aggies.

 

A t-shirt toss preceded the top of the fourth.  The ACU dugout started impressively singing.  (You can only really hear the opposing dugout if you’re sitting along the third base line.)  Their batters went down in order with three popups.  The wind was knocking every fly ball down. 

 

Hannah Lindsay singled in the bottom and Savannah Bejarano came in to pinch run for her.  She advanced on another wild pitch.  Gabby Aragon came up next and doubled Sav in.  There was a play at the plate, but the umpire wasn’t there.  She was up the line at third for some reason.  (One of the other umps looked like he was 6’5” working at second base.)  Paige walked and Jessica Carreon drove in her pinch runner (Xophia Venegas) to make it 7-2.

 

ACU brought in a new battery, pitcher and catcher.  Bubba went to right field.  Talia Nielson came in to pitch.  This was the first pitcher I’ve ever seen that was wearing sunglasses to work.  A bad throw on a steal of second went into centerfield and another run scored.  A single by Kaylin Jackson brought in another run.  Kayla doubled in a run.  It was 11-2 before another pitcher was brought in with the bases loaded.  A play at the plate on a grounder finished the inning.

 

Tayelin Grays and Taylor Donaldson from the Women’s Basketball team came in and sat down behind us.  I was too intimidated today to say anything.  Danny, less shy, immediately started chatting up Tayelin. 

 

In the top of the fifth, Sav stayed in to catch.  It was a bit of a surprise to her.  Someone had to bring out an armband to her with the signs on it before the inning started.  Dix got the first two outs.  Senior Felicia was brought back to get the final out.  She unloaded two massively wild pitches.  It seemed like nerves.  After issuing a walk, Felicia got a strikeout on three pitches to end the game.  Aggies win 11-2 on a run rule.

 

I’m going to dispense with Gameballs and such, since I didn’t watch the whole game and keep score.  Officially, the game went 2 hours.  I was only there for 3 innings, but it felt a lot longer with the sun and several long delays.  It’s going to be impossible to remove pace of play rules from Baseball judging from the difference in this Softball game and Baseball game I was just at.

 

Before the Senior Day ceremony, apparently Kayla’s dad walked by and thanked the Basketball girls for coming.  The two seniors on the Mavericks were recognized.  As their team cleared out, Bubba was by dugout in tears as her arm was put in a sling.  I’m impressed with her toughness, but she should have said something if she was playing hurt.  


I’d noticed Audrey Shebloski around stands with her boyfriend during games wearing a sling.  The PA said she had medically retired after three shoulder surgeries.  My goodness.  Hopefully, Bubba avoids this fate.  (Melika is right behind her in the picture.  It made me go, “Awwww.”)   


Felicia de la Torre and Gabby Aragon were also honored.  Gabby’s family all have the same great smile she does.  Kayla Bowen came out to a litany of awards and accomplishments.  She was a bit devastated by the moment and crying.       

 

The girls had all played like they were playing to get into the WAC Tournament and seemed happy afterward.  However, I’d noticed the PA didn’t make an announcement about them getting in.  I stopped by Dominos for a delicious Chicken Bacon Ranch sandwich for dinner.  (Certainly, I wouldn’t go there for a pizza.)  When I got home, the website said they didn’t make it in.  Apparently, Adam had been misinformed about their chances.   

 

This is only the second time Coach Rodolph has missed the conference tournament during her long tenure.  They got in last season with a much worse record and actually managed to win a couple of games there.  (The schedule even had the tournament date listed and with radio coverage.)  I guess it’s because the WAC changed how they were doing the seeding this year.

 

I guess I’m doing a quick season recap right here.  I could say that competition in the WAC has just gotten better with expansion.  (This doesn’t bode well for next year in C-USA.)  Last year, the Aggies had pitching woes with a small staff.  The coach had recruited a bunch pitchers for this season, but it didn’t seem to pan out.  Aydenne Brown looked like an ace early, but maybe overwork and inconsistency diminished her effectiveness.  Nobody else stepped up. 

 

Offensively, Kayla Bowen was a star and the rest of the lineup seemed good.  Coach Rodolph even had trouble getting all her good players playing time.  Riley Carley and Jillian Taylor also finished with double digit home runs.  Jillian’s defense and ability to hit home runs and bunt for hits were worth the price of admission.  Somehow, it all never seemed to jell into consistently big offense for the team (at least until this weekend).  I hope Coach Rodolph is ready to hit the recruiting trail hard this off season for serious reinforcements.

 

I’m going to tag the team's best wins of the season as taking 2 of 3 at home against a good GCU team.  Going into that series, Ron and I weren’t even expecting a win.  I did enjoy watching this team a whole lot more than last years’.  In spite of their record, it never felt like they were a bad team.  


Obviously, my personal season highlight was meeting Ryleigh Whitekettle at a game.  It’s silly, but one never hurts for the pleasant company of a beautiful woman (even if she may have been with her boyfriend).  The second best highlight would be meeting Football player, Shiyazh Pete.  What a nice fellow.  We'll see what happens next season.      

No comments:

Post a Comment